Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

I had bought the Japanese version of Prologue when it came out and I hadn't touched it for a really long time. I tried again over the weekend but got really pissed off at not understanding any of the text, so I went MAD and bought it on the PSN store (A few too many beers I think). You know what? I don't actually regret it. Well, I mean, it was a lot of money for what it is, but I started from scratch and was really enjoying myself.

There are still a load of problems which I really hope get ironed out. Some races were booooooring, and the AI was boooooring. But for some reason on some other races the AI was actually fun to race against, making mistakes, being a bit mental, pulling some good moves etc. It made it feel less like I was in a traffic jam and more like I was racing against a bunch of different people with different skills.

I'm looking forward to all the modes shown in the trailer. Nascar could be fun with full damage, and the rally will be interesting. Will it be as good as other rally games? I hope it will be at least comparable.

It's looking set to be a nice little package really.

I find it pretty hard to believe that Sony would launch a misleading hype campaign for one of their flagship products.
* Dies laughing *
Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Google Killzone 2......

There was me thinking it was obvious enough without a massive twating winky afterwards, I guess not.

Ahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Google Killzone 2......

Ha. That's probably the worst example. Most people said it looks just as good as the target render and in some ways, surpassed it.

I like how everyone likes to remember target renders Sony uses but no one seems to bat an eyelid at the whole Project Natal make-believe conference video.

Ha. That's probably the worst example. Most people said it looks just as good as the target render and in some ways, surpassed it.

I like how everyone likes to remember target renders Sony uses but no one seems to bat an eyelid at the whole Project Natal make-believe conference video.

Nobody likes Sony - didn't you get the memo ? :rolleyes:

Except for the animation.

My main problem with Killzone 2 is the single player campaign makes me feel nauseous, and the imagination displays pales in comparison to Gears of War 2 (which it's taken me 6 months to pick up).

On the other hand, I did spend a good 25 hours or so playing the multiplayer, so it's not all bad.

I had bought the Japanese version of Prologue when it came out and I hadn't touched it for a really long time. I tried again over the weekend but got really pissed off at not understanding any of the text, so I went MAD and bought it on the PSN store (A few too many beers I think). You know what? I don't actually regret it. Well, I mean, it was a lot of money for what it is, but I started from scratch and was really enjoying myself.

There are still a load of problems which I really hope get ironed out. Some races were booooooring, and the AI was boooooring. But for some reason on some other races the AI was actually fun to race against, making mistakes, being a bit mental, pulling some good moves etc. It made it feel less like I was in a traffic jam and more like I was racing against a bunch of different people with different skills.

I'm looking forward to all the modes shown in the trailer. Nascar could be fun with full damage, and the rally will be interesting. Will it be as good as other rally games? I hope it will be at least comparable.

It's looking set to be a nice little package really.

Well indeed, but you could have got it on disk for half the price :)

Nascar could be fun with full damage, and the rally will be interesting. Will it be as good as other rally games? I hope it will be at least comparable.

Gran Turismo 4's rally driving with a Driving Force Pro wheel = amazing. Loved it. So chuffed that the GT5 trailer seems to suggest that there'll be proper point-to-point rally courses :)

The rally events in the GT games have always been pretty good. Hopefully we'll see more point-to-point races rather than laps, and more events to tie in with the WRC license.

Not as fussed about the NASCAR thing. Never watched it and the American oval tracks have always been the most boring in any Gran Turismo title.

The Playstation mag seems to be leading with this next month. Hopefully we'll get some more information of confirmed tracks and vechiles and not just a ten page blow out of info taken from disecting the E3 trailer!

Sat down this evening and started playing through Prologue again. I lost my save a while back and the recent talk of racers (this and Forza 3) left me wanting to play something for four wheels. I always forget how much I enjoy some of the lower powered stuff. Not the really slow things, but stuff like the Focus and Integra just have great handling and reasonable power they're a joy. Now I just need to finish the game and save up for the F1 car again - it was crazy amazing. So much power, grip and breaking power.

One thing I'd not noticed before is just how shit this game looks at times. Yes the car models are pretty good (too shiny really) and some of the tracks look okay, but they're all devoid of life. But worst of all is the mirrors. They're functional but all the detail goes missing and it sticks out like a sore thumb (worst for this is the Daytona infield sections - just green, grey with floaty cars)

The evening also showed me just how great the NASCAR licence could be. I love the "pass all cars in a lap" challenges and when on an oval is shows why this kind of driving does actually require skill. Perfect drafting is a must. Then I did the Integra single model race which is round the Daytona and it was a joy. With a lap and a half to go I got into the lead. But out of the last bend and penultimate straight I was slipstreamed and passed with a lap to go. I could easily have passed him down the next straight with the draft but I held off, feathering the throttle to hold station until the perfect moment when I slingshotted past and took the win. One of the only times in a racing game where I've really had to do anything other than "get to front, stay in front".

GT5 must be better then!!!!111one!

The rivalry between 'fans' of these two games has been some truly pathetic shite tbh, they both look great, will play great and offer one hell of a serious racing experience, why can;t people just, ynkow, enjoy that?

The rivalry between 'fans' of these two games has been some truly pathetic shite tbh, they both look great, will play great and offer one hell of a serious racing experience, why can;t people just, ynkow, enjoy that?

I don't think you get this whole 'videogames' thing... :(

Oh I don't give a toss about either game, but Turn 10's WE ARE TEH GT KILLER attitude is some true playground level shit. Let the game do the talking guys.

Oh I don't give a toss about either game, but Turn 10's WE ARE TEH GT KILLER attitude is some true playground level shit. Let the game do the talking guys.

I'd imagine that F3 and probably 4 will be doing the talking by the time we finally get GT5. :( I wonder if they are using all this time to figure out some AI and like most other games some damage. Not that I wont end up buying it anyway, even if it turns out to be a tarted up GT4.

The way I see it is that GT caters for the kind of people who drool over fancy cars in catalogues and showrooms, and who care a bit less about how the mechanics underneath their bonnets work. The Forza series caters for those who love to tinker with said mechanics to get the most out of a race. Forza certainly puts the emphasis on technical racing more than GT does, and cares a tad less about presentation.

Up until now, that is, seeing that FM3 raises the bar in the series for graphics and presentation.

In any case, it's good for the racing 'sim' genre to have 2 competing titles.

Where have you seen that?

The E3 presentation was nothing but goading the competition with comments like "we're going to own the racing genre", and then recent comments like:

Basically we’ve proven ourselves, that we can deliver a simulator no-one else can touch. For this version we made improvements but we’re actually running out of improvements to make because no-one else is doing the stuff we’re doing.

source

Is quite clearly directed at GT. I mean it's all part of the song and dance of promoting a game to a point, but I've found Turn 10's relentless chest beating unnecessary.

Oh yes, and then there was the entry posted on Turn 10's blog regarding Polyphony actually checking out Forza at E3:

The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all.

source

I mean he's perfectly entitled to his opinion, and he may be bang on the money, but it's always a little classless to directly slag off the competition, especially when they've taken the time to check out your work.

The E3 presentation was nothing but goading the competition with comments like "we're going to own the racing genre", and then recent comments like:

source

Is quite clearly directed at GT. I mean it's all part of the song and dance of promoting a game to a point, but I've found Turn 10's relentless chest beating unnecessary.

So what about Polyphony's attitude where they don't acknowledge any other racing game but their own as the pinnacle?

So what about Polyphony's attitude where they don't acknowledge any other racing game but their own as the pinnacle?

Oh sure, I mean I'm not out to defend PD, just pointing out how abrasive Turn 10's PR has been. It all just seems a little childish.

Oh sure, I mean I'm not out to defend PD, just pointing out how abrasive Turn 10's PR has been. It all just seems a little childish.

It's not childish. If you believe that, then you don't understand how PR works. It's stiff competition and willy waving. Showing your guns. Cold war.

It's not childish. If you believe that, then you don't understand how PR works. It's stiff competition and willy waving. Showing your guns. Cold war.

Oh I don't claim to be an expert in PR, just calling it how I see it. You won't find too many devs openly bad mouthing the competition though, as it's usually seen for what it is, disrespectful and childish.

I think GT5:Prologue, viewed in the context of a Prologue and not a 'full' GT game is excellent.

It 'feels' good, looks incredible and I can't remember many issues with it online. Because it's been so long since GT4 (which in all honesty felt a bit over bloated next to 3), I'm really looking forward to GT5 and getting stuck into another 'proper' GT game. The WRC and NASCAR additions just add to that anticipation for me.

Oh I don't claim to be an expert in PR, just calling it how I see it. You won't find too many devs openly bad mouthing the competition though, as it's usually seen for what it is, disrespectful and childish.

I don't see where you're getting at. Turn 10 merely said "Forza is the definitive racing game", whereas Polyphony states that GT is "The real driving simulator". One says 'racing', the other 'driving'. Why is one of them childish and/or 'bad mouthing'? Turn 10 never said that GT is crap or anything along those lines. You are imagining things, sir.

I don't see where you're getting at. Turn 10 merely said "Forza is the definitive racing game", whereas Polyphony states that GT is "The real driving simulator". One says 'racing', the other 'driving'. Why is one of them childish and/or 'bad mouthing'? Turn 10 never said that GT is crap or anything along those lines. You are imagining things, sir.

Well you can see from the quotes I posted on the previous page that it went a bit beyond that, but I think the topic has been suitably dragged far enough off course with this.

Either way, I totally agree that competition in the genre is good, and in the end it's probably a good thing if both Turn 10 and PD are so committed to coming out on top.

It 'feels' good, looks incredible and I can't remember many issues with it online.

No problems with it online? The lack of a proper way to play with your mates is a pretty big deal (and how it then leads to a lot of races being cut off early, because the unknown guy who is acting as host has spun off the track and quit the race)...

It's a prologue, yes, but even many free demos do have proper online play. Not to mention they said they'd be giving it a big update last Fall, with online options and car damage, but it didn't happen, and still hasn't.

I'm massively excited about GT5, but to be fair in hindsight, Prologue hasn't worked out quite like it was meant to.