Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Downloaded it against my better judgement - right enough it wanted an update but I declined so I could have a go.

Where did it go wrong ? GT used to be a technical showcase (GT3 on PS2 nearly made me shit myself) - this has tearing, framerate problems, a sparse trackside crowd who don't even react when you hit the barrier right next to them, bland low-res texturing (the London track looks terrible) and the handling, so far (not tried any right good cars to be fair) is not satisfying at all.

I did install the update after this and instantly it seemedd better - how much of that is down to the sexy views from within the car I'm not sure.

No way is this worth £25.

Downloaded it against my better judgement - right enough it wanted an update but I declined so I could have a go.

Where did it go wrong ? GT used to be a technical showcase (GT3 on PS2 nearly made me shit myself) - this has tearing, framerate problems, a sparse trackside crowd who don't even react when you hit the barrier right next to them, bland low-res texturing (the London track looks terrible) and the handling, so far (not tried any right good cars to be fair) is not satisfying at all.

I did install the update after this and instantly it seemedd better - how much of that is down to the sexy views from within the car I'm not sure.

Pretty much how I felt too.

Paying for what is a glorified demo really left a bad taste in my mouth, I got rid of it pretty quick then back to good old Forza.

It's been heading that way since GT1. Like they're still making a vanity game. A good game but still a vanity one.

If they spent 10 minutes in a room with just about anyone from this thread and actually listened they could improve things a massive amount.

Blimey. You could have bought it for £15. Never mind huh, I guess Sony win ;)

I quite disagree. A friend of mine loaned his copy of the game to me (since I had to return my review copy about 4 months ago), and I've had brilliant fun once again. Mostly with the 'overtake all cars in one lap' event with the F430 - revving it all the way to 9.000 NEVER bores. And the same goes for the other cars: all of them are beautifully captured in the game, in terms of looks, sound AND handling.

The winner since the last update is definitely the new online event: everyone racing with Lotus Elise 111R /Tuned on High Speed Ring. Now THAT is close racing. Can't wait until tomorrow night!

I had it for about a week on rental, and the F430 was the only car I half-enjoyed driving. I finally uploaded my replay last week: self-promotion!

Taking the first turn in third gear? And the second in fourth? Seems to me you can accelerate a lot faster out of the corner by shifting down one more. Might be just me though. I'll try and see if your technique results in faster times.

I did about fifteen races in the online Elise 111R /Tuned class once again. MAN, it was tight! It's the perfect car for close racing, and you throw it about but it's still well controllable at all times, partly because of the forced Standard setting (which I don't really mind that much).

And just a quick question to those who finished this: will getting a trophy on all events give you an F2007 without having to pay for it? I read it somewhere, and it would really be great, since I spend most of my money on other tuned cars and don't really feel like saving up.

I quite disagree. A friend of mine loaned his copy of the game to me (since I had to return my review copy about 4 months ago), and I've had brilliant fun once again. Mostly with the 'overtake all cars in one lap' event with the F430 - revving it all the way to 9.000 NEVER bores. And the same goes for the other cars: all of them are beautifully captured in the game, in terms of looks, sound AND handling.

The winner since the last update is definitely the new online event: everyone racing with Lotus Elise 111R /Tuned on High Speed Ring. Now THAT is close racing. Can't wait until tomorrow night!

So it's good but not good enough that you'd spend £15-£25 on it ? ;)

So it's good but not good enough that you'd spend £15-£25 on it ? :)

Yeah, I'm just a cheapskate :) My friend didn't play the game at all anymore (after unlocking somewhat most of the cars, that is), and I was only planning on picking this up when it goes for about a tenner. However, I've got a couple of mates coming over for my birthday party next week, and most of them love cars as well, so I'd like to treat them to some drives with the R8, NSX-R and F430 (and hopefully, the F2007 by then).

Either way, I'm so going to play this some more tomorrow (got a day off). First to get the Ford GT to do the last selected car event in S, then to get the Tuned one for the final tuner races. Will getting any trophy on all events get you the F2007 as well btw?

Cheers dude - I actually found that yesterday and couldn't get it over to my PS3. The example seemed to imply there'd be loads of files but there was only 1 - I put it on my N95, attached to PS3 via USB, went to game saves, hit triangle and "display all" but it wouldn't see the file so I tried it with the file in the folder it came in - didn't work either.

So basically where do I put the file on the PS3 and how do I get it there using the XMB ?

Cheers dude - I actually found that yesterday and couldn't get it over to my PS3. The example seemed to imply there'd be loads of files but there was only 1 - I put it on my N95, attached to PS3 via USB, went to game saves, hit triangle and "display all" but it wouldn't see the file so I tried it with the file in the folder it came in - didn't work either.

So basically where do I put the file on the PS3 and how do I get it there using the XMB ?

Yeah the guide there isn't that clear. Here's what I did to get it working:

1) Backed up current save file to usb stick and put that on my laptop

2) Deleted save file from PS3

3) Create a folder on the usb stick called PS3. Within that folder create another one called SAVEDATA

4) Download the new save file from the above site. Unzipped it. Put the NPEA00050-GAME- folder in the SAVEDATA folder on the usb stick

5) Attached usb stick to PS3. Went to save game menu (i cant remember exact name) and it'll show you all of your current save files but also the USB stick. Go to that and you'll see the GT save file, and select copy

You can take those corners faster in the lower gears, but I couldn't avoid unsettling the car when using a pad. Also notice me drifting wide at T3 (understeering is the best way), and taking the wrong line slightly on the last turn. My replay should provide a good reference for pad users; if you've got a wheel, you can disregard most of it.

Jackie Stewart said he took a number of corners a gear higher than Jim Clark during races, because the benefits to downshifting were negligible, but more likely to cause a crash.

(With a wheel you have full steering lock at all times, I believe. The pad's handicapped by variable lock, which - while making the handling more manageable - slows you down a fair bit.)

I see you've added me on PSN, that's nice ;) Too bad there isn't an option (yet?) to play GT5P against friends.

Either way, I'm having a really hard time taking corners like you did: I keep having major understeer when trying to tackle the corners in a higher gear, which is actually a lot like the real thing (a car usually gets better controllable in a lower gear). Did you tweak the settings one way or another?

The Spec III update is here - with "NEW CARS!!"

The Evora's pretty shit though, kind of a waste of 100.000 credits. It handles alright, but seriously lacks speed. I'm saving up for the California and Citroën GT concept now, good thing I've got all weekend to do so.

Also: the gameplay has been tweaked. I've already noticed how the Standard setting makes cars handle even slighty easier, which isn't that bad actually. Also, it's FINALLY possible to tweak the controls for player 2, improved responsiveness when using the wireless controller and more prize money for the existing events. Too bad they removed the Lotus Elise 111R /Tuned online cup though...

They really need to stop this type of thing :

Disclaimer Note Here: Rankings, arcade time trial times, drift trial records, as well as vehicle-specific quick tune settings and custom key layouts will all be reset with the new update. Replay data created before the second update will no longer be viewable after this update. To confirm the version you have before updating the game, check the in-game manual.

Spec III :unsure:

I've not played this for ages and only got it up to spec II the other day.

III is a rather neat one though :( Too bad there's no damage yet, but the cars and options aside, the handling of the cars actually feels better now.

I'm happy to have you added as a friend, Joe; people from your part of the world have good connections, don't they? And you're obviously into driving games. GT5 will arrive one day...

You can do quite a bit with the settings, but that video is from a time-trial where you can't change anything.

Cheers. I'm aiming to be a motoring journalist one day, so yeah, I'm at least trying to get connected with a lot of people (mostly in the automotive industry). Still enjoying writing about 'virtual motoring' for now though.

Speaking of Prologue: it's a good thing the prize money went up (50k for gold on the final event), otherwise it'd really take ages to get the Citroën GT - now it's a matter of 20 races, theoretically speaking. Too bad I still need the Ford GT /Tuned for two events (seems to be the fastest tuned car around), and I still really want to get my hands on the California.