Weird short sections in songs

Kelthink

Right, I'm just thinking about tracks containing a small section which seems completely different to the rest of the track, but is awesome, possibly better than the song. Right now I'm thinking:

-the closing section in Backstrokin' by Mr Bungle (2:12-onwards)

-the closing section in In Like Flynn by The Wildhearts (2:30-onwards)

-the first 9-10 seconds of Mexican Radio by Wall of Voodoo (even though the rest of the song is pretty gash)

Any others?

Here's some:

1. The bit where the vocal harmonies burst through in Knights Of Cydonia by Muse (3:18)

2. Not a bit, but the subtle speed change between verse and chorus in Surprise, You're Dead! by Faith No More

3. The rousing call to "freedom" in (Baby Baby) Can I Invade Your Country by Sparks (2:56)

4. The big guitarry/orchestra bit after "Give Me Everything, Give Me Everything" in The Fuses Have Been Lit by Pop Will Eat Itself (2:30). The song is one build-up to this point.

Great topic man.

There's a really nice acousticcy bit at the end of Bad Religion's Atheist Peace

And, similar to 'in Like Flynn' there's a nice bit at the end of 'All American Homeboy Crowd' telling us many interesting uses of the word 'Fuck'

Here:

Perhaps one of the most interesting word in the English language today is the word fuck.

It is one of those magical words which, just by its sound, can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love.

It can be used as a verb, both intransitive ? Mary was fucked by John

And transitive ? John fucked Mary.

As an adverb ? Mary is fucking interested in John

And as a noun ? Mary is a fine fuck.

It can also be used as an adjective ? Mary was a fucking beautiful girl.

As you can see, there are not many words with the versatility of fuck.

Besides the sexual meaning there are the following uses:

Fraud ? I got fucked at the used car lot,

Dismay ? Oh, fuck it!,

Trouble ? I guess I?m fucked now!,

Aggression ? Fuck you!,

Difficulty ? I don?t understand this fucking job,

Displeasure ? What the fuck is going on here?,

Incompetence ? he?s a fuck off,

Ignorance ? Fuck if I know,

Apathy ? Who gives a fuck?,

Defiance ? The fuck you can!

I know you can think of may more uses, but with all these uses, how can anyone be offended when you say fuck?

We can use this word more often in our daily speech.It adds to your prestige.

The organ bit at the end of Coffee and TV by Blur is nice. They also had a knack for spoiling the mood - I know these are two tracks, but following This is a Low with Lot 105 was a real killer.

These are probably more key changes than anything, but 3.18 in PCP by the Manics is brilliant and Driver 8 by REM does a similar thing at 1:40 - in fact REM were masters at this on their early stuff, creating an almost euphoric sound on some songs.

I'm not normally a big fan of guitar solos, but I like it when they just emerge out seamlessly from the song, while still feeling part of the song, if you know what I mean. Two excellent examples are the beautiful Mayonaise by Smashing Pumpkins and Pennyroyal Tea by Nirvana.

- That solitary little cowbell hit at about 2:10 of Sabbath's 'The Wizard' always pleases me so much I can't help but laugh. It's so ridiculously brilliant and audacious it's comical.

- A bit sad, but towards the end of 'Africa' by Toto there's a little bit where the synth riff is replaced by a piano and it's bloody marvellous.

- There's a bit in 'Frictional Nevada' by Venetian Snares when it just starts going 'DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN-DUN' as though it might drop into a pretty regular beat before quickly dropping back into absolute chaos. It's brilliant.

- Always been fond of the part in Goblin's 'Suspiria' where everything drops out apart from a synth wooping away like crazy, before everything returns faster and harder than before.

- the end of the dead flag blues and providence on f#a#(infinity)

- the weird pulsing bit near the start of body second, safety last.

- the chanting start to as the roots undo

- ores by youthmovie... you'll know what I mean if you know the track (actually most of the album has short sections that don't really fit in but sound ace)

- disease by swing kids

- most of the mars volta's tracks

- when the base goes all heavy at the end of 'aren't we all running?'

I'll probably be lambasted by every Radiohead fan going but why the 'clunking' bit in creep.

Im sure there's some artistic reason for it, but it just seems unecessary.

(this has probably been discussed a million times before? if so, sorry!)

I'll probably be lambasted by every Radiohead fan going but why the 'clunking' bit in creep.

Im sure there's some artistic reason for it, but it just seems unecessary.

(this has probably been discussed a million times before? if so, sorry!)

Greenwood disliked the song apparently so did it just before the chorus. Thats how legend goes anyway, I like it.

- That solitary little cowbell hit at about 2:10 of Sabbath's 'The Wizard' always pleases me so much I can't help but laugh. It's so ridiculously brilliant and audacious it's comical.

That cowbell is genius, good call.

Sorry to bang on, but early Genesis is full of these musical left turns that just happen once and then get thrown out, never to be heard again. 'Supper's Ready' is one long procession of them, although a couple of the themes do bookend it.

The bit in "That man will not hang" by Mclusky where the drums go half time and you think there's going to be a big classic rock bit...but then it only lasts 2 beats and it kicks back in at normal time.

This is why I love Mclusky. Only band I've ever encountered where even the drums are sarcastic.

There are hundreds of examples of this in hip-hop. Probably thousands. I can think of loads of the top of my head; like the little intro beat in 'Crate Diggin'' by Lootpack, or the cool little instrumental snippets that Pete Rock programs in to the beginning of his tracks (such as 'T.R.O.Y.'). There's also that bit at the beginning of the proper album version of 'Winter Warz' by Ghostface Killah that features the little flute melody before fading out for the proper beat to start.

Literally hundreds.

Actually, I have an ace idea for a game ... cutting out some of these hip-hop ones that I can think of and seeing if anyone can guess the track it's from. Might do it next week.

'Fat city strut' by Mandrill. It starts off with the usual mandrill monster breakbeat, a clavi, horns and the rest, and about a third of the way through, it swerves suddenly into super smooth lounge music with cowbell and vibes. Then it goes back to the funk. Genius

That bit in "We suck young blood" by radiohead when the piano becomes all upbeat and you think things are going to go all crazy but it only last about 15 seconds and then Thom goes back to moaning again.

That one's great. He's all bashing the piano like a spaz.

There's any number but one really standing out at the moment is at 1:32 of Inno a Satana by Emperor where the song goes from this machinegun-like single note sextuplet-feel riff on two guitars and bass to Samoth's lone guitar playing slow arpeggios. Awesome.