Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Poor show.

I'm not sure if the update itself shows it, but "Spec III" is on top of the menu screen all the time now. And not without reason, seeing the added cars, the extra options and mostly, the improved handling.

Also, the Ferrari California is an absolute joy to drive, but dear lord, is it ugly on the inside. I am starting to like the front better though, mostly because of the shark nose styling. I'm saving up for the F2007 now, mostly by doing the "Overtake every car in one lap" events with the F430 and F40 (last one nets about 50k every 3 minutes)

• 3 months later...

It's... too... shiny!

Seriously: in terms of lighting, this just looks beyond realistic. I do hope Yamauchi will realize that by the time he makes GT6 (or better yet, GT5). Aside from the lack of damage, the fact that cars still look perfectly shiny after hours of racing really annoys me in GT.

The man has once arrogantly stated he just "can't" play other racing games because they're "not as good" as his own. But he should really take a very good look at Forza 2 and PGR4 for this.

Prologue's alright particularly patched up to specIII - but it left a bit of a taste in my mouth in as much as you could put it side to side with GT4HD and you'd be pressed to tell which was which. GT's have always pushed their host hardware technically (3 left me speechless for days after my JP copy arrived) and this one simply doesn't. It's the familiar old adage that if you have a 360 and have played PGR's, Forza2 etc there's nothing in it to mark it out from them. Indeed, Forza2 destroys it.

The online multiplayer component is beyond shocking.

• 4 months later...

Doesn't seem to be much of a buzz about this.

I thought the E3 trailer looked amazing!

It was news to me that they had that the WRC license. I would presume that means there is an entire Rally career mode which is incredible.

Nascar not so exciting for me, but nice nevertheless.

If they have got some decent AI for the CPU cars this might well be the last bit of coercion I need to pick up a PS3.

I don't suppose anyone knows if there is any chance that GT is going to take a leaf out of Forza's book on the custom paintjob front do they?

I'm finding it a little hard to believe they have come from prologue which kicked up a fuss and dropped frames if you hit the dust at the side of the track, and had screen tearing everywhere - to pits full of people milling around and it looking like it does in that trailer. I don't buy it.

I'm finding it a little hard to believe they have come from prologue which kicked up a fuss and dropped frames if you hit the dust at the side of the track, and had screen tearing everywhere - to pits full of people milling around and it looking like it does in that trailer. I don't buy it.

I find it pretty hard to believe that Sony would launch a misleading hype campaign for one of their flagship products.

Why - PS3 is a very fillrate limited system lots of transparent particles murders the fillrate. Pit's full of people would cause significantly less of a problem unless they were all transparent or there was lots of smoke!

In some respects it looks miles better then F3.

I mean, i didn't think they could push the 360 as far as they could (i've always thought the PS3 was a more powerful graphical powerhouse) - but still, GT assuming these are in game, look amazing.

If they have got some decent AI for the CPU cars this might well be the last bit of coercion I need to pick up a PS3.

Isn't GT online these days? AI doesn't matter, certainly not given Forza's strength as an online racer. Who plays AI? :lol:

It looks stunning, but no release date so I'm trying to remain calm. I'd have like to have seen some gameplay footage as well as the trailer, but trailer aside the info on the game is as sparse as it's ever been.

I thought the E3 trailer looked amazing!

Because it's the same kind of vid they've been throwing out for 3 years now.

That said, if the Nascar has 43 cars on track at once I'm interested, otherwise it's somewhat worthless. Not a great sign that I only spotted Chevrolets in the trailer.

I find it pretty hard to believe that Sony would launch a misleading hype campaign for one of their flagship products.

* Dies laughing *

I'm intrigued. First signs of damage in the WRC shots and what might be dynamic weather in the last shot. Personally I'd just like the ability to play private races with my friends. I mean we've only been waiting ten years!

I tried to play Forza 2 after GT5: Prologue but i couldn't. Cars just look like they're made from plastic. No comparison IMO.

I tried to play Forza 2 after GT5: Prologue but i couldn't. Cars just look like they're made from plastic. No comparison IMO.

I really like both racing games, but in the end GT5: Prologue never gets more than a showroom game for me. Its physics and feeling don't even come close to those in Forza 2, and although the cars do look stunning, they never look like proper racing cars - the lack of (minor) damage and dirt both contribute to that.

Don't get me wrong: GT always manages to capture the beauty of the automobile in a very elegant way, but overall it's not as much as a true racer as Forza 2.