Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

northy

I've just loaded up my ancient save file for Metroid Prime 2 and realised I'm 5 hours in and don't have a clue where I am or what's going on. I have deleted my save file and am going to start again.

Anyone else who's not finished this want to delete their save files and start playing this again in preparation for Corruption coming out soon? We can suffer through the bad design decisions together...

I can't remember where I left it. What I do remember is that the game was bitch hard, and I was always getting lost. I really should go back and finish it before 3, but can anyone convince me its worth it?

I've just loaded up my ancient save file for Metroid Prime 2 and realised I'm 5 hours in and don't have a clue where I am or what's going on. I have deleted my save file and am going to start again.

Anyone else who's not finished this want to delete their save files and start playing this again in preparation for Corruption coming out soon? We can suffer through the bad design decisions together...

Yeah, this is on my 'to play' list, right after I get through Resident Evil 4. Loved the first one.

Speaking of all things Metroid, we need a decent DS version ASAP.

Hey, I just started this last week as it's been sitting on my shelf for ages. Wanted to finish it before Corruption.

I'm about half way through I guess. It is bloody hard. Harder than the first one, definitely, and not as good. It's alright though.

My main gripe is that the level design isn't quite as intelligent as the first one. I don't remember getting lost at all in that. There have been a couple of times in this though, where I've been seriosly stumped about where to go next or how to get there. So bad I had to refer to GameFAQs or I would have just stopped. Still, as I advance, things seem to be getting better, so I'll continue.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated. :D

Just played through to the first save point, seems just like MP1 so far, but I'm sure it won't be long until the dark world tedium begins!

Fixed.

Adored the underwater music, though. And didn't mind the Boost Guardian.

This thread has made me feel guilty. :D

I won't feel that I deserve to play Corruption if I havn't completed Echos. Damn though! It just didn't seem as much fun as Prime!

Weird isn't it? I feel I should complete it before moving on. Got to the fetch-quest after killing Quadraxis(?) and just couldn't stand it any more - really forcing myself to like it. If anything, it's made me a little wary of picking the next one up straight off the bat.

Weird isn't it? I feel I should complete it before moving on. Got to the fetch-quest after killing Quadraxis(?) and just couldn't stand it any more - really forcing myself to like it.

On reflection, I've decided that playing Corruption, (assuming it's the nuts), may be the best way to entice me back to give Echos another go.

Over to you Ninty!

This thread is just a little too late for me as i've just finished Prime Marathon of playing all the way through 1 then 2. :D

The relationship between the 2 has always seemed to me to be that 2 is a challenge for those who have finished 1. This explains why it's slightly more complex & difficult. I'm not sure how Corruption's diffuclty will be pitched in light of that, but since it is the first use of a new control scheme, I'm sure it will at least start off gentle.

This thread is just a little too late for me as i've just finished Prime Marathon of playing all the way through 1 then 2. :D

The relationship between the 2 has always seemed to me to be that 2 is a challenge for those who have finished 1. This explains why it's slightly more complex & difficult. I'm not sure how Corruption's diffuclty will be pitched in light of that, but since it is the first use of a new control scheme, I'm sure it will at least start off gentle.

I'd think it's it's likely to be pretty easy in the early stages due to the popularity of Wii and introducing the franchise to new players. Hopefully later parts of the game should be reasonably tricky, but not annoyingly difficult, for us veterans.

I really didn't get on with MP2.

Lose all your weapons then back-track back-track back-track.

That's just Metroid games for ya, mate. The whole idea behind their design is that you find yourself in areas where about 30% of the doors, platforms and items are inaccessible to you, and as you progress and acquire new abilities, you realize that these are what you need to fully explore the earlier places. Done right, Metroid's areas are usually cleverly interconnected; when you go back and explore that "30%", you find that area A gradually segues into area B (this is why Super's map makes so much sense, both in terms of level design and ecology, when viewed as a whole).

MP2 actually has much less of this going on than usual, because - like Fusion - it's broken up into 'hubs' and pockets that you're not even invited to explore until you've finished the one you're currently in.

By the way, someone who's seen the second planet in MP3 described it as "moody and eerily beautiful" (and light on combat), which is pretty much the most reassuring thing I've heard all year. Let's hope he wasn't talking bollocks. :D

That's just Metroid for ya, mate. The whole idea behind their design is that you find yourself in areas where about 30% of the doors, platforms and items are inaccessible to you, and as you progress and acquire new abilities, you realize that these are what you need to fully explore the earlier places.

MP2 actually has much less of this going on than usual, because - like Fusion - it's broken up into 'hubs' and pockets that you're not even invited to explore until you've finished the one you're currently in.

Totally agree.

The design of MP2 seems much better than MP1, unlike what someone above was saying. Yea it's harder than the first but just as fun IMO. Like most people, I hope to finish it soon in time for corruption :D

I've started this about 3 or 4 times now, and each play through I get a few hours through it, get hopelessly bored and confused and give up. It's nothing like the original, which hooked me in straight away. There just isn't enough save points to be able to dip into it every now and then, you have to really sit down and hammer it for a few hours at a time, which isn't ideal for me.

I tend to concentrate on one game until I've finished it and I did the same with this, but it did my head in like few games before it. So much shit level and boss design that frequently makes you lose loads of progress when you die. It wasn't a patch on the original.

I really hated this when I first started it. I found it boring for a good few hours and actually gave up when I entered Sanctuary Fortress for the first time and kept getting destroyed by the spinny leggy robot things.

After a good few months I came back and finished it, and I was utterly blown away by the rest of the game. The design that went into Dark Sanctuary Fortress is astonishing; it's like Tron meets Hellraiser. Really tough, but utterly satisfying to play, the Spider Guardian and (nearly) final boss nearly brought me to tears but I felt like I'd really managed something when I finished the game.

Roll on Corruption!

The design that went into Dark Sanctuary Fortress is astonishing; it's like Tron meets Hellraiser.

Haha, yeah! I thought the Sanctuary Fortress was one of the least Metroidy areas in the game, but the dark version was quite amazing. Great use of colour:

darksanc.jpg

I've been playing this for most of June, on and off when I get a chance. It's a lengthy old game, I'm in Sanctuary Fortress at the moment. Sure, it's nice, but I prefer Torvus Bog for general feel. Can't beat a bit of rain bouncing off your visor.

Loving the whole thing, as usual, and haven't even had too many difficulties with the bosses. I did get a tad annoyed at the save point placement for the Spider Guardian (as I understand most people did) but the boss itself was great and made a nice change from all the blasting.

47%, 11:30 gone, it tells me. If I hadn't been sick this last week I'd have hoped to be done by now. Pesky mystery illness!