IGNORED

The "post-hardcore" gamer thread

eurisko2k

The problem is, I want to play "hardcore" games and long adventure 'em ups, but due to real-life I have to stop playing for weeks, even months and then I come back and I've no idea how to play. I can't remember what I was doing, what the controls are, what the story is, etc. The only alternative is to start again but that's a vicious circle.

Wasn't it Metal Gear Solid that showed a 'previously on Metal Gear' when you reloaded your save? That was ace.

Casual games are sadly the only game that permit you to take a long break without losing the plot.

This is a very good point. Metal gear Solid was brillant in this repsect. Also Oblivion allows you to look at current quests and active quests so you have a jist of what you where doing after a break from it. I am dreading games like Mass effect. I have'nt completed a Zelda game since MM because I just don't know what I'm supposed to be doing next after taking a break from it and cannot get back into it.

Big adventure games should always provide this option as standard.

I certainly fit into the post-hardcore category.

However I insist on buying far too many games which I know I'll never have the time to play properly. I am completely in love with the VC, I like the fact that I can still go back to titles Like Super Mario World and Diddy Kong and know where most of the secrets still are, that definitely gives me a buzz. ^_^

Not sure if this really ties in, but something I've noticed I'm doing less and less is finishing games for the sake of finishing. There used to be time, before I turned 20 I guess, that finishing seemed to be the end all and be all. I was determined to see those credits. Now, I have my fun, and move on.

Stick a score counter in there though, and I'm far more likely to hang around. I place the blame for this firmly at the feet of Frequency. I find it so much more satisfying beating myself (ooh er) than beating the game. And if I've got other players of a similar skill trying to do the same then that's all the better.

Wouldn't have it any other way now to be honest. Looking back on my teenage gaming habits it seems so workmanlike.

I've been playing since what? 1985? I've got nearly every games system since then. Although I only had a CDi for a very short while. :P What I found is that I'm not a big fan of these modern key-chain style games that have become all the rage. But then, I'm not a big fan of these overly complex behemoths either. GTA SA I'm looking at you! I'm still a big fan of the 30 hour game. MGS, God of War, Ridge, NFS. Maybe I'm permanent middle-core. ^_^ I've always been playing something - just not that hard.

Count me in also.

One thing I'm finding as I get less time to play is that I'm craving games to be more linear. Saves me worrying about all those other alternative routes that I'll never have time to explore..

o/\o

I've tried all this non linear stuff and when I get stuck I try another mission or area. Then I get stuck in there and start something else and so on. It's like having a load of unfinished games in one game!

I'm not really into long games any more either. I just finished Medal of Honour Vanguard on Wii in about 8 hours max and it was just right. Anything more than 10 - 12 hours starts getting a bit of a slog for me. I'll have to make an exception for Mass Effect, but take my situation with Twilight Princess as an example. I loved OoT to bits and I started TP really looking forward to the adventure. If I ever start playing it again I'll be stood outside the water temple ready to go in. I didn't even get to the first proper dunngeon and I've not touched it for six months since.

One thing that has not deserted me as the amount of free time I have for games diminishes is a desire for games to be challenging. Recently I've struggled through COD2 on Veteran, finished Hitman Blood Money on Pro and started on Ninja Gaiden again.

I don't get this attitude of "oh I haven't got time to be re-doing sections ad nauseam these days I just want to sail through games without worrying about dying." People were saying this when Bully came out.

I just play less games, but play them properly, and like to be tested by them. If I've got a game that puts me off because I can't be bothered to try to get past a certain bit, it's not a good enough game to be worth playing.

I don't get this attitude of "oh I haven't got time to be re-doing sections ad nauseam these days I just want to sail through games without worrying about dying." People were saying this when Bully came out.

What's not to get? I want to enjoy the game, not get frustrated and annoyed that I have to keep repeating the same bits. It really is that simple.

What's not to get? I want to enjoy the game, not get frustrated and annoyed that I have to keep repeating the same bits. It really is that simple.

me too.

if a boss takes me more than a few goes, then I start to get fed up - switch the thing off and move on. I've done my fair share of hard boss battles and I just can't be arsed anymore. I want to enjoy my game. I want to feel as though as there's a challenge but it's not insurmountable...

Ridley in Metroid Prime was the perfect boss.

o/\o

I prefer to see what's in the game, such as set pieces and scenery. I think how enemies attack would also fall into this category too. And I want these to be seamless first encounters, not repeated ad nauseum just because I can't do it.

This would apply to FPSes and 3rd person games mainly.

Sorry, I didn't mean "I don't get it", I just mean the reason I still play games is partially because of the challenge and satisfaction of getting good at them.

It's more immersive being in a pitched gunfight where you have to really think about your next move, or sweating with concentration as you to stay ahead of the pack in a racer.

Still, I don't like hard boss battles or unfair difficulty spikes - just challenging gameplay that gets your pulse racing.

I don't really use the term hardcore because it's one of those terms that everyone has different definitions of. Some people see it as a measure of skill (e.g. you are hardcore if you can one-life Ikaruga without changing colour) and others as a measure of enthusiasm (you post on internet forums about them, you talk in webzines and blogs about them, it affects you on a level beyond sitting behind a screen holding a pad.) And whenever I talk about the term I have this sense of dread that someone's going to go "no no you've got it all wrong idiot..."

Despite this, I can appreciate that different games exist for different people and this explains why people think that "hardcore", "mainstream", etc-type definitions are required. As for myself...I think I've still got plenty of enthusiasm for the art, but I spend much more time writing about games, talking about them, reading about them, watching videos of them...than actually playing the things. Also, I grabbed an hour or so of JSRF tonight, but the combined length of the tag stages and the fear of returning to an incomplete stage the next day and not knowing what the fuck I had done and what I hadn't, meant that I'd rather get one bit done than try for two bits but only manage one-and-a-half.

So it's really a question of free time for me.

Sorry...
...Sorry.

It's so refreshing to see people being polite round here ^_^

I have severely limited time for games too, although I'm not a parent (not until December, anyway). Me and t'missus have been going through Zelda TP since xmas, but we only get the time together to play it every couple of weeks.

Like some others have said, I wish I had more time, especially for games that take a bit more 'effort', like Ikaruga or God Hand, but I don't have the energy to play these kind of games between 10-11pm, which is my main gaiming hour, but I'm usually utterly knackered. A game like Okami is great to play though, as it doesn't take much concerted effor, apart from boss battles.

I find also though, that the right game will sometimes make you find the time and energy. I deliberately didn't want to play a GTA game, cos I knew it'd be virtually endless, but when my missus bought me a PS2 and San Andreas for xmas, I was hooked, and clocked up a good 70 hours over a year or so.

So I guess I'm also post-hardcore, with the occasional lapse for the right game.

me too.

if a boss takes me more than a few goes, then I start to get fed up - switch the thing off and move on. I've done my fair share of hard boss battles and I just can't be arsed anymore. I want to enjoy my game. I want to feel as though as there's a challenge but it's not insurmountable...

Ridley in Metroid Prime was the perfect boss.

This is it. In ye olden days of 16 bit, lack of save points and that meant you learned the bosses and stuck with it, repetitious or not. More patience or more time, I'm not sure. I tell thee, how I fit in playing spectrum games, riding me bike, skinning me knees and elbows and making pretend guns out of sticks into my days I'll never know. I fucking miss it mind ^_^

I think I'd add my name to this post-core sort of grouping, which is made doubly hilarious by the fact that I work in the industry. However, my career has of the last few years been moving more and more toward small-scale games, to the point that I've recently taken on a job as a development manager (kind of a combi designer/producer) in the world of casual games. And, surprisingly. I'm finding that I really really like it. I'm working on tiny games, things like word games, puzzle games, card games and so on and it feels so much more direct and straightforward than anything that I've done in the so-called hardcore industry, which is all big teams and vague ideas and a whole hell of a lot of frustration.

I also find that I'm playing so-called small games more. I'm largely uninterested in the big stuff, and haven't even bought any of the new consoles or even updated my PC in the last I-don't-know-when. Yet a little game like Winterbells can prove fascinating for half an hour. I'm just not that concerned in any meaningful way with being ahead of the game, and even am only passingly interested any more in the Halos and Marios.

I sort of think of it like the days when I used to listen to big metal or dance music versus these days when I find myself interested more in just simple music with singers and a guitar singing about humanity. All three are valid, but there's a time for each in life.

36, recently married with no kids as, to be honest, I'm far too selfish. Games are great though, aren't they?

It's work, not wives/kids/GFs that are eating our precious game time resource. If I came into enough money to retire now, I'd happily spend 10 hours a day, (more likely night), playing games without having to feel that I was neglecting the important aspects of life. Work sucks the veiny root, the other non-game stuff in life is largely cool.

Been hooked since I got a Speccy in 82. I think I'm the gaming equivelent of an aging hippy, or perphaps a raver from the early ninties who really should've stopped by now. I own and regularly use my DS, PSP, PS2 and 360. I'm thinking of blowing the dust off my GC for a spot of Tiger Woods, (cos that had the best pad for that game), and will probably get a PS3 before a Wii because I enjoy bloated, expensive epics.

Then again, I still read comics, buy rock music and love shit horror films. I reckon that makes me Geekcore.

I don't have any kids and am totally single yet the idea of playing games all night or for hours at a time doesn't appeal anymore. It was great years ago when me and my flatmate would play Wipeout, Laser Squad, and loads of others all evening and even all night, and putting lots of effort into a game until you could master it was satisfying. Now I just get this nagging feeling I could be doing something more constructive, my mind is saying "you haven't done x lately" where x is reading, drawing, looking at improving my life in some way. It's a pain but I know my mind is right.

Trouble is I really want to find more meaty games to get stuck into, long RPGs, deep strategy games, stuff I can lose myself in and keep going back to. But in my experience I usually play them for a few hours then 'get it', and don't really need to go on.

And I've lost my way in DQ8. Was totally enjoying that but went back to it after a couple of months recently and couldn't remember what I was supposed to be doing. It got me down because I was so enjoying that. Will I ever get back into it, or will it languish on the shelf the the PC RPGs I've picked up in the last couple of years, never to be touched? I hope not, but there's this definite depressing feeling it'll never get touched ^_^.

Damn, please, someone cheer me up!

36, recently married with no kids as, to be honest, I'm far too selfish. Games are great though, aren't they?

It's work, not wives/kids/GFs that are eating our precious game time resource. If I came into enough money to retire now, I'd happily spend 10 hours a day, (more likely night), playing games without having to feel that I was neglecting the important aspects of life. Work sucks the veiny root, the other non-game stuff in life is largely cool.

Been hooked since I got a Speccy in 82. I think I'm the gaming equivelent of an aging hippy, or perphaps a raver from the early ninties who really should've stopped by now. I own and regularly use my DS, PSP, PS2 and 360. I'm thinking of blowing the dust off my GC for a spot of Tiger Woods, (cos that had the best pad for that game), and will probably get a PS3 before a Wii because I enjoy bloated, expensive epics.

Then again, I still read comics, buy rock music and love shit horror films. I reckon that makes me Geekcore.

I think for people who got into games in the early-to-mid-80s we'll never totally tire of games. We've seen all the developments down the years and will want to see how it carries on even when we're too old. It's just stuff like work and responsibility make us grow out of the old habits, and we have to realise that no matter how much into games we may be we can't just plug away at them forever. Just think of all the time you put into games which today seem utterly pointless and needlessly hard. That's hardcore.

It's a sobering thought though, but you never know, we might get to our 50s and 60s and by then games will have matured with us and we can keep playing. I bloody well hope so anyway.

It's a sobering thought though, but you never know, we might get to our 50s and 60s and by then games will have matured with us and we can keep playing.

I hope I'm gone long before the gaming equivalent of Matlock is inflicted upon us. *shudder*

I hope I'm gone long before the gaming equivalent of Matlock is inflicted upon us. *shudder*

No, didn't mean that sort of mature, just games that suit us, all the flavour of the old games but more fun and less frustrating. Well something along those lines anyway.

I suspect we'll start to see this - sooner rather than later to be honest.

There's a growing market for proper 'mature' games. Something that can be happily played by mature people - rather than something that gets a 'mature' rating because it features lots of violence.