Perry (the proper one) not too keen on Wii

Rev

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=c...96&Itemid=2

While the Wii is currently the fastest selling home console globally, Dave Perry has asserted that the graphical prowess of rival next generation hardware will steal consumers away from its user base. He also believes that the Wii’s interface is not the “final solutionâ€.

Speaking to Disposable Media, Perry reasoned that gamers are simply attracted to gorgeous visuals, a factor that could limit the Wii’s long-term appeal.

"The graphical power of the 360 and PS3 are essential to them attracting the Wii's user base. The fact is, gamers are attracted to beautiful looking games.

"When a game comes out - a game like a Halo or something, something they haven’t seen before - they'll drop everything and they’ll drop their Wii controllers when it does."

However, Perry admits that the PlayStation 3 has yet to achieve anything approaching its potential.

“In every way, the machine hasn’t succeeded yet in what it can deliver.â€

Perry attributed the PS3’s failing so far to its high price point, an initial lack of Blu-ray movies and 1080p support, and difficulty in programming for the system in its early days. Nevertheless, he feels that developers will soon begin to tap into the console’s true capabilities.

“I don’t think we’ve seen a true PS3 title yet, but developers are getting better and it’s only a matter of time before the PS3 starts achieving what it offers to consumers.â€

Dave Perry also noted that while Nintendo’s decision to utilize an interactive control system is a step in the right direction, it is by no means “the final solution†to user interfaces.

Perry said that adding complexity to control systems was the wrong strategy for manufacturers to follow. He praised Nintendo’s Wii controller but added that further innovation would lead to better interfaces in time.

“What we see at the moment is companies adding more and more complexity to a game’s input, which is the wrong direction games are going in.

“The model for the Wii interface is clearly working, Nintendo took buttons off their controller, and that didn’t make it impossible to make games for it. There’s like seventeen different buttons on a PlayStation 3 controller.

"I think we'll always see more and more interesting approaches to interface, and I really don't think the Wii is the ultimate solution to that.â€

Download the entire interview from www.disposablemedia.co.uk.

The full interview is here:

10493482uj5.jpg

Well? I can see where he is coming from, but there doesn't seem to be evidence to back it up.

Why do the gaming media keep giving this guy so much exposure, he hasn't made anything remotely decent since MDK and if you read around then the game that made him an 'industry superstar' in the first place, Earthworm Jim, was probably more the work of someone else than him.

Why do the gaming media keep giving this guy so much exposure, he hasn't made anything remotely decent since MDK and if you read around then the game that made him an 'industry superstar' in the first place, Earthworm Jim, was probably more the work of someone else than him.

Agreed. 'Bellend' is the only word I can think of to describe him.

Perry said pretty much the same thing about the Sega 32X.

He couldn't see the point of Sega releasing something that played games that hardly looked any better than normal Megadrive games. He said Sega should have gone for High resolution and millions of colours on screen, rather than half hearted 3D.

I think he was right back then, but I don't think he's right this time because only geeky technology freaks really notice/appreciate the difference.

he seems to think that everyone playing Wii are going to want to play Halo 3 and will then ditch their Wii.

that's nonsense!

I want to play Halo 3 - I also want to play Bioshock - and Metroid and Mario Galaxy and SSBB....

tool

Check out his site for some hilarious 'Man at C&A' photos. :P

http://www.dperry.com/archives/about_dp/about_dp/

Perry resigned from being Shiny's President in February 2006 and since then he is currently working on:

(1) Directing a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Roleplaying Game) for Acclaim called 2Moons. (http://2moons.acclaim.com)

(2) Directing the first Massively Multiplayer Dancing Game called Dance. (http://dance.acclaim.com)

(3) Directing the first community created MMO game. With tens of thousands of developers on his team. (http://topsecret.acclaim.com)

(4) Representing a lot of key video game talent as the CEO of a Video Game Consultancy company called GAMECONSULTANTS.COM

(5) The CEO of a new Video Game Investment Portal called GAMEINVESTORS.COM - (Goes live in May 2007.)

(6) An Expert Video Game Industry Columnist for BusinessWeek.com

(7) Consulting on MAJOR "Branded" Hollywood projects currently in development.

(:( Helping Students into the Video Game Industry through a collection of Websites starting with this one.

(9) Writing an 'Open Source' Free Reference Book on Game Design, for colleges available through this site. (A life's work, this book will never be complete.)

(10) Building a free visual database of the entire video game industry. www.gameindustrymap.com

Move over Miyamoto!

To be fair to him he says GAMERS will drop their Wii controllers when they see something unbelievable with killer graphics. And he says the Wiimote isn't the perfect solution. Well, it's probably not, but like he says it's a start.

So get off his back you guys.

I'm a GAMER... I'll happily play BOTH.

So, you'd play both, would you? At the same time? No, of course not, you'd 'drop' your Wiimote and play the mega-stonking awesome new game.

So really Matthew Perry here's comment aren't totally insane, when approached with a resonable head.

That's a big part of the passion for developers. They're all tech heads wanting to squeeze power out of a system, and not happy with the sudden change-around apparently.

And that's the problem! If these spods put more effort into their games than the presentation they might actually make some money and shut up belly-aching about going bust all the time.

And that's the problem! If these spods put more effort into their games than the presentation they might actually make some money and shut up belly-aching about going bust all the time.

Quality is subjective. Something can have high production values and be a piece of shit, masterpieces can sell fuck all. I think developers know what they're doing. For the most part games are still primarily a visual medium.

anyway, doesn't the fact that i'll be dropping my wiimote for halo 3 mean i'll already have a wii?

i'll be picking it up again as soon as galaxy arrives (if only for a short time).