Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

I'm not Dimahoo, but...what?! He's not drawing conclusions! He's just giving his opinion on those videos.

So thanks for your input, Stolly. What's your opinion on these videos?

I'm at work so I can't view the videos but if its the one recently filmed of a pretty naff journo driving and crashing whilst at that gaming exhibition thingy in germany then not surprisingly comments on the video being naff (as opposed to the game) are bang on. If Poliphony had produced the gameplay footage I suspect the video might look different :)

Its probably me so apologies all round but it felt like a false criticism from Dimahoo thats all. Sorry to Dimahoo, I'm sure it wasn't.

(The games I like best are probably japanese rpg's or bonkers japanese action adventures and, not owning a 360, when I delve into threads about such games on the 360 I go in really interested and toy with the idea of whether I should get the machine for the game rather than toy with the idea of dissing the game because I don't have the machine).

I'm at work so I can't view the videos but if its the one recently filmed of a pretty naff journo driving and crashing whilst at that gaming exhibition thingy in germany then not surprisingly comments on the video being naff (as opposed to the game) are bang on. If Poliphony had produced the gameplay footage I suspect the video might look different :)

To be fair, mucking about like that (i.e. not driving perfectly) does show the limitations of the engine, and its AI. Now we all know that AI in racing games is often hit-and-miss, but this takes the crown when it comes to stupidity. Even Forza 1's AI was clever enough to see you, and thus avoiding you if needed.

I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt in terms of AI seeing as it's not likely to be released this year, but watching some of the 720p videos of GT5 it really is one mindbogglingly attractive game - the lighting is gorgeous.

I have no idea how to feel about GT5. I don't love it (I hate the AI), I don't hate it (I love the sensation).

:P

;)

Ugh, such a difficult game to love/hate.

Total agreement. For me it's always been a game most enjoyed on my own against the clock. While Forza3 looks good, the cars still look plastic compared to GT. Strange though that only some cars can have damage, looking forward to a better explanation of why (licensing or time).

However, the fact that we will finally have private lobbies and voice chat means my euros are pretty much guaranteed. Plus I can't wait to race Grand Valley in HD.

While Forza3 looks good, the cars still look plastic compared to GT.

'Good' is quite a bit of an understatement here, dear Frankie. I personally think GT is nothing more than a showroom test driving game. I'm going for content and racing.

So I played this at the Gamescom in Cologne.

Yeah, it's got damage. Well, not really. It's got some body panels that come loose and wobble for a bit. And even so, the physics are still hardly what you call realistic: crashing into a wall still hardly makes your wheels lose contact with the ground, and all you get is a slightly loose bumper or door.

Aside from that, it's basically GT 5 Prologue with more content coming up, I reckon. Same engine, same feeling. Still looking amazing, which is after all GT's biggest feature, as it hardly has any others. It'll interesting to see what other cars, tracks and modes we can expect though.

The fact that Gran Turismo is still a very big name (possibly the biggest in terms of racing games, together with Need for Speed) will obviously make this game sell nicely, but I'm not planning on doing so. Yet.

Yeah, it's got damage. Well, not really. It's got some body panels that come loose and wobble for a bit. And even so, the physics are still hardly what you call realistic: crashing into a wall still hardly makes your wheels lose contact with the ground, and all you get is a slightly loose bumper or door.

Aside from that, it's basically GT 5 Prologue with more content coming up, I reckon. Same engine, same feeling. Still looking amazing, which is after all GT's biggest feature, as it hardly has any others. It'll interesting to see what other cars, tracks and modes we can expect though.

That's fucking pathetic - what the fuck have they been donig all this time ? Spending a month at a time building car models ?

Gran Turismo 5 will feature a massive 1000 vehicles, according to information reportedly posted on the official Polyphony Digital website, and should be released this year according to a gamescom brochure.

GTPlanet apparently got hold of the Polyphony website information while it was live (thanks 1UP), and reports that the game also boasts more than 20 tracks in more than 60 layouts.

Meanwhile, Sony was reportedly handing out brochures at gamescom listing the game for release in Q4 2009.

The translated Japanese information also lists game modes accessible through the menus, mentions custom soundtrack support, and reveals that 170 of the 1000 vehicles will have full interior modelling.

Apparently GT5 will also include various hybrid and electric vehicles, including the latest Tesla. Vrrooom. Or, rather, not.

Digital Foundry caught up with Gran Turismo 5 at gamescom last week and took a look at its damage modelling, concluding that it's still a bit of a work in progress.

Hopefully we'll hear more about the ambitious racer at the Tokyo Game Show in September, where Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai is giving the event's keynote speech.

Thats an awfully low amount of tracks.

GT4 featured 51 so thats either 31 less or 9 more. (Including Ribbons).

But IIRC GT4 had more then 20 "pure" tracks (not including their ribbons i mean).

The car list blows stuff away though. Fucking hell ;)

*edit*

WOAH...that doesn't make sense. Theres 16 or so tracks in NASCAR alone - hows that work?

Or is Nascar a download?

....plus theres the rally tracks - unless that was just to show certain rally cars in their proper environments - but i don't believe that.

Hmm....i don't think theres 20 tracks and 60 layouts. (I noted the "more then" bit but figured more then 20 is still under 30 if you see my point).

has to be said: if you're only modelling the interior if 170 of your 1000 cars, why bother doing any?

and what do they mean by that, anyway?

surely all the cars have "in-car" views, right? Or will they share interiors?

or is it a mis-translation?

So the remaining cars will just bounce off like bumper cars like previous games?

edit- yeah it was for interiors

Top Tip: When racing against friends who are using the 170 damageable cars, pick a magic indestructible vehicle and use them as mobile cornering assists.

So the remaining cars will just bounce off like bumper cars like previous games?

edit- yeah it was for interiors

Yeah...my bad.

And yeah, the movies suggest that will happen. Do the cars even roll?

Top Tip: When racing against friends who are using the 170 damageable cars, pick a magic indestructible vehicle and use them as mobile cornering assists.

Yeah thats the weird thing.

Obv. to make sense you'd have to be either limited to those cars, or it doesn't figure in MP.

Or maybe it does but is irrelevant as all the cars suffer internal (unseen) damage.

Just watching some of the videos. That AI is hilarious. Looks very pretty though, but so far I still have the same issues as I have had previously with all other Gran Turismo titles. A demo needed I think.

Sorry to interrupt the Gran Turismo hatefest we're having in this thread, but I'm really looking forward to this! ;)

Think this has already been posted, buth here's the full list of shoddily translated features from GTPlanet;

■ Cars

1,000 vehicles

170 Premium new models (full interior modeling, the interior corresponds to vehicle damage)

830 kinds of standard model (some are from Gran Turismo 4 that have been carried over to GT5) [Read: Cars we have seen in GT4 before ]

■ Courses

more than 20 courses, more than 60 layouts

■ Physical Simulation

Physics system simulation is brand new

Represented is full fall in vehicles [possibly rollover]

Damage representation (reproduced in full by real-time collision deformation)

faithfully reproducing the behavior of electric cars, i.e. Prius, Insight, hybrid cars and the latest Tesla model

■ Arcade Mode

Single Race

2 player battle

■ GT Mode

World Map

My Garage

Car Dealer

Tuning Shop (parts, tires)

Car Washes/Oil Change

Race Championship (Series system, point system)

License Test

■ Online

Open Lobby

Text / Voice Chat

Private rooms

Online Photo Album

Online Replay Album

YouTube replay output

■ Photo Mode

Photo Drive (Circuit)

Photo stage (Stage Photo mode only)

■ Gran Turismo TV

Video output to a PSP or PSP Go®

Progressive Download

Improved

user interface

Continuous Play for videos

■ Museums

The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue version + more information at TGS

■ Sound

Custom soundtracks (Use songs from your PS3 hard-drive)

Dolby Digital 5.1 and 7.1

■ User Interface

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the same design concept. The icons change color [WAT]

Able to track the movement of Cockpit Camera interface (confirmed in full 3-D. The camera can be fully manipulated and you can opt to have your head tracked by the PSEye)

That last bit in the UI sounds fantastic.

Although the real time deformation is as hilarious as F3's one button "Mickey Mouse" mode (come on T10 - lets keep one button games to indie huh?)

But yeah...like you'd crash on lap 1 and then on lap 3 the car suddenly falls to bits.