Golfers - which 'Club' are you a member of...

therealjohnpeat

Golf games - they've been around since the dawn-of-time (well - the dawn of gaming anyway!) - and we still seem as keen on them as ever.

Thing is - we're still playing the same game I first encountered on a CGA display about 20 years ago I think - swing meter, 'grid' green etc. etc. - are we really so shallow as to be continually re-sold the same game with tacked-on benefits like a 'Pro Shop' for pimping our golfers?

I've played a little EG (not bad - but kill the voices please!), some Tiger (could putting be any easier - could commenators annoy more?) some Links (could putting be any more random!) and even DS Touch Golf (which was - as far as I could tell - playable without ever looking at the flag!!) - but I'm struggling to work out why I should be paying for a game so stuck in the past?

As far as I can tell - the Shot Online Golf MMOG is free - apart from Golf clothing!?!?!?

So - Golfers - where are you playing - and why - and will Tiger 2008 have anything other than slightly more detailed eyebrows and turn-ups? :D

I note the mad-rush into EG/Hot Shots/Minna on PS3 with some astonishment tbh...

Ninna no golf, best bar none.

I played a pressed silver copy of the original until the laser on my PS1 burnt out. It was the only game ive ever played from evening until sunrise.

Had the original Japanese versions of 1-4 which I sold (which i regret).

It only seemed to really take off over here with the PSP version, which ive never played.

Now 5 is out on PS3 and I haven't got one,..i nearly buckled last week but closed my browser as I was about to check out (literally)

I love golf games. All of them. I much prefer the 3-click swing meter method to all others mind you.

Tiger Woods games are far too easy.

Mario Golf on the Gameboy colour and GameCube are probably my favourites. :D

Wii Golf, definitely. Beautiful controls.

I've quite enjoyed PGA Tour Golf '96 on the Game Boy though. Back then, golf was golf, every game was pretty much the same only with fancier graphics. With no fancy graphics to get in the way, this was just pure three-click golf in the palm of your hand, with five courses and satisfying gameplay.

Nintendo Touch Golf FTW :) Except for the bizarre putting paths in the later courses :D

Agreed.

(I now thoroughly hate Pangya on Wii, which is surprising considering how much I was playing it last month.)

Others of note include Mario Golf 64 and Front Page Sports Golf on PC. The latter I considered amazing at the time due to the 'drag and push' mouse controls and 'comedy' sound effects.

Links is the successor to Leaderboard, and does everything just as well.

Yeah, i like Links, but Leaderboard was so beautiful - and at that time, we gathered around the Mac at my gf's flat and played for hours while getting smashed. Nothing was funnier than the "splash" sound when someone forgot to change from the wood one to the 6 iron before playing and ended up in the pound.

Man, Leaderboard was so far ahead of its time.

It was unbelievable.

And I started by playing golf on the Philips Videopac.

435px-Videopac10-golf.jpg

I used to think nothing would ever beat Mario Golf GBC, but Touch Golf DS is coming close.

And a properly fleshed out version of Wii Sports Golf but with EXACTLY THE SAME CONTROLS would own all.

Links, obviously. The only reason anyone would say Tiger Woods is because they haven't played Links.

And there's nothing random about the putting. Nothing about the game is random, which is why it's hard.

I'm with this guy.

I also liked that golf game when the PSP first came out - hours of fun.

I'm with this guy.

Don't get me wrong - I liked Links on the XBOX - but putting was just too-hard.

I guess it's the point you go from 'sim' to 'game' - in the real world, putting is the really-hard part of golf - making it as-hard as reality makes for a no-fun game IMO.

EG on PSP has about as decent a putting system as I've seen - Tiger just makes it too-easy IMO

I still amazingly confused as to why I'm paying for the same game for the 10th time tho :D

p.s. I've yet to play MG:TT on GC but I have fond memories of MG on N64 - am I in for a shock?

I've yet to play MG:TT on GC but I have fond memories of MG on N64 - am I in for a shock?

Only if perfect control mechanics shock you.

It's always fair...if you don't hit the shot you want, it's entirely your fault, and it has the best putting system I've seen.

There was an EA PGA game on the SNES with Mode7 stuff instead of still images that wasn't half bad either.

Noooooo! It was shocking.

I spent a stupid amount of time playing PGA II and European Tour on the Megadrive with my flatmates at uni - both excellent games. The SNES version was awful, losing all the depth and finesse of the MD version. And the graphics were dire.

PGA Tour Golf 2 on MD, Mario Golf on GBC (GBA was OK too), Neo Turf Masters on NGPC, Links on Xbox, Everybody's Golf on PSP.....new Tiger on 360 is ok.

My favourite of them all has to be Mario Golf on GBC. I still delete/complete/forget/revisit to this day!