A top 100 games thread- thoughts?

therearerules

Probably best to wait until most votes are cast and then go through the list and make a decision on each then.

Meanwhile, carry on coming-up with ever-more complex ways of entering the same game's name - every 5th person who votes manages to make me work a bit harder it seems :lol:

Future was better: bigger environments, no time limits, better spraying, better music...ah, I'm not getting into this again. :lol:

Ah, but I clearly missed these arguments back in the day, so I'm definitely getting into this: what you say is clearly the first sign of madness!

1 - it's what you do with it that counts

2 - the spraying was worse

3 - the music wasn't half as good

You're right about the time limits, mind.

This needs sorting:

SM47's Top 10

1. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

2. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

3. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

4. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

5. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

6. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

7. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

8. Rise of the Robots

9. Mercenary

10. Iggy's Reckin' Balls

And also how your script deals with multiple copied entries.

I'm gonna sit on that one for now because there's a few games in the same boat (potentially)

All the BS games have 'subtitles' so a vote for "Broken Sword" should be read as a vote for the first game - much as 'Tekken' would be (rather than as a vote for the series).

I just hope people realise that's what they're voting for :)

Daytona and Daytona USA are the same game I'm pretty sure. Any chance of special casing that. I mentioned the arcade game specifically the other guy doesn't say but it could be on the saturn too. Does that matter?

EDIT: Don't know why I quoted that post exactly except that it prompted me to comment being tangentially related as it is.

Ignoring (or at least flagging-up) duplicates is on the list of things to do.

Posts like SM47s would probably be better-off deleted tho - or I can just add him to the 'ignore list' if you like? :)

People quoting other posts (and rambling too much) is 'discussion' and should be deleted too really - just to make the final walkthrough that-bit-easier? ;)

Daytona - and Outrun 2, Tekken, some SF games etc. for that matter - have the issue of 'Arcade' or 'Console' too - some manual checking may be required if we want to differentiate?

Mario Kart and Super Mario Kart are the same game (same theory applies to Mario 64 already so I'll add that).

Daytona - and Outrun 2, Tekken, some SF games etc. for that matter - have the issue of 'Arcade' or 'Console' too - some manual checking may be required if we want to differentiate?

Whilst I may face the wrath of the purists, I don't think they warrant separate versions. Street Fighter II is Street Fighter II. The arcade original may have had more animation, the best controls, the best sound, but it's in no way a massive leap from the SNES conversion. We're no longer in the dark days of the 8-bits where an arcade conversion was practically a separate game.

Version differences ought to be brought into play when the versions are suitably different - Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive, Master System and 360 was brought up earlier, they're all different games. Alien 3 on the SNES was a whole other game compared to the MD, Amiga and C64 versions, and the Game Boy version was something else on top of that.

It can be pointed out that many arcade games get extra features when ported - Virtua Tennis 3 and Outrun 2 being examples. I think for those, we'd have to look at the core game and the extent of the differences - if it's fair to say that the arcade game features almost entirely within the home version, a vote for the arcade game should be treated the same as the port. If there's a big difference (Silent Scope, perhaps?) then treat them separately.

I don't think too many people would object. After all, it pushes the game up the list, and they can all argue over the best version of it when the results come out.

Street Fighter on the SNES is different to the Arcade. Definately. Not least of all if you played it in this country, you had big borders and it ran slower.

Street Fighter on the SNES is different to the Arcade. Definately. Not least of all if you played it in this country, you had big borders and it ran slower.

And yet it's still recognisably the same game. I don't think slowdown equates to a substantially different game, enough to warrant a completely different listing. People who enjoy the SNES version are going to enjoy the Arcade version, almost entirely without fail. Therefore it stands to reason that a vote for the SNES one, or any other port*, means a vote for the Arcade one.

Are we going to have to separate PAL and NTSC games as well then?

*bar the Speccy port, we don't want the list infested with masochists

And yet it's still recognisably the same game. I don't think slowdown equates to a substantially different game, enough to warrant a completely different listing. People who enjoy the SNES version are going to enjoy the Arcade version, almost entirely without fail. Therefore it stands to reason that a vote for the SNES one, or any other port*, means a vote for the Arcade one.

Are we going to have to separate PAL and NTSC games as well then?

*bar the Speccy port, we don't want the list infested with masochists

C64 port?

RE4 Wii and RE4 GC are the same game right? Except for the extra content and differing controls.

Original RE and RE on the GC - 'same' game?

Daytona 2001 (DC) is a substantial update on the arcade game I think - Outrun 2006 adds even more?

Ridge Racer (Arcade) and (PS2) the same game?

Messy isn't it? :)

I think the Top 40-50ish will be fairly easy to sort - but the bottom 50 (particular the last 10-20) could become a real PITA as people argue what should and should not be considered the 'same game'.

I suggest - rather than focussing on getting 100 - we see how many games get a significant number of votes. If only 60 (for example) games get at least 5 (again for example) votes - it may be worth 'cutting our cloth' at that point rather than arguing over games which just a couple of people voted for...?

ATM 368 unique (nearly!) games have been suggested by 114 voters - and only 50 of those have 10pts or more - that suggests we'll need at least as many people again voting to have a half-decent chance of an honest/worthwhile 100...

We'll have to see ofc.

You're barred ;)

I did that to stop your 'example' counting as 3 votes :)

When I put that in I don't think you'd voted in a separate post tho?

I can make the script cleverer when I get 10 mins :)

It's alright, we can add mine manually when going through the results.

It's alright, we can add mine manually when going through the results.

I assume that when Silent Hill 2 and Killer7 rocket to the top we shouldn't be suspicious? :)

therearerules is now de-barred (I'm just ignoring his first-post in the thread)...

The following posters votes aren't counting because they've not numbered their votes tho

Droo, Marzipan_Travolta, Matt!,Melon_Bread, Pilotwings

SM47 only registers 3 votes but as his post is just a troll it should probably be 0 - shall I bar him? :o:wub:

is it just me or did the list on theedgeofthevoid.com show the games in order of score at one point? And then stopped and now just shows the games (in alphabetical order) that have been voted for but not their 'score'...

is it just me or did the list on theedgeofthevoid.com show the games in order of score at one point? And then stopped and now just shows the games (in alphabetical order) that have been voted for but not their 'score'...

It's not just you, it's been done like that for a little suspense.