Super Furry Animals appreciation thread

PETE FOWLER WHERE ARE YOOOU

I read an article about SFA recently somewhere that they asked Fowler to do the artwork for 10 years worth of albums, those 10 years are now up so they all talked at length and apparently they all liked this guy's work... who's apparently influenced a lot by pizza toppings

• 2 weeks later...
It's definitely an album which grows on you like something wonderfully infectious. Some great stand-out tracks, but mostly it all swims along nicely.

Pete Fowler *is* SFA. To get rid of the fella isn't a good move, although his online mail order company did shaft me (not literally, ahahagahohoh), so sod him.

Playbeast? Oohohodko[g. They can be unrealiable at times. ristar from the forums is still waiting for a crate of monsterisms.

Anyway, Hey Venus is the third SFA album in a row to be a grower. I can't believe how many people have skipped Mwng, it's a worthwhile listen because its nowt like any of the other albums, besides the obvious welsh lyrics thing.

• 1 month later...

Off to see the Furries tonight, can't bloody wait! Apparently there'll not be many costumes and visuals but as long as there's a big rave up freak out at the end of Slow Life I'll be happy. They're being supported by a guy called Jim Noir who last.fm likens to Beta Band type stuff. Apparently he did the music for a Ginster's advert ;)

Going to buy a load of cheap t shirts and cover them in sick and sell them outside as unoffical shirts by the fella who did the album artwork, bound to sell bucketloads

Wow, that was brilliant! I guess I'm officially old now as we went straight upstairs to the balcony as soon as we got in. Glad we did though as the place was absolutely rammed and normally some tall cunt will come and stand right in front my girlfriend, but we had a a perfect view last night and the band were superb.

After a very bland and monotonous opening set from Jim Noir, who sounds nothing like the Beta Band incidentally, SFA couldn't have come on quick enough for me. Opening with Baby Ate My 8Ball, the band were as tight as possible from the get go and 8-ball sounds great live, after a quick guitar change we're into three songs which a lesser band would have reserved for their encore; Golden Retriever, Do or Die and She's Got Spies. Spies in particular is fantastic, when they hit the distortion the sound is MASSIVE.

Back to the new album next and the first two tracks of it, followed by Northern Lites and then another new track, Battersea Odyssey, which is the only track of the night that bores me slightly, it's a bit too repetitive with not a lot going on to work live I think. Zoom's up next and is so good that I feel like going back to that album again tonight, it's been in my head all day. After that I stopped noting the tracks and just enjoyed the show fully.

Having seen them on the Phantom Power tour, last night seems a lot more stripped back, there's no electronic rave ups to be seen anywhere and the only 'costume' is Gruff's helmet, but this is just as enjoyable as on that tour. The strong set list continued with pretty much every big SFA song minus Hermann Loves Pauline and no Gucamole ;) but as one of my friends pointed out, with most bands, even the ones you really love, after about an hour you normally feel with every song that you wouldn't mind if they finished now, but at no point last night did I feel like I'd seen enough and they played for somewhere in the region of two hours. An excellent night then and one I'd recommend to all. Oh, and Bunf's voice was superb, as good as, if not better than on CD.

I even bought an ugly album artwork shirt :o:D:(

• 1 year later...

Bought the album off SuperFurry.com last night. I've listened to it twice all the way though, and its fantastic. Not sure where it lies in the grand scheme of SFA yet, but its definetely a good 'un.

I'm slightly dissapointed there's no trademark Cian Acid House mindfucks, but I guess we've got plenty of them already.

It's finally clicked, i listened to it 4 or 5 times in a row last week, but i just couldnt get into it.

This morning, i put it on and kept thinking "oh, i really like this one... and this one!". So in conclusion: hurrah, but not enough acid technofreakouts.

• 4 weeks later...

So be listening to this a lot since getting it last week.

What can I say, except possibly my fave album by the Furries since Radiator. From the wigged out Crazy Naked Gilrs to White socks/Flip Flops there aint a stinker on here.

By this album now. Genius just about covers it for me.

P.S. I aint just saying that cos I'm Welsh. 10 albums and SFA are ok in my book.

Picked this up in the BangCD 24hr sale today - it was listed as £8.99, but for some reason went into the basket at £7.99. A voucher that ought to have expired yesterday took it down to £6.99, and they do 10% Quidco too :lol:

So all in all I should be getting this for £6.30ish! Looking forward to it too!

Yay thank god someone else is getting the album. Because its bloody brilliant IMO.

It sickens me that the Doves thread is at the top of the page and the SFA thread = mid page obscurity.

P.S. Doves aint that bad, just not a patch on SFA BTW