Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Damage and AI may be limited, but it will take the amount of insects in the air (calculations based on local data, weather conditions and the season) into account in the driving model so that every mosquito hitting the windscreen will have a slight impact on the car's handling model.

:) ISWYDT.

I'm just suprised about the lack of hype for GT mobile, that's one of my most anticipated games this year.

The PSP isn't short of driving games - the problem is it's input system just doesn't work all-that-well for them - so I'm struggling to see what amazing things GTMobile will offer.

It's more-than-likely going to be GT2-and-a-bit with shonky controls - unless they admit that the nub is a comedy effort and actually develop decent controls for the dpad and get around the lack of analog throttle/brake somehow (which I just can't see them doing).

September/October 2009 is a pretty big month for racing games, with DiRT 2, Forza 3, NFS, F1 2009, Blur etc. If Sony has any sense, they'd realise the series is getting a bit long in the tooth, people getting bored of it, and that releasing GT5 alongside a load of other racing games expected to be top class might be a bad idea.

Its hard not to come across as Trolling when having a go at Sony for stalling on this game.

Its half the reason for the PS3 constantly disappointing. Delays.. polishing..delays..more polishing...

GT5 should have been released when Prologue came out. If anything we should be discussing GT6.

The only thing they've got right is Killzone 2. And thats probably not very popular anyway.

I'm sure it'll be good but they just need to make the experience more tense and exciting....all this stuff about being a driving simulator doesn't apply anymore so as long as they understand that - and what makes a great racing game when translated to a videogame you'll have your Forza killer.

In many respects it certainly looks better but they need add more to the highly technical nature of the previous games.

I get the impression it will suffer the technical unbalance of the other games. you know?

They get many areas right nay perfect, but for racing excitement, thrills and spills they've been overtaken and that unbalances the game so it becomes like a sim that people will tire off rather quickly.

Is the Gran Turismo brand ( and graphics ) so important in 2009 / 2010 anyway?

I look at something like Dirt 2.. and that looks better than GT5.

If this does come out in 2010 as well... the boat has gone.

No way. GT5 prologue has sold a shitton, probably enough to finance some of GT5 proper. It's still a massive franchise.

I'm sure it'll be good but they just need to make the experience more tense and exciting....all this stuff about being a driving simulator doesn't apply anymore so as long as they understand that - and what makes a great racing game when translated to a videogame you'll have your Forza killer.

In many respects it certainly looks better but they need add more to the highly technical nature of the previous games.

I get the impression it will suffer the technical unbalance of the other games. you know?

They get many areas right nay perfect, but for racing excitement, thrills and spills they've been overtaken and that unbalances the game so it becomes like a sim that people will tire off rather quickly.

Sorry but I disagree here, I found gt4 much more exciting than both forza 1 & 2 and in terms of car selection, presentation and different modes on offer the gt series is second to none. The only real bad thing about the series has been the a.i so if they can fix that then this is gonna be special.

Well i found the lack of any damage and AI made GT4 a breeze to sail through - bumping cars on corners to gain places and just generally getting a fast car - moving into first place and then being on your own for much of the time. To be fair - whilst the tracks were nice, we'd played something like 60% of them before in the other games....so this didn't help.

Its been a whilst since i played it mind...

Maybe he meant at that time, rather then the current sales figures. Well, thats how i read it.

GT5 prologue is fully downloadable from PSN and download sales aren't counted by VGchartz (Wipeout HD sold a grand total of zero according to VGchartz :lol:)

GT5 prologue is fully downloadable from PSN and download sales aren't counted by VGchartz (Wipeout HD sold a grand total of zero according to VGchartz :lol:)

I don't see why that's relevant, since the 4 million figure for GT5 prologue was taken from a Sony press release - not VGchartz.

Fair enough. Particularly as for some, a PS3 is a Gran Tourismo player.

I actually doubt there's any significant number of people 'waiting' for GT - it's just been too long for people to care...

Racing games have moved on (in fairness they moved on some time ago) - GT has become a museum-piece/coffee-table game which concentrates on things few people actually care about anymore...

Somewhere in Japan there's a lavish studio where ridiculously anal people craft perfect cars and tracks for a game which hasn't fundamentally changed in years - if they'd not made SO much money and a reputation for themselves back then, they'd all be on the dole now but instead they're eating through their wealth thinking people care about them...

I suppose there's a chance they'll eventually pull something worthwhile out of their hat - but past-history suggests it will just be a more polished, shinier but not 1 iota 'better as a game' production.

It will probably SELL of course - hence why they do it - but why anyone who actually likes games would care about GT anymore I'm really not sure...

IGN :

From the sound of it, there will be 1,000 vehicles in the game, 60 courses, full physics-based realtime deformation damage on all cars with 170 of them also incorporating interior damage, a completely new physics system (with possible rollovers), an online replay album, YouTube support for uploading replays, custom soundtracks, and the return of Gran Turismo TV. One other curious note is that the PlayStation Eye can be used as a full 3D head tracking system, which would mean that not only does it track movement left and right, but forward and back as well, resulting in the ability to move your in-car view left, right, forward and back.

Could it be.... :eyebrows:

Latest Gran Turismo 5 information released at gamescom.

The latest information on Gran Turismo 5 has been released at gamescom, held in Cologne, Germany, since August 18th [sic].

Here’s the contents of the release:

Cars:

1,000 models

170 premium models (interiors, damage support)

830 standard models (taken from GT4 and made compatible)

Courses:

More than 20 courses; more than 60 layouts

Car Physics:

All new physics simulation

Car roll

Damage (perfect recreation of impact deformation)

Faithful recreation of the latest hybrid cars’ handling: Prius, Insight (sp?) and Tesla

Arcade Mode:

Single Race

2 Player Battle

GT Mode:

World Map

My Garage

Car Dealerships

Tuning Shops (parts, tyres)

Car Wash

Championship Race (Series, points system)

Licence Test

Online:

Open Lobby

Text/voice chat

Private room

Online photo album

Online replay album

Replay output to YouTube

Photo Mode:

Photo Drive (Circuit)

Photo Stages (Special stages for Photo Mode)

Gran Turismo TV:

Video output to PSP

Progressive download

Improved user interface

Continuous playback

Museum:

Information added on top of GT5 Prologue version

Sound:

Custom soundtracks (using tracks stored on the PS3)

User Interface:

Same design concept as GT5 Prologue. Icons now in colour.

Movement of the cockpit camera now possible via face tracking (interiors can be checked out in 3D)