Harvest Moon 64

mwaawm

I have the original cart and my old N64 together with an import adaptor up in the loft, trouble is the mrs will never bother with the faff of setting that up. She has however expressed an interest in the Harvest moon games advertised for the GBA/DS but seeing as these have all been awful compared to the N64 game I want to get it running on our PC so she can play the best vesion of this game.

Im using Project64 1.6 but harvest moon runs like treacle on it even at the smallest windowed resolution and the music is very jittery. My PC isnt the latest or greatest (Pentium M Centrino 1.6ghz 512mg ram ATi 128mb video) but it should run this fine as it manages other N64 emulation quite adequately. Is there some secret way of getting Harvest Moon 64 running properly or do I need to invest in a new PC?

I have the original cart and my old N64 together with an import adaptor up in the loft, trouble is the mrs will never bother with the faff of setting that up. She has however expressed an interest in the Harvest moon games advertised for the GBA/DS but seeing as these have all been awful compared to the N64 game I want to get it running on our PC so she can play the best vesion of this game.

Im using Project64 1.6 but harvest moon runs like treacle on it even at the smallest windowed resolution and the music is very jittery. My PC isnt the latest or greatest (Pentium M Centrino 1.6ghz 512mg ram ATi 128mb video) but it should run this fine as it manages other N64 emulation quite adequately. Is there some secret way of getting Harvest Moon 64 running properly or do I need to invest in a new PC?

Wasn't the PSOne version a jaggier port of the N64 one?

You might want to go down that road instead.

No, the PSone version was a much, much better game, with less popup, fog and terrible fonts and translations.

And it's one of the few PSone roms that is both readily out there and works fine.

HM64 runs fine for me on various emus, but the shadows lie on top of characters, always.

Having tried every flavour of harvest moon released since the N64 one and finding each one lacking Im kinda averse to getting the playstation one, especially as I have no clue about how to emulate the playstation on my PC.

Does the psX emulator have filters to remove the jaggies and pixelation from the Playstation version? Im really used to the cuddly soft style of the N64 one and would find typical playstation polygons a bit harsh in comparison.

harvest moon 64 is considered by fans to be the best in the series. i wouldn't go for the psone version, it suffers from horrible loading times. The GBA's 'friends of mineral town' is an up[date of the psone version and is much better, definitely my favourite harvest moon

Well, currently (on the N64 emulator Project64 1.6) I'm getting a solid 60fps in 640x480 windowed, and I have near-identical specifications (1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM, GeForce 6600GT 128MB.) I'm using Jabo's DirectWhatever plugins for everything as well (Direct3D8 1.6, DirectSound 1.6, DirectInput7 1.6.)

However, I do have a lot of my graphics plugin settings turned off:

hm_config.jpg

If messing with those doesn't fix anything, I'd perhaps check for background processes? Given the similar specifications, I can't pin down any particular hardware that might be underperforming, so I can't suggest anything beyond that...

EDIT: Also, if you go to Options>Settings>Options and uncheck Hide Advanced Settings, there is some stuff you can mess about with, but I don't know what any of it is and have never had to touch it. Hmm...

Thanks for all the advice, will try and check out the plug ins on my Project64 tonight. Otherwise I may get Friends of Mineral Town for the Mrs to play on the DS Though personally I didnt like it at all when I played it back when it came out- seemed a bit too complicated compared to the N64 one though it may be preferable to the DS version which seems dire to me.

In fact I'm trying to recall now did the N64 as much faffing with Harvest sprites? Im sure the reason I liked that was it was tightly focussed on crop and animal raising / Horse & Dog Training / Spouse wooing. The newer games added too many elements which IMO detracted from these three core parts of the gameplay.

Well I tried this last night and though I have the exact same plaugins as you quazimod and a similar specced PC the best it manages is a stuttery 30fps.

Im currently running spybot and adaware to clear out anything that might be holding it up but think its actually more likely to be some of the idle background system processes that are always running on my task manager....anyone know of a good program for sorting these out and stopping them running automatically in future without faffing around with config files etc.