IGNORED

John Carpenter

chalkitdown

Nobody ever mentions Starman in a John Carpenter thread. And fair enough, some of you might think it's shit, but I rather like it. It's the kind of uncomplicated blockbuster that doesn't seem to get made these days. No convoluted twists, just good, solid story telling.

No one ever mentions his Elvis flick he did with Kurt either but it's equally watchable. He gets pigeonholed as a horror or thriller guy but really, he's done a variety of stuff. Starman's probably the sweetest thing he's done, and nice little films aren't what you immediately think of when you think of JC!

I'm probably in the minority that enjoyed The Ward, I doubt it'll be seen as a hidden gem like Mouth of Madness in years to come (and for me the first hour of that movie is near perfect in terms of tones and scares) but on the big screen is was surprisingly effective, although it did feel strangely dated and out of step with the times.

Seems a good as place as any to post this though-

• 2 months later...

My copy of Lost Themes arrived today. It's pretty good stuff. Vortex - the track released as a promo - is probably the standout track, but there are a number of other really nice ones on there - Wraith is excellent.

I sat listening to it wishing that these were all for upcoming movies to directed by Carpenter. :):(

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just watched the Thing last night for the first time in a few years and every time without fail those creature effects just make me zone out in a state of 'how the fuck did they do that / that's fucking disgusting' like no other film. Those puppets and models are just so good. I'll never forget the first time I watched it, I don't think I've ever watched a film before or since in such a constant state of awe (though parts of District 9 came close)

Still the daddy of horror movies (sorry alien) in my opinion .

• 3 weeks later...

Decent interview with him in the Hollywood Reporter- especially as interviews with him tend to be quite rare nowadays- he sounds pretty happy watching basketball and playing video games- would be very easy for him to sound bitter but he doesn't. New album on the way... new film... maybe.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-carpenter-speaks-halloween-secrets-834754

He recently sued Luc Besson over Lockout being such a blatant knock off of Escape From New York/LA. When asked about the Metal Gear series, however:

"[CanalPlus] wanted to also go after the video game Metal Gear Solid, which is kind of a rip-off of Escape From New York too, but I told them not to do that. I know the director of those games, and he’s a nice guy, or at least he’s nice to me."

JC and HK, bros 4 life.

Did anyone ever see his Masters of Horrors episode? I watched Cigarette Burns which was kind of terrible, partially due to the script though, but never saw Pro-Life.

On the John Carpenter website there's a section with all the Sutter Kane book covers from In The Mouth of Madness so you can be Sam Neill and cut and create your own map to insanity with them.

mmbsab6.jpg

mmbsab7.jpg

http://www.theofficialjohncarpenter.com/pages/themovies/mm/mmbts/mmbtsbooks.html

Kojima (and a bunch of other old-school game designers) are fucked if Hollywood starts taking them to court routinely. James Cameron alone would put half of them in the poor house. Walter Hill would have to clear his diary for the next decade to clear court time against the developer of pretty much every 2D beat em' up.

• 3 weeks later...