Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

Although the real time deformation is as hilarious as F3's one button "Mickey Mouse" mode (come on T10 - lets keep one button games to indie huh?)

I don't know why they are pushing the car damage to be honest. Unless this is really old tech they're showing (in which case why haven't we seen it sooner?) four months or less isn't a great deal of time to implement something that you'd think would need consideration from the very beginning. Maybe they will surprise us yet, who knows.

The game's in a funny position. On one hand they've waited to long to bring it out if they were just going to go a HD update of the classic GT format, on the other hand it's missing the kind of features that wow people. If you're looking at it like numbers on a spreadsheet, Forza totally kills it in every department. I'm sure it'll sell a shedload of systems whenever it comes out anyway though.

I don't know why they are pushing the car damage to be honest. Unless this is really old tech they're showing (in which case why haven't we seen it sooner?) four months or less that's not a great deal of time to implement something that you'd think would need consideration from the very beginning. Maybe they will suprise us yet, who knows.

The game's in a funny position. On one hand they've waited to long to bring it out if they were just going to go a HD update of the classic GT format, on the other hand it's missing the kind of features that wow people. I'm sure it'll sell a shedload of systems whenever it comes out anyway though.

It will still sell loads. It has the gorgeous eye catching style to it that immediately makes you want to purchase it and play with it yourself regardless of the features. Forza and anything else is still missing the Polyphony sheen.

However it does look so gorgeous and so incredibly dated to me at the same time when I watch videos of it. The movement of the cars in replays still seem like the RC cars style movement that I grew up with on the old games. I played the psone and PS2 versions to death as well and found GT5P far too familiar to really look foward to 5 proper.

The game's in a funny position. They've spent so long telling people it will be good, with everyone happy to believe them, it's going to be a bit odd when it turns out it is completely unexciting and a bit rubbish.

Corrected.

Corrected.

I'm not really sure what you're getting at there as the majority of posts over the last few pages in this thread have been negative. This is in stark contrast to the Forza 3 thread where we have pages upon pages of infectious enthusiasm over every snippet of info released. I know GT5 has had a long hype cycle compared to Forza's short but intense buildup (which they have handled very well, all but confirming the game very early on then going all out over 6 months from E3 to release), but I'm still surprised how much of a panning it gets on here.

I'm still surprised how much of a panning it gets on here.

heheh on rllmuk? really? a flagship PS3 title, a potential system seller getting a panning on rllmuk? I'm not surprised at all.

The trailer from E3 looked stunning, the gameplay footage underwhelming but it'll probably be a lot better and quite enjoyable when it actually comes out. But that's no fun to argue about on a Monday morning in the internet.

heheh on rllmuk? really? a flagship PS3 title, a potential system seller getting a panning on rllmuk? I'm not surprised at all.

It's not a "potential" system seller. It's a system seller - I'm sure most of us know people who just consider the PS3 to be a Gran Turismo box.

I don't think you can put it down to fanboyism/SonyLOL etc. As one of the people who have posted some negative comments on this thread, and as a PS3 owner (no Xbox 360) I'm genuinely disappointed by what I've seen so far, as I had hoped that GT5 would have shed a lot of the baggage that had been around since GT1. When I read that the one of those items of baggage is only fixed half arsed (damage modelling) and another is still loud and proud (shitty AI), I'm unsurprisingly feeling a little down on a title that has been gestating so long I figured I could only be blown away by it.

I want it to be awesome, I really do. The Original PS GT's were my favorite games of that system.

I want it to be awesome, I really do. The Original PS GT's were my favorite games of that system.

Me too, GT1 and GT3 in particular were milestones for me on those systems. Being accused of fanboyism when theres clear dissapointing info for some of us is quite the situation of the kettle calling the pot black.

I don't still quite have my head around the concept of premium cars and the other 800, it just seems so strange to have a gameplay divide in 1/5 of all the cars, I have no idea how its going to pan out since I play all my racers these days from the dashboard view.

I don't think you can put it down to fanboyism/SonyLOL etc. As one of the people who have posted some negative comments on this thread, and as a PS3 owner (no Xbox 360) I'm genuinely disappointed by what I've seen so far, as I had hoped that GT5 would have shed a lot of the baggage that had been around since GT1. When I read that the one of those items of baggage is only fixed half arsed (damage modelling) and another is still loud and proud (shitty AI), I'm unsurprisingly feeling a little down on a title that has been gestating so long I figured I could only be blown away by it.

Oh don't get me wrong -that's perfectly reasonable and probably true. It was the more puerile and uninteresting negativity I wasn't surprised about.

I don't still quite have my head around the concept of premium cars and the other 800, it just seems so strange to have a gameplay divide in 1/5 of all the cars, I have no idea how its going to pan out since I play all my racers these days from the dashboard view.

They are making a real hash of these issues. Nobody knows what's going on with damage, is it staying like it is or are we getting proper deformation? We're used to having cockpit views in all cars even after playing Prologue regardless of what the competition is doing. They've got the NASCAR licence, so how have they only ended up with twenty-odd tracks? Stuff regularly goes up on their website and gets pulled days later. What's even more baffling is that they've found the time to work cockpit views into the PSP game! They didn't announce it, it's just there at Gamescom with no fanfare.

Essell might have it right, even with four years plus development time they managed to spread themselves too thinly. Personally I think PR is the root of most of these problems rather than the game itself!

I think it's the classic case of people believing their own hype. Yamauchi probably sees the success of the GT series as vindication of his cul-de-sac approach to the game. I honestly believe he is still just trying to perfect the game he originally imagined way back in the days of GT1. That is perfectly realised cars (as many as possible) and perfectly realised handling (open to discussion).

All the other things like damage and online seem to be almost begrudgingly included.

I like the sound of the head tracking though.

Sounds like GT5's been kicked in the balls by the same team having to develop the PSP game in conjunction with it (which is pretty rare). Shame

Yeah but they've saved alot of time by not bothering to update the AI since Gran Turismo 3. I'm amazed from watching the vids that the cars are still on that pre-determined path nonsense.

When Yamauchi says he doesn't play other games it really is beginning to show.

yeah, about that.

it tracks your head when you turn it... so you'll no longer be looking at the screen.

IDGI :(

You won't be turning your head completely to the side, subtle movements should let you peek here and there. In all honesty, it sounds like the coolest feature, could be really immersive if it works like the PC Arma 2 setup

I share your sentiment completely, and hoped GT5 would sell me a PS3. At least, that's what I told myself soon after the PS3 was released. But ever since Prologue was released I've become more sceptical, which is a pity since it was GT3 that sparked my enthusiasm for the more simulation side of racing games.

The thing is, GT5 can never be as good as Forza 3 because it's an old franchise that's essentially carrying forward aged DNA, whereas Forza 3 is a relatively young marque and simply does not have the Pedigree of the Gran Turismo series and will, as a consequence, never be as good as Polyphony's flagship title.

And now we have a clear winner, let that be an end to it.

Me too, and very well put. I adored 1 and 2, but didn't play 3 or 4. However, having not thought of the GT series for a while, when I look at PS3 footage of GT5 now I just think "Wow, that looks dated!" It's very pretty, but completely static and sterile. I get what's good about the GT series, I really do, but having experienced Burnout Paradise, Grid, Dirt, Forza etc, these games are pushing much harder in different directions than GT5 is attempting to. Not that I'd expect to see much in common between Burnout Paradise and GT5, but Paradise seemed like a really forward-thinking title with plenty of interesting new ideas, and GT5 seems like GT1 or 2 in HD. This might be enough for some, but it seems way too middle of the road for me.

The thing is, GT5 can never be as good as Forza 3 because it's an old franchise that's essentially carrying forward aged DNA, whereas Forza 3 is a relatively young marque and simply does not have the Pedigree of the Gran Turismo series and will, as a consequence, never be as good as Polyphony's flagship title.

And now we have a clear winner, let that be an end to it.

And that's all there is to it.

All these games excel in one area or another. Gran Turismo has it's ridiculous visuals and polish levels while covering a wide scope of racing disciplines. Grid had cool AI and a nice damage system while pioneering the rewind function. Burnout has over the top crashes with a great sense of speed and the divisive open world structure. Forza has the most indepth tuning and upgrade system and has the most direct feel (I can't really describe it well) to the handling, but I think it's real innovation was the online integration.

GT has always been the one that clicked the most with me, so GT5 is the game I'm looking forward to the most of all the upcoming racers. Of course I have Forza 3 pre-ordered as well! :(

All this stuff about the negativity on rllmuk. Tsk!

We're...well me ...

I'm only knocking it because I want, I WANT it to be really good.

Theres a difference between knocking something as faboyisim and knocking something because you want to see change and improvements or wishful thinking.

I've got funds ready for a PS3 but i've got to justify it - but make no mistake one game will sell it to me if its that good in a genre i enjoy.

GT 1 and 2 always did that and i thought the improvements in GT 3 and 4 was enough again but Fugitive as hit the nail on the head really.

It still has that DNA that we've already - for the most part - played to death and believe me, i'm a real graphics hoar too (and i STILL think the PS3 outpowers a 360)!

But lets not forget that with at least 6 racing games taking my time over the the Autumn, something really has to be special to pull me away.

:(

It's fine and (just about) healthy to knock it, it's just a bit shit when somebody makes a reasonable point and it's countered with a 'Corrected' post. I don't even like Gran Tourismo or Forza, Outrun's more my thing, but I still like reading threads about them because I love games.

Constant negativity and 'corrected' posts do make it a bit of a miserable read though.

It's fine and (just about) healthy to knock it, it's just a bit shit when somebody makes a reasonable point and it's countered with a 'Corrected' post. I don't even like Gran Tourismo or Forza, Outrun's more my thing, but I still like reading threads about them because I love games.

Constant negativity and 'corrected' posts do make it a bit of a miserable read though.

You and me both. Why be negative about a game that's not even out yet!? By all means pan it once you've played it. The very same bandwagon jumped on killzone 2 before release and yet had oozed love and devotion to Halo 3 before that came out. Funny that eh?