Beginner PvP gear and it's worth...

Graham

Howdy fellow folks of Ravenholdt and other fine PvP realms,

I've managed to ding 60 and 70 with various casual characters without ever really taking PvP seriously.

Upon hitting 70 on my rogue I started doing the Arena with a couple of guildmates and find that with my picked up through questing PvE gear I get sliced and diced so very quickly that I'm effectively useless.

I spent most of yesterday in AV earning points and honour marks - and thoroughly enjoyed myself - and now have a plan to earn myself the Grand Marshal's rogue set to give me more of a chance of survivability in the Arena, allowing me to start learning and earning Arena points for spending on Arena kits and weaponry.

So my question is is the Grand Marshal's leather PvP gear worth the effort? I can currently afford two pieces - and have a selection of other marks earned over the past 70 levels to go towards the other pieces when I have enough honour again.

It's certainly a step up from my PvE gear in terms of the stats that I think must be important in PvP (resilience, stam, agi) and only somewhat of a sideways step in stats like crit and attackpower. Is there something else I should be driving toward? End of the day I figure I have these honour points and bg marks so they're wasted if I do nothing with them - but am unsure whether Grand Marshal's is worthwhile.

As a stepping stone to getting Arena gear it's a must in for PVP now. I would go with the non HWL set belt, boots and bracer first mind, but that just me. The Gloves have a nice deadly throw bonus with is very useful in PVP and just getting two pieces of the set gives you a +35 resiliance bonus which is nice.

'HWL' is the high warlord stuff.

I've been using the pvp stuff to fill in gaps in my gear where I've not come across decent pve gear. The extra stamina & resiliance helps loads in the arena but I still go down quick as hell if the other team decide to focus fire me. As a clothy my best bet is to try and hide at the back & try and annoy the healer (although shadowburn is ace for stealing killing blows from the melee peeps :o ).

Dont worry about the AP nerf, in PVP (especially Arena) mitigation is way more important. So being able to take more of a beating, reduce crits from your opponent etc is what you want. Any socketed stuff just ignore the socket bonus in most cases and just stick a Solid Star of Elune (+12 stam) in every gem slot.

Definitely start with 2 pieces of the set I'd say to get the +35 resilience set bonus.

Dont stop playing arena while waiting to gear up though. Just make sure to do 10 games per week and you are earning points.

Probably best going straight for a main hand weapon. Even if you lose the arenas you still get awarded points.

If your arena rating drops real low after 4 weeks or so, if you really do lose all 10 every week, just create a new team.

Its best to do 3man as you will get more points than 2 man. 5 if best of course, but found the queues can get a bit long sometimes.