Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

northy

Well, I haven't really kept my promise up until now (hardly played MP2 in the meantime). However, I DID just finish Metroid Prime on Hard Mode. Shame I missed the Power Trooper scan and three Missile Expansions though, but I don't feel like returning to Phazon Mines for a single scan and search everywhere for some lousy upgrades :)

One thing I noticed while playing the first game was that the water effects on your visor aren't fully realistic: when you stand in the water and move around, you can only be under or just above the water surface. Shame.

Well then, I'm off the Aether: time to pick up my 5% or so save file. Should be capable of finishing this game before the end of august, as I'm hoping to play Corruption at the Leipzig Games Convention.

Got a lot further now, on to the key fetch quests. Sanctuary Fortress is amazing - lots of morph ball puzzles, lots of exploration and some great combat - some of the creatures have as many attacks as Prime bosses. The art direction is great too and actually different from the rest of the environments, it's all over too quick though, and back to mediocrity.

Spider Guardian was a bitch, but I did Quadraxis first time, there's loads of ultra energies dropped in that fight. They even see fit to fix a lot of the problems that plague the rest of the game - a beam that drops both ammo types, from enemies and crates, and no damage in the dark world - they just do it far too late, in time for the key quest and final boss. It's bizarre that they reconise the problems that plague the game, but leave them in for the majority.

Got a lot further now, on to the key fetch quests. Sanctuary Fortress is amazing - lots of morph ball puzzles, lots of exploration and some great combat - some of the creatures have as many attacks as Prime bosses. The art direction is great too and actually different from the rest of the environments, it's all over too quick though, and back to mediocrity.

Spider Guardian was a bitch, but I did Quadraxis first time, there's loads of ultra energies dropped in that fight. They even see fit to fix a lot of the problems that plague the rest of the game - a beam that drops both ammo types, from enemies and crates, and no damage in the dark world - they just do it far too late, in time for the key quest and final boss. It's bizarre that they reconise the problems that plague the game, but leave them in for the majority.

That really does depend upon whether you consider them to be problems though. It's not like Retro sat down and said let's break the sequel for the sake of it. They took a design decision which some people think enhances the atmosphere by making the environment another enemy. Others, entirely validly, argue that they feel it just isn't "metroid". So you can validly hold either opinion but saying that it's broken is really a step too far.

Horses for courses etc.

Actually, when you look of the thread title, it says it all about this game - I 'knuckle down' to work, which is what Echoes is - work. Hope Corruption feels more like play.

Yes, spot-on, I was thinking the same. I tried to get into Echoes a couple of times, but it felt like such a chore.

Well I did write that title after all, so you have a point. But, as you'll see from the rest of my comments in the thread, the more I persevered with the game, the more I felt the dark world played an important role is creating an "what I'm doing here is dangerous" atmosphere rather than making certain sections arbitrarily more difficult.

If Retro did one thing badly, they made the first areas of the dark world you encounter visually bland which isn't exactly going to spur you on if you take issue with the design decisions. Actually they did another thing badly with a few examples of dodgy save point placement before bosses. That's just cruel.

Woo - finished. Did the end boss first time, but died on

Dark Samus

The game had some nice touches, hiding in a light dome in the dark world whilst Ing Warriors appear and dissolve all over the room, and the Rezbits with their Virus attack were both 'wow' moments, but for the most part it's a confusing slog.

• 2 weeks later...

Just done the boost guardian after about 10 tries. Didn't really feel like skill at all and I had to forfeit scanning him to be able to get an early shot it. Not impressed, hope there aren't any other bosses like that.

Bah, I thought I'd try and finally finish this off. I found the two final Sky Temple keys and now I'm on Emperor Ing, in the two or so years since I've last played, I have lost all my skill and dexterity in controlling Samus and Emperor Ing is proving to be a chore. I can get to the third stage no problem, but I'd like a few tips from then on, if possible. I can damage him, but I can only dodge one of his attacks with any real consistency - the one with the multiple lasers. When he charges or jumps, I can avoid his attack but nearly always get caught in the aftermath unless I screw jump. And I'm far too ready to hold on to the lock on button.

Any tips on how and when to aim to hurt him would be helpful too. I've noticed the the screw attack really messes him up, but that's damn difficult to pull off!

My heart skipped beat when I saw "2 weeks" then. Too bad its a sham for old PAL pants here.

I totally didn't notice this thread, but by sheer coincidence, I played through this this week and finished it for the first time, having given up on it originally. Loads of fun, but boy is it tedious sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched every Youtube video and read every strategy. I don't have enough light ammo or missiles to get it done.

I've played this so sporadically I have absolutely no idea what the story is, what my mission is, what I'm supposed to do. Maybe I should just start a new game.

"I have absolutely no idea what the story is, what my mission is, what I'm supposed to do. Maybe I should just start a new game."

Don't sweat it - I felt the same while I was playing every night. Got to the part where I had to go on a collect-a-thon before the final boss and just admitted it to myself - I hate this, I'm forcing myself to play it, it's really dull. You should start a new game, just not Echoes.

Godamnit man you're right. I'm gonna play through Metroid Prime again, loved every second of that.

Funnily enough, that's what I was going to write - I'm doing the same at the moment (although about to start Bioshock in a minute). Haven't played it since the November it was released - it's so polished and well put together.

he's PIMPSY...

... wait till you get to...

*gulp*

SPIDER GUARDIAN

I didn't think the spider guardian was that hard. Apart from the very last bit you have to do on it (the 3 bomb slots at once, reminded me of castle quest with the torches) where it kept deactivating for some reason I thought it was very good design and always felt like skill.

The boost guardian however just felt like luck, took me over 10 attempts. The key for me was to give up the 100% scans and get 2 shots in straight after his opening animation sequence before he morphed.

I don't like hard games, but I loved Echoes.

Sure, I died a few times on some of the Guardians, (Boost, Chykka, Spider) but I even as i died i could see the way to beat them & it was just a matter of pulling it off. This methodical memorisation of attack patterns & how to counter them is probably why I love the Prime series but don't like "proper" FPS's, so I hope Corruption is constructed similary.

I didn't think the spider guardian was that hard. Apart from the very last bit you have to do on it (the 3 bomb slots at once, reminded me of castle quest with the torches) where it kept deactivating for some reason I thought it was very good design and always felt like skill.

The boost guardian however just felt like luck, took me over 10 attempts. The key for me was to give up the 100% scans and get 2 shots in straight after his opening animation sequence before he morphed.

the spider guardian was a great boss... a change of pace as well.

It's just a pity it had such a badly positioned save point