Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

I'm just hoping GT5 gets released on the PS3 and not the PS4 or whatever. I really loved GT3 but 4 just felt a bit like a chore. I loved the rallying in 3, I hope they don't break it.

Some online shops are saying 25th September. That's massively unrealistic, innit? It'd be getting hyped to shit by now if that was the release date.

They do that to attract preorders.

Its Polyphony. They are like Blizzard. If you want to know how long it is before the game will come out then you need to do a bit of math. You figure out how many months there are between today and the rumoured release date. Then you double it and add a year.

13160023hv5.jpg

Those shots give a whole new meaning to the term "back seat driver"...

Why is the camera so far away from the windscreen? It looks ridiculous. The dashboard takes up more than a third of the screen at the bottom and the roof takes up even more above.

I presume they must be taken from the photo mode or something, that can't be one of the in-game cameras.

New rear mirror view shots just in

s_PolePosition_2.png

Looks like PD are really putting the work in now, should be ready soon!

Edit: Shit, looks like tearing in the bottom left. Leadbetter's going to need to post a new Digital Foundry feature.

Look at the antialiasing on the wheels, PS3 memory bandwidth strikes again, SonyLOL

I thought it was the worst by some way. The handling was incredibly safe; everything felt like it was FWD. The series hasn't yet recovered in my eyes.

The original was my favourite. Proper knife-edge handling and a sense of motion in that one.

Did you have the assists off? I don't see how the handling was safe in the more powerful classes, especially the S cars.

Why is the camera so far away from the windscreen? It looks ridiculous. The dashboard takes up more than a third of the screen at the bottom and the roof takes up even more above.

I presume they must be taken from the photo mode or something, that can't be one of the in-game cameras.

Maybe the driver likes a reclining seat. Does look a bit too far back.

wow there really is no detail in that wing mirror is there
Final GT5 Prologue has shitty mirror detail too.

I must have a special version then, because the detail on the mirrors when I play it is pretty good. Certainly not like what you see on those screens, and more than enough to do its job.

I must have a special version then, because the detail on the mirrors when I play it is pretty good. Certainly not like what you see on those screens, and more than enough to do its job.

I think the first version had shitty detail but the later patches improved it a lot.

Unless you want there to be a "look at the dials" button, you need that kinda angle so you can see both the track and the speedo and stuff...

I think the first version had shitty detail but the later patches improved it a lot.

Ah, that would explain it. Now that I think about it I do remember something about the mirrors looking dodgy, but I played it again recently (well a month ago) and remember the mirrors actually looking perfect.

I thought it was the worst by some way. The handling was incredibly safe; everything felt like it was FWD. The series hasn't yet recovered in my eyes.

The original was my favourite. Proper knife-edge handling and a sense of motion in that one.

Have to admit it's been a loooong time since I played the first 2, but 3 felt way better than 4 to me. The fifth (although Prologue) is still the best to me in terms of physics and gameplay, and that's what's it all about in a racing game like this.

Still, I reckon the PS3 controller isn't that well suited for realistic racing: the triggers just lack a solid feeling for the pedals. The 360 pad does have that enough though.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah right, how is the game supposed to be balanced if you're whipping out a fully customised car to which you've probably modified to the tits? It's just not going to work unless they opened an entire online mode just for it. And that sounds pretty un-fucking-realistic to me.

What he said twofold.

Developers have to stop seeing the human eye like a camera - our field-of-vision and what we see are different things.

Our eyes concentrate of part of our field of vision at any given time - so whilst I'm typing this my field-of-vision includes my fingers on the keyboard, the mouse to my side, the almost empty bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes to my right and allsorts of other things but I'm only 'looking at' this bit of this editor on this webpage on my desktop.

Cramming (in that case MORE than) an entire field-of-vision onto a screen monitor which is some distance from me is a 'mirror within a mirror' trick and looks shit.

Driver's eve view should really be 'top of wheel - edge of headling - bit of A pillar - bit of bonnet perhaps - but 90% 'the road ahead' because that's what driver's look at (well decent ones to anyway!) :)