Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Forza is flawed only in so far as it doesn't do proper tyre emulation and certain attributes are missing.

If it did these you would NOT be able to use a Pad.

But hey as appealing to the massmarket goes it gets VERY close. Everyone i know agree's on that.

And its not like T10 arn't capable - I don't doubt for one second they too could program my "favorite game" - but was a decision that had to be made.

Its not one i always agree with because i have a wheel and ALL the companies make that decision but what can you do?

Treasure made massmarket platformers, they were good and they are still very much respected by the hardcore.

Suffice to say that in making the transition from one to the other and back again you find that they're both very playable.

Joe tried out the Corvette ZR1 at Le Mans and Chunx the Ferrari 458 Italia on the Top Gear Test Track. Both cars had less grip than their racing counterparts, in part due to their street tires with lower operating temps and grip levels. Of course, you have about a half-dozen tire compound options in GT5, ranging from street tires all the way up to three types of racing tire compounds. Just to get a better flavor of the handling, different tires were chosen, as they'd be fitted to the real cars — Chunx chose high-performance street tires for the Ferrari . Joe noted that while the powerful ZR1 could approach 200 mph on the Mulsanne, the car caused the driver a great deal of trepidation as the nose started to get light and the car darted around on the imperfections in the pavement.

The Ferrari could easily be over-driven into a corner, with the result being massive understeer. Conversely, an abrupt right foot could snap the rear end loose and turn the car around in the corners. Pretty much what you'd expect from a car like the Ferrari. Best of all, Chunx had some real "Jeremy" moments as he performed a lurid power slide out of Hammerhead that were very difficult to maintain, easy to over-cook and felt very realistic (really, more realistic than FM3, where that edge of the physics model seems to be toned down a bit). We think that the street cars are where GT5 really shows its strong physics engine, because of the reduced grip level of the street tires and minimal downforce on these high-powered cars.

Oh Clarkson's gonna fit when he reads that

:lol:

Yeah, I tend to find it quite intrusive. When I'm driving IRL, I don't notice the A pillar, top of the wheel or any of the instruments even though they are in my line of sight. In games, I find these things are too visible, if you see what I mean? It's liek you can't focus past them or something.

Well, that's because you're still looking at a 2D screen, right?

Funny, this:

"+4 respect"

"-1 respect"

:)

Don't worry, the joke's on them once the backlash on GT5 begins. ;)

No game will ever be perfect; my 'own' Forza 3 isn't either, though pretty close. I've played both franchises rigorously, therefore I have a pretty balanced view on the two, I reckon. Owning (or having owned, that is) multiple platforms opens your eyes immensely.

I just hope the GT series has evolved with this 5th iteration. Not that it has to have a multi-screen option, storefront, auction house, elaborate paint mode, in-depth tuning mode, theatre mode for photos and replays (although the latter's a bit shit in FM3), damage or any of that other stuff that FM3 does. GT5 will at least have 16 players online, dynamic weather, lovely visuals, 60fps @ 1080p, a lot of tracks and that. Looking forward to see what else they'll be revealing in the run towards launch day.

GT3 made me buy a PS2 back in 2001 for 1200 Guilders (€600 or £450). But to be fair, I didn't have a mortgage then, and more time and money on my hands.

For £400 I could get a Fanatec Porsche wheel instead...hmmm.

Well, the PS3/GT5 fanboy defence force start negging this post again I suppose. Do your worst!

Oh Clarkson's gonna fit when he reads that

:lol:

Why? That guy writes 'seems'. So he's not sure either.

Power slides are easily over-cooked and difficult to maintain in FM3 as well, although he has a point about the physics model being toned down a bit in order to keep it a game, not a frustrat-o-fest like so many PC sims. :P

Not sure if I agree with your tire simulation remark earlier, though. Because you haven't used a proper FFB wheel with FM3, I seem to be recalling. ;)

No....lest you foget...

i use a GT wheel on my PC/PS3 and i own an offical MS wheel plus the Logi "emulated FFB" wheel.

In fact i still do now as i've got that back. Just need the WS Pro adapter for that.

But the tyre emulation is more detailed in Rf - its acknowledged the world over.

Much better vid of Z4 in the rain. (amongst other things).

And a suby at the Eiger circuit (appears to have been shortened with various loops available).

I'll be fair here and comment that none of the rain videos appear to be 16 player as yet. Given the added fidelity, i'll be surpised if they maintain a true 16 player experience, although i did note the circuit isn't drawn as far in the rain (obviously).

Whether that means you get optimisation gains because of that i'm not sure. It would be a massively efficent engine if so.

One other thing...

I honestly think people are going to scream at playing this in the rain with a high powered car on a pad. And that includes me as my set-up is optimal (The Ps3 is downstairs until we move!)

And a suby at the Eiger circuit (appears to have been shortened with various loops available).

Dammit! No bonnet cam in GT5. That really is a massive fail for me. :(

If you watch as the views are switched in the above video, that's clearly a roof cam on display (as proved by the intake/vent on the left).

I was listening to a podcast where they were saying that the framerate isn't locked at 60fps now they have the weather effects in place. So although it looks nice, with 16 cars on track and standing starts etc, expect it to chug at times.

They usually get around that with the Vsync off - so what happens is rather then chug, it'll tear first - like GT5P.

If it chugs AND Vsync is off then they'll clearly pushing the system to its limits.

Digital foundary will no doubt test this theory soon enough.

I hadn't noticed the standing starts!

If you watch as the views are switched in the above video, that's clearly a roof cam on display (as proved by the intake/vent on the left).

I tend to play in car these days - i've found that with the added inertia it works a real treat. Its kinda hard if your learning the tracks because the slightly different Depth of field puts you slightly off where you'll want to brake, although the track learning tools in GT5 are exceptional, even so far as giving you optimum position and speeds for corners if your going to fast.

Bonnet cam's my preferred choice as well. When you look out of a cars window, that's what you see. Those clever in-car views leave only about a third or quarter of the screen as visible road. The usual GT view is ok, but still gives the impression of floating over the ground. Out of car views rarely work for me, it can look like one of those ancient arcade games where you actually controlled a plastic car in a fixed position.

Bonnet cam please.

Is it me (hello again!) or does it appear the car's floating in chase cam view? Looks very weird. Also, almost no body roll over the suspension. And it looks as if a picture of the car has been stuck on the screen in chase cam view.

Bonnet cam's my preferred choice as well. When you look out of a cars window, that's what you see.

That's where you look. I hope for your sake you're seeing more than that...or I'd never dare sitting next to you in a car. :facepalm:

Or do you press your nose onto the windscreen all the time?

Isn't it bonnet cam at 40 secs into the scooby in the rain vid?

No, it's the tip-of-the-roof cam. The air intake is on the left.

The merits of bonnet cam and in-car view, etc., have been discussed before and each to his or her own preference is my take on the whole debate.

The reason I can't get on with in-car is the vastly reduced size of view it presents. Just like when driving in real life, if you drive with in-car view, the brain will filter out all extraneous surroundings. Unlike the genuine article though, you're left with a relatively tiny portal through which to view the world.

Bonnet cam simply replicates the brain-filtered view but on a much larger scale.

As I said, each to his own, I don't care what view anybody else chooses for racing, but if Polyphony are offering third person, bumper cam and roof cam(?) options, then the very least they should do is provide a bonnet cam.

AFAIK no-one's posted this yet...

As a driving sim layman for whom the Top Gear track is the only potential reason for being interested in GT5, I find that video most interesting as an illustration of the subtly different ways two developers can interpret the same features of a real-life track.

Is it me (hello again!) or does it appear the car's floating in chase cam view? Looks very weird. Also, almost no body roll over the suspension. And it looks as if a picture of the car has been stuck on the screen in chase cam view.

Well, anyone with any racing game knowledge should know the GT series chase cam view is utterly tripe, always has been, an is never, ever, used owing to its fixed cam.

Seems to be lacking in bonnet cam though, unlike Forza. Not that i play in that mode.

Hmmm! Surely that's roof cam in GT5. As in looking down from the roof at a sharper angle to the end of the bonnet, as opposed to the F3 view which shows more of the bonnet's length?

I'm confused.

Whoa, that Forza cockpit view has been pushed back way too much there (you can 'adjust' the 'seat' in-game*) making it look really fish-eyed. The tarmac in GT5 looks like it's been steam-rolled yesterday though. Way too slick. GT5's also more colourful and better lit than FM3, although the trees look a bit flat in GT. Better head inertia in GT5 too.

Really interesting video!

*you can adjust the viewpoint 'lens', basically. Much like a fisheye lens.

Fugitive, the roof cam means it's fixed onto the tip of the roof. Bonnet cam means it's placed just before the windscreen, onto the bonnet.

Like glass? It's just worn-out tarmac, like the real track...grey instead of newly-looking black. And I did mean appearance-wise, aye. :)

The bumping makes no sense though (GT5),

for instance. As if they're hitting speed bumps or summit. It also looks narrower than FM3's version (or the real one).