IGNORED

Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

They should just not bother putting the AI in at all, its shit and its always been shit in GT.

The only game in the series that had any kind of challenge was GT2, and that was because all the race series had horsepower restrictions.

But, I guess its not about the AI, its a driving simulator, not a 'racing' game. I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (apparently its out for delivery, but my office is closing when the markets close and its thanksgiving tomorrow so I might be waiting until Friday) but when it turns up, I'm looking forward to doing all the licenses, and just driving around in all the different cars. That's where my enjoyment comes from.

But, I guess its not about the AI, its a driving simulator, not a 'racing' game.

Ah, that's one shot in the GT apologists' drinking game. :)

If it isn't meant to be a racing game, then why is the vast majority of content centred around racing? It's always been a bloody awful argument to excuse the AI failings, and remains so now.

(Incidentally I don't own the game yet, so the racing could be much improved over previous titles for all I know...)

Anyone had the game crash on them?

It's happened to me twice now.

Just finished the beginner FF challenge and the game froze.

3 races worth of progress gone.

In addition to this the load times take the piss!

This is after I have installed the game.

The time it takes to load into a Championship is unacceptable.

Where's the sane, level headed and objective GT5 and FM3 comparisons people?

As a long term fan of both I was planning to do one. But I'm waiting for a single aspect of GT5 that isn't unspeakably dreadful after an hour or so.

Thus it'll have to wait a bit.

Ok, initial impressions are not that great to be honest. Admittedly I have only played a couple of quick races, but so far the graphics have gone from PS2 era on some tracks to slightly better than Forza 3 (german track). The handling though is absolute gash. Whereas you can actually control cars in F3, GT5 just has it going into a static 4-wheel slide when cornering if your speed if too fast, which is quite hard to tell considering that sense of speed is pretty naff. Theres no chance of drifting and applying the power either. Its not like it was just that one car either as I tried 4 different ones (not all front wheel drive), and more or less they all felt and controlled the same other than the top speed.

I can't judge it too harshly though as I have only played for 10-15 minutes, but I am hoping that most of the effort went into career / multiplayer modes. I'll plough some time into it this weekend and hopefully shake off this initial sense of doom / disappointment.

Keep those searingly negative impressions coming chaps. I'm looking for reasons not to bother with this.

Right now my official impression is that there's a good time trial game hidden underneath here. I actually disagree with the physics comment above so far.

The trouble is, there's so much useless shit to distract you from racing. For instance you don't win cars, you win tickets to get cars, then you go to an icon to claim it, at which point you get the car. WHY.

So actually as presented it's not even a good time trial game because you can't drive anything. I sense the physics engine is better than Forza 3, the graphics are about the same. Literally everything else has so far enraged me.

I'm off tomorrow, it will get a proper workover with both pad and wheel.

What's the go-karting like?! Sadly, that's the thing I wanna do the most. That and the Top Gear track.

Just tried that out, the AI was utterly bunk in the first race but the physics (although I'm only using pad right now) has a lot of promise. They're rear brake only karts and they do step out on you.

I thought Forza 3 - my favourite game - was dreadful for the first couple of days what with the 2 lap races in slo-ow cars on truncated tracks a mile and a half long.

So keep at it, I'm sure GT5 will improve by a great deal as you get further into it; and don't forget to report back as you progress.

:)

ARRGH! It's zombie Jeff Gordon!

I thought Forza 3 - my favourite game - was dreadful for the first couple of days what with the 2 lap races in slo-ow cars on truncated tracks a mile and a half long.

So keep at it, I'm sure GT5 will improve by a great deal as you get further into it; and don't forget to report back as you progress.

:)

Oh to a degree I'm sure. And the wheel will help. But Forza didn't construct such elaborate barriers between you and the fun.

Mine seems to lock up for 20 seconds or so when I return to the title screen before giving me a server connection failure :facepalm: I don't need the cunting server, just let me play the bastard thing. And the first Top Gear race is too hard, just let me unlock the fucking track!!

Other than that it's good so far :)

Well, I don't understand all the negativity. Admittedly, I have only just scratched the surface but the presentation and atd is leagues ahead of all other car games. I like it a lot, and instantly adapted to the driving model, unlike a lot other racers out there. This and FM3 are definately my car games of choice. Just pure racing, no turbos or tricks.

But it's really futile to judge this without prolonged playtime. Like the introduction to GT mode says, welcome to the World of Gran Turismo.

I can't comment too much on the driving or racing, because I've only completed a few baby races. It doesn't seem very different to Prologue so far in that respect, though, and the AI is, as everyone's said, poor. Plus, I'm only using a DS, which is not the greatest analogue control system known to man. But I've been pretty disappointed with the way the game's presented - sure, the menus are slick enough, but they're just so unresponsive. I've regularly clicked on an icon to be given no indication what's happening while I sit there for sometimes over a minute waiting to see what the damn thing does. The stuff that's connected to the internet's the worst - I've had server disconnections too which hold the game up even though I'm not playing online - but it also happens in travel photo mode (or whatever it's called), and in various other menus. Once I sat waiting for a couple of minutes to get out of a menu choice, and on another occasion I ended up just switching the game off and starting it again, as that seemed the quicker option. It also takes ages to load a course even with the 50-minute long optional install I did at the beginning.

It could be a good racer (although there's no indication it's much different to Prologue in that respect), but it's just too slothful and cumbersome to be any pleasure navigating, and the game is built around navigating, seeming to relish your having to click little buttons and jump through little hoops to get anything going (see the earlier poster's comment about not winning cars, but winning tickets, and having to go into the deliveries menu to claim the tickets, then using them to get the cars). All this would be fine if it didn't take forever to do anything.

They obviously mean you to get pleasure from these little gratifying fancies, but there's no pleasure when it takes an aeon just to unwrap them, however shiny the wrapper. I can see this becoming a chore (I already don't fancy booting the game up again simply because of the length of time it'll take to get to the bits I want), which is a great shame. Perhaps I'm just impatient with unresponsive UIs, though, so if you're not so impatient don't be too put off by my comments.

Oh man, the load times are killing this for me. How did this game pass certification?

Aye, it's not for the impatient.

Totally agree with you about the menu lag, Gorf. Have had a few server unavailable messages and silly button lag, and one time the cursor disappeared completely and I was left to wait for the demo to start to bring it back <_<

Yup, exactly the same thing happened to me in addition to the issues I mentioned above.

I'm really, genuinely sorry to appear so negative about stuff that's not even driving/racing. But as far as interface performance goes, this game's barely entered the Age of Steam. I guess if the core game and mechanics turn out well, hardcore race fans will be only too happy to overlook the performance issues off the track; but casuals who've become used to quick, easy-to-navigate interfaces might want to think twice before purchasing this one.

Anyone with a wheel enjoying the handling?

Yeah, I thought it was rather impressive from what I played last night, the physics are proper good as well I thought. Online in combination with forumites, steering wheels and bacon will certainly rock. Maybe that alone will be worth that PS3 purchase for me.

As for the rest of the game...do you now see what I've been warning you guys for? I hate to say I told you so. And that'll be my last cunty trolling remark. I rest my case. -_-

More playtime for me Thursday night. :)

Oh, I also think (hope) the loading issues will be patched out eventually. However, they didn't bother me too much to be honest.

Have only had a handful of races so far (a couple of Arcade races, completed the Sunday Cup) and am really liking it. It's just... Gran Turismo only with graphics that made my wife say "that doesn't look like a game!"

Load times seem to be a bit of pain though, but I've thought that about every PS3 game I've played (though the ps1 comparisons are redicuous, go back and play one!). I'm hoping the install sorts things, ine has just finished after 30 minutes...