IGNORED

Boredoms play with 77 drummers.

scribble

I dunno about Boredoms. They seem to be one of those Japanese bands that start off underground in Japan, and then become much more popular overseas with the "cool" kids or "cool" media. Another example would be Shonen Knife, or possibly more recently Polysics.

You have to ask yourself, at what point does playing with 77 drummers become pointless, meaningless, pretentious arsery?

I dunno about Boredoms. They seem to be one of those Japanese bands that start off underground in Japan, and then become much more popular overseas with the "cool" kids or "cool" media. Another example would be Shonen Knife, or possibly more recently Polysics.

You have to ask yourself, at what point does playing with 77 drummers become pointless, meaningless, pretentious arsery?

I have no idea what point you're trying to make here. Are you really being elitist enough to suggest that you dislike them because they've had the misfourtune to become relatively well known outside of Japan? I've certainly never met a Boredoms fan who could be remotely described as 'cool' either.

And of course 77 drummers is pointless and pretentious but that certainly doens't make it meaningless. Maybe it's just, you know, fun?

Nah, Thats not it. I am a big fan of Polysics and they are even more well known outside Japan.

Its just Boredoms seems to be weird druggy hippie stoner nonsense. Ever read an interview with the main bloke?

He has either geniunely lost the plot or just lost his head up his arse, and I think its the second.

Another thing, I seen a performance of that Eye bloke, and all he did was scream and shout into a microphone for about 2 minutes, It was funny but anyone could have done it. Doesn't stop the youtube commenters saying "Sensational" or "He is a God".

I may go see them in Dublin soon, but I also have an inkling that your point is valid. Recently saw Guitar Wolf at a festival and it was really just atonal screaming and power chords. Jumping off the amps and stuff was entertaining but it wasn't especially impressive.

Nah, Thats not it. I am a big fan of Polysics and they are even more well known outside Japan.

Its just Boredoms seems to be weird druggy hippie stoner nonsense. Ever read an interview with the main bloke?

He has either geniunely lost the plot or just lost his head up his arse, and I think its the second.

Another thing, I seen a performance of that Eye bloke, and all he did was scream and shout into a microphone for about 2 minutes, It was funny but anyone could have done it. Doesn't stop the youtube commenters saying "Sensational" or "He is a God".

God, I really do fucking hate you, honestly I think you're my least liked forumite.

So, who from Ireland is going to catch this at the DEAF Festival? Meet up? Get pissed? Watch some drums?

I may go see them in Dublin soon, but I also have an inkling that your point is valid. Recently saw Guitar Wolf at a festival and it was really just atonal screaming and power chords. Jumping off the amps and stuff was entertaining but it wasn't especially impressive.

But they play music, Eye did this -

"Ohhh! its so deep!"

• 3 weeks later...

I was there. I thought the venue was shit. Too hot, and too difficult to see anything. I had a much better time at the Arches in Glasgow. It was full of Japanese people and I was much taller than them so I could see everything clear as day. Good night tho'. Bagged myself a tshirt. <_<

I can't say I was bothered about the venue, I spent the majority of it with my eyes shut anyway and there was a girl stood in front of us with a hand fan so the heat wasn't much of a problem. What was the merchandise like? I didn't notice it myself but one of my mates who did said the stuff wasn't much to write home about.

Ha, I was stood to the right of a girl with a fan...you must've been merely feet away!

The tshirts were like the one eye was wearing, but in a variety of colours. It's nothing flash, just some writing, but I quite like it anyway. I have a nice little collection of gig tshirts now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I got Super Are from Santa today and HOLY GOOD FUCK! It's phenomenal! Where do I go next?

:( As Rsdio said, Vision Creation Newsun. Ahh, it's so bloody good.

Any word on a DVD of 77Boadrums yet? Surely it's going to happen...

• 7 months later...

For those waiting on a DVD of this, Vice are putting up a new segment every day of a documentary of the show. It's up to Part 4 as of today, with the show just starting:

77 Boadrum

Also! 88 Boadrum, organised by The Boredoms and Gang Gang Dance (all sponsored by Nike?!) is happening tomorrow in New York and LA (08/08/08 innit) with 88 drummers on each site, so keep your eyes peeled for any videos/mp3s of that:

88 Boadrum

99 Boadrum for next September I guess, assuming they haven't run out of avant-rock drummers by then.