Gran Turismo 5 Official Thread

Harry

I fucking hate GT5! :angry:

How am I going to be able afford all this? New PS3, copy of the game itself, and a new wheel.

And where am I going to mount the wheel? The Wheel stand Pro is already host to the MS wheel, and I can't justify buying a fanatec to be able to play this and Forza.

Why can't Microsoft just do a deal with Logitech, then I'd have a wheel that's future proof: compatible with Xbox, PS3 and PC?

I fucking hate Microsoft.

Hi, I emailed the chap from wheel stand pro, and he does do an "upgrade pack" which you can mount the logitech onto, and just switch over the wheels. I cant find any intel on the web around whether the pedals will work from microsoft to Logitech which would make life easier.

I am scouring the net trying to find a cheap ish Logitech Pro wheel, cheapest i can find is Amazon UK. Anyone know any better?

Cheers

Al

Either the damage is early shots or the deformation software their running is at a fairly basic stage and come GT6 it'll blow heads off.

Sometimes the damage looks good, sometimes it looks like a large broken mouth.

One thing though - the damage runs deeper then nearly any other game - the body shells look jointed rather then just a series of panels that fall off. I suspect they'll be working on the defomation program for GT6.

Mmmm, might be a nice looking game, but I've read it still has screen tearing in it. For me that kills its visuals stone dead. I can put up with it in some games, but with a racing game it seems far more intrusive. Hopefully they optomise it enough to get rid.

I wouldn't get so hung up about poor damage, it's not what the game is about. Take damage out of the equation and there's still a ton of features in this to get excited about, not least of them being it will be the best looking game ever.

The damage thing was never a big deal to me, but it's been the main topic of interest it would seem going on most discusions. It makes a nice addition, but it was never going to make or break the game for me. If anything the most depressing thing about GT5 has been that every bit of footage from it over the last two years seems to be someone aiming for a wall to see what the damage looks like!

I'm more interested in getting a hands on with the karting and track editor, along with the normal GT features.

Mmmm, might be a nice looking game, but I've read it still has screen tearing in it. For me that kills its visuals stone dead. I can put up with it in some games, but with a racing game it seems far more intrusive. Hopefully they optomise it enough to get rid.

Yeah i kinda thought that but to be honest ALL the PC gamers will play with V-sync off anyway.

Clearly the PS3 is not capable of 60fps at this level of graphical detail (which to be fair, is very high).

Its a marketing ploy - 60fps with VSync off is not true 60fps.

I'll be honest here, my PC (with a GTX480) can't always do 60fps with 16 cars and VSync on in Rfactor with some mods, esp. the F1 ones - although its at higher res and with AA/AS enabled as well.

I'm not overly fussed by the car damage really - what i want is debris to be left on the track.

And they need to sort out the wind effects as well - they look silly sometimes.

The damage thing was never a big deal to me, but it's been the main topic of interest it would seem going on most discusions. It makes a nice addition, but it was never going to make or break the game for me. If anything the most depressing thing about GT5 has been that every bit of footage from it over the last two years seems to be someone aiming for a wall to see what the damage looks like!

I'm more interested in getting a hands on with the karting and track editor, along with the normal GT features.

This is my take on it as well. I really don't get the obsession with damage and a poor damage model isn't going to ruin my enjoyment of the rest of the game...

This is my take on it as well. I really don't get the obsession with damage and a poor damage model isn't going to ruin my enjoyment of the rest of the game...

I know since GT2 many have been hankering for it, but it's never been a big issue to me. With this version I can partly understand the hype as it's been so long in development and promised that anything less than debris flying out the TV at you is going to be seen as a let down. That said what's been shown recently doesn't look great. Like you I'm thankful it's not an issue to me.

Looking at the speedway pic above i've discovered something.

The only reason this game doesn't work and still doesn't impress is the lack of a starting grid. Thats it. I realise the above pic doesn't have one, but i maent for the non-Nascar tracks/events.

Shame its a bit of a fail in the ultimate test. Forza 3 does wrong way drive crashes much better i must say.

Hi, I emailed the chap from wheel stand pro, and he does do an "upgrade pack" which you can mount the logitech onto, and just switch over the wheels. I cant find any intel on the web around whether the pedals will work from microsoft to Logitech which would make life easier.

Interesting. Thanks for posting your findings.

:hat:

What I find funny - due to the lack of a better word - is that no one here played the final version. Yet, people have made up their minds that the damage model is pathetic, the Nascar starting grid is unimpressive, the fact that only the premium cars have detailed interiors is stupid and lazy, the trees are 2d.

You know, if you drive near a cliff in GT5 you can not drive off it. My lord, what is that rubbish! It could be done in the WRC games on the PS2, so why not in GT5 on the PS3. Polyphony is lazy, that must be it. To make matters worse, there are invisible walls around the rally tracks. It is impossible to go cross country. OMG!! I could go cross country in Monster Truck Madness on the PC!

You think above example sound stupid? Good, it is supposed to. Used example are all true though.

I think there's a gulf between what Polyphony are doing and what many want. They want a picture perfect racer with everything in showroom condition, the internet vocal majority seem to want a car destroying simulator.

The only thing from the GT series I would prefer to see changed is the rolling starts.

What I find funny - due to the lack of a better word - is that no one here played the final version. Yet, people have made up their minds that the damage model is pathetic, the Nascar starting grid is unimpressive, the fact that only the premium cars have detailed interiors is stupid and lazy, the trees are 2d.

You know, if you drive near a cliff in GT5 you can not drive off it. My lord, what is that rubbish! It could be done in the WRC games on the PS2, so why not in GT5 on the PS3. Polyphony is lazy, that must be it. To make matters worse, there are invisible walls around the rally tracks. It is impossible to go cross country. OMG!! I could go cross country in Monster Truck Madness on the PC!

You think above example sound stupid? Good, it is supposed to. Used example are all true though.

o/

There does seem to be a lot of doom-sayers and nit-picking going on.

I personally, couldn't give a shit about most of the stuff people are bitching about. If they released spruced-up versions of GT1-GT4, I'd buy them and be a very happy bunny. To be, the GT series has always had a certain something that the French would call "I don't know what". Yes, it might not have perfect physics. Yes, the AI is beyond stupid. Yes, it doesn't have any damage. But do these facts get in the way of the series being hugely playable and acounting for a good 50% of my gaming time over the last (Wikis) 13 years? No they don't.

Still going to find some way of avoiding the licence tests, mind...

Trouble is, after so long in development, people have built up an image in their minds of what GT5 is going to be: it's the Real Driving Simulator on the most powerful console money can buy and it's being developed by the people who revolutionised driving games.

As we're all brought back to Earth with each revelation that shows GT5 can never live up to an excitable and overactive imagination that's had years to grow, fester and mutate, disappointment is inevitable.

Truth is that GT5 is going to be GT4 with prettier graphics, slightly improved physics, shite AI, and no more than a nod in the general direction of other cosmetic improvements such as weather, day and night cycles and mediocre damage. After the impact of the original Gran Turismo that set the gaming world alight, GT5 - like all the other subsequent GTs - is merely progression rather than revolution.

Which is not me looking down on GT5, it's merely a logical and realistic view of what I think we can expect from it on release. Hopefully the driving experience will surpass that of Forza 3, because that alone will make the game worth buying considering just how incredible Forza's handling model is. If GT5 achieves that, then all the little extras will be enldless layers of icing on one of the best cakes ever.

Alternatively, game is hyped to the eyeballs, takes five years to come out and is slightly underwhelming on viewing of videos that have surfaced.

I think as usual, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Some of it looks stunning and then sometimes I see gameplay videos and it's the Emperor's New Clothes a bit.

And I'm sorry but the much vaunted 'damage' simulation is pretty meh so far. It's a hard thing to do really well but I had hoped to see something really special but so far, not so much.

Trouble is, after so long in development, people have built up an image in their minds of what GT5 is going to be: it's the Real Driving Simulator on the most powerful console money can buy and it's being developed by the people who revolutionised driving games.

As we're all brought back to Earth with each revelation that shows GT5 can never live up to an excitable and overactive imagination that's had years to grow, fester and mutate, disappointment is inevitable.

Truth is that GT5 is going to be GT4 with prettier graphics, slightly improved physics, shite AI, and no more than a nod in the general direction of other cosmetic improvements such as weather, day and night cycles and mediocre damage. After the impact of the original Gran Turismo that set the gaming world alight, GT5 - like all the other subsequent GTs - is merely progression rather than revolution.

Which is not me looking down on GT5, it's merely a logical and realistic view of what I think we can expect from it on release. Hopefully the driving experience will surpass that of Forza 3, because that alone will make the game worth buying considering just how incredible Forza's handling model is. If GT5 achieves that, then all the little extras will be enldless layers of icing on one of the best cakes ever.

haha you just wrote a better version of what I was trying to say!

Are the rolling starts mandatory? (or is it an option?)

surely it's an option... surely? surely one of the greatest bits of a racing game is the first get away? surely they wouldn't do away with this? (overpowered cars just sitting stationary whilst you floor the throttle) - surely they wouldn't turn this off and make rolling starts the only option? surely multiplayer will be utter garbage if every car is rolling from the start? (and therefore taking any skill out of throttle control?)

surely?

:huh:

The first couple didn't have them. I'm fairly sure 4 was the first...

You may be right it's been long time since I've played them, but something in my mind has an image of rolling starts. That may just be because GT4 eat up a huge amount of my time.

EDIT: Just looked at an old GT1 video and it wasn't rolling starts, but it may as well have been. I guess that's one feature I'd like to see changed to make the start a bit more of a race.

Real time damage footage.

Looks good.

:)

Oh dear, if this is the final version - do not like :(

I don't really care about damage really, but this 'molten plastic' doesn't really look good from that video. I bet you can't actually loose parts either, like bumpers and spoilers, but we'll see.

The engine noise is horrible though: compared to GT4, GT5 Prologue actually had pretty decent engine sounds. But by now, those have been overtaken bij PGR4, Forza 3 and Blur. Shame, this doesn't impress me at all in terms of audio. Had the same when I played this game at the Gamescom a while ago: a Ferrari 458 Italia isn't supposed to sound like that, but like this:

That's about the only things I can say now, but I'm eager to play the final version. If I'm lucky, I might already get a shot at the end of September.

Gran Turismo has always been rolling starts, it's not an option.

Bollocks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to3olIh929E

Well to be fair, I'm wondering what it is that they spent all those years working on. Like Fugitive said; "GT5 - like all the other subsequent GTs - is merely progression rather than revolution". And he's right, no matter how hard you try to defend the GT franchise.

I've played GT2, 3 and 4. GT2 I found awesome, GT3 was more of the same but with much better graphics (kind of like GT5 now compared to GT4), but GT4 was an almost carbon-copy of GT3 and that's where I realised the GT series wasn't moving on. Looking at GT5 now, and having gathered all the info I can get on it (even from game journalist friends of mine - I want to be 100% sure before I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a PS3, a G25 and a copy of GT5), it doesn't look like GT5 will be changing its core mechanic for this version either. The same game in a new coat it seems, and I've had enough of that in my time with the series.

And I'm wondering the same with the Forza series. FM1 was awesome but FM2 was watered down a bit (less tracks, less upgrade types, etc) and now FM3 is out and it's still not the game everyone was hoping to see. In hindsight, I've got no problem admitting that. And if they're going to pull a GT on FM with Forza Kinect or FM4 or whatever, I will be one of the first to criticise it on here.

Both are great games, although I prefer FM3 now because it's more raw than GT. Rugged tracks, compared to the slick surfaces of GT5. Then again, if GT5 turns out to trump FM3, I'll be emptying my wallet a.s.a.p.

But will that happen when hens grow teeth?

The AI is shocking. Fast-forward that clip to 1m 15sec. In FM3, that Italia would have overtaken you on the inside. Why it decides to go around the player is beyond me, probably because it's programmed to try to stick to the racing line at all times with little alternative variables. Still the same age-old AI roots by the looks of it.