Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Damage video:

http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_gran_turis...s-12436_en.html

I wonder why the Lancer doesn't get damaged?

It's not one of the 170, maybe?

It's very pretty game though; Polyphony certainly know their lighting techniques.

Also, for some reaon, the handling model in cockpit view in the first video looked a bit.... um.... off?

Still, with the PS3 only £249 now you say......

IGN Hands On

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015537p1.html

Kazunori Confirms GT Details

First off, Kazunori confirmed that not all the cars in Gran Turismo 5 will have damage models -- only select sets of cars will feature damage support. No official word yet on what those car sets are, but hopefully we'll have more on that soon.

Speaking of cars, Kazunori wasn't willing to let the total number of cars slip just yet, but there were a few other points of interest to hold us over. First, Porsche will very likely not appear in Gran Turismo 5. Kazunori was disappointed by this fact, but according to our interview, Porsche already signed an exclusive deal for a different game and it's highly unlikely the brand will appear in Polyphony Digital's upcoming hit. Perhaps Porsche will show up in a future GT title.

As for the rumors regarding possible track creation, Kazunori noted that "[Polyphony Digital] hasn't really thought about it." So it sounds like track creation for Gran Turismo 5 was just a rumor after all.

Lastly, Kazunori commented that downloadable content for Gran Turismo 5 is a definite possibility, but once again there were few details to discuss.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/101/1015547p1.html

It's not one of the 170, maybe?

It's very pretty game though; Polyphony certainly know their lighting techniques.

Also, for some reaon, the handling model in cockpit view in the first video looked a bit.... um.... off?

I think it's the astonishingly small windows.

Ridiculous, honestly.

I can not disagree. However, I bet the studio must have a damned good reason. Difficult car companies, the timesink it will be to implement realistic damage to all the cars. I mean, this is Polyphony after all, not a company that delivers something just for the reason to get it released.

ps. I made realistic a big bigger because of course there are racing games out there with very good looking damage. But I bet Polyphony sees a world of difference between 'good looking damage' and 'realistic' damage.

I think it's the astonishingly small windows.

Could be I suppose. Apart from when the cars were on the rumble strips, they looked a bit detached from the road; like driving on ice.

But you can't really draw any conclusions from a poor quality video, it was just my first impressions.

I can not disagree. However, I bet the studio must have a damned good reason. Difficult car companies, the timesink it will be to implement realistic damage to all the cars. I mean, this is Polyphony after all, not a company that delivers something just for the reason to get it released.

ps. I made realistic a big bigger because of course there are racing games out there with very good looking damage. But I bet Polyphony sees a world of difference between 'good looking damage' and 'realistic' damage.

Although aiming to be realistic is excellent goal, GT was never that realistic. For example, in the past bumping into other cars had no downsides, and could even become a tactic for taking corners, in reality you can't do that in a race. Also in past GTs (note: I've only played GT1-3) it was impossible to flip a car, to the point where a car would being to flip and then be magically righted to horizontal in mid flip. This takes me out of the so called "realism" much more than for example, a right fender not bending correctly would.

Also if not all cars get damage, does that mean that some races will have cars that sustain damage and others that can't?

Perhaps if they can only model damage on 170 cars, they should only include 170 cars. I wouldn't complain, that's a lot of cars, and I'd much prefer the game to be uniform than to have this odd situation where some cars act realistically and others don't.

Perhaps if they can only model damage on 170 cars, they should only include 170 cars. I wouldn't complain, that's a lot of cars, and I'd much prefer the game to be uniform than to have this odd situation where some cars act realistically and others don't.

or they could just limit the amount of cars in the selection (including AI) for a given race/series if you switch damage on whilst giving you the full compliment when it's set to off.

much like NFS:HP taking away your Ferraris when you turned police on.

Ridiculous, honestly.

EDIT: Reading earlier posts, does this mean only internal damage? Or literally that some cars cannot be damaged.

I imagine it will be linked to the licences. In the video higher up the thread, it's a WRC car that gets damaged, but the road car doesn't. This would make sense as some races will have cars that can be daaged and others that can't, so it's not like you can just bulldoze into all the cars that will break with an unbreakable car.

Just a thought, like.

Was gonna say, the AI, bumping, cornering etc seems just like the previous games. It looks amazing graphically but from a gameplay pov it's ever diminishing returns.

I'd be happy with just ten cars if they all had as realistic damage and physics as possible, and that they spent the rest of the time in develpment on the AI.

It looks dreadful from a gameplay perspective in that video. Plus the collision when the car hits the wall looks wrong. The A.I is oblivious to the fact that there is a car side on up the road ahead, despite it having plenty of opportunity to take avoiding action. And they reckon it is ready to be released - jesus.

Well that was mindbogglingly dull. The AI looked pathetic as ever (Trying to accelerate through a crashed car rather than avoid it) and the 'bouncy' collisions are still in there. Very disappointing. The only thing GT5 has going for it are the visuals (although FM3 isn't too shabby looking) and number of cars on track... and that's just about it.

I think I'll pass on this.

Edit: Oh... and 'Rolling Starts' suck balls... unless it's Daytona or something!

I can't believe the AI's still that poor - isn't it a strength of the almighty CELL processor to run decent AI on the SPUs? Seems silly to have physics on stuff like the tyre walls when they're hit but still have moronic, unresponsive AI.

Has the AI improved at all in any GT from 2-Prologue though? It always seemed to me that Polyphony Digital would be happy to have GT as just a time trials game, if only for the fact that it loses them the ability to show off their shiny car models.

When that cam jumps to the underpass section of Route 246 or whatever it used to be called the car in front looks appalling.

It IS running at 60fps right? Its not just it looks bad as its a video clip (i've not checked but i'm assuming the video is running at 30fps or something).

Anyway, it looks very boring. I know i own a 360 and not a PS3 so i'd guess i'm trolling.

But it still looks a bit dull.

When that cam jumps to the underpass section of Route 246 or whatever it used to be called the car in front looks appalling.

It IS running at 60fps right? Its not just it looks bad as its a video clip (i've not checked but i'm assuming the video is running at 30fps or something).

Anyway, it looks very boring. I know i own a 360 and not a PS3 so i'd guess i'm trolling.

But it still looks a bit dull.

Yawn...... yet another non-PS3 owner drawing a pointless negative conclusion about a game that isn't even out yet and on a console they have no intention of ever owning. Thanks for your input Dimahoo :D

More (possibly old, apologies if it is) info about damage/car deformation.

The damage model itself is an obviously welcome addition, but somewhat limited. There is no actual deformation of the cars taking place – body panels remain totally pristine. Instead the Sabura is outfitted with a number of removable parts: front and rear bumpers, doors, the bonnet – these are the elements of the vehicle that work loose then fly away leaving just the barebones of the car. In this sense it is somewhat "last gen", very similar to Burnout 3 if you're looking for a direct comparison.
It also means that smaller collisions, such as side-swiping scenery or other cars, leave your motor completely unscathed with no scratches to the paintwork or any kind of subtle indication that your vehicle has seen "action". It wasn't until I saw a flapping driver's side door in-game that I realised that the technology behind the demo build had progressed at all from Prologue. Right now there's no debris, no impact damage, and no breaking glass. Combined, this says to me that the implementation is on its early stages.
Another telltale sign is that it appears that your car is the only one to sustain damage. On the plus side, the consequences of a shunt aren't only graphical – the car's usual top speed of around 200kph on this circuit dropped down to a pathetic 115kph after a series of impacts, but even here, there was no indication that location-centred damage causes any specific effects.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalf...pact-blog-entry

Yawn...... yet another non-PS3 owner drawing a pointless negative conclusion about a game that isn't even out yet and on a console they have no intention of ever owning. Thanks for your input Dimahoo :D

I'm not Dimahoo, but...what?! He's not drawing conclusions! He's just giving his opinion on those videos.

So thanks for your input, Stolly. What's your opinion on these videos?