QuakeCon 2007 Announcements

northy

But it must make for a compromise in what's possible? In the case of something like CS:S I could see that being a good thing (for example people jumping around a corner and head-shotting you within a split second) but for something like Q3A, I can't see how you could pull off multiple rocket jumps, grenade jumps, strafe jumping etc which are what makes the game so amazing in the first place.

Like I say though, it's a definite purchase either way.

Q3A really is the pinnacle of PC FPS gaming, I'd be surprised if it's ever bettered.

A heads-up to anyone thinking about getting the Id Super Pack. Everything pre-Final Doom is set up to run under DOSBox (as has been mentioned), and runs like absolute dogshit. Carmack has advised people to get the source ports for the Doom games over trying to play them with DOSBox. Annoying, as part of the reason I bought the pack was to have everything available from a handy integrated menu in Steam. Oh well.

Steam has a no refunds policy, doesn't it? I seem to remember something about that. But can they really uphold it when something turns out to be broken in that way?

I should point out that the games still work fine, just the default way they've set them up to run through the Steam menu is a bit of a mess. The reason given is that they can't include or be seen as endorsing specific third party source ports. Hopefully future updates will improve matters.

Another thing I noticed last night was that you don't get the CD soundtracks for the games that had them.

Hahah ;)

I was gonna say though; Rage does indeed look incredible - much better than the last time they demo'd it. It looks pretty much like a CG movie. Games are going to look scary as hell in about 5 years time, aren't they? :ph34r:

I always read it as I lover age. Now I know why it didn't make much sense to me. :ph34r:

It's french in origin. Was in france years ago and there was a billboard with iloverage written on it. Can't remember anything else apart from that. Yeah, so I came up with this handle very shortly after that. For some reason it stuck in my head and thought it sounded cool.

Not so keen on it now, but you know, can't be arsed changing.

Steam has a no refunds policy, doesn't it? I seem to remember something about that. But can they really uphold it when something turns out to be broken in that way?

Didn't stop them when HL2 was originally released, did it? :ph34r:

Stutter, you say?

I should point out that the games still work fine, just the default way they've set them up to run through the Steam menu is a bit of a mess. The reason given is that they can't include or be seen as endorsing specific third party source ports. Hopefully future updates will improve matters.

Another thing I noticed last night was that you don't get the CD soundtracks for the games that had them.

Hexen runs like shit, but the rest work well enough in DOSBox. I just use the Doomsday engine for the lot anyway, and the ProQuake launcher for improved GL Quake. Not being able to launch the games from Steam as such is a small price to pay.

• 11 months later...

Microsoft in restrictive storage issue shocker for the 360 version of Rage says Carmack.

<a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37903.html" target="_blank">http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37903.html</a>

See also:

id's post-apocalyptic open-world shooter Rage (PC, PS3, 360, Mac) will look worse on Xbox 360 due to the compression needed to fit the game's assets on two DVDs, programmer John Carmack revealed at tonight's QuakeCon keynote.

According to Carmack, the royalty fees to include a third disc in the Xbox 360 version would be so high that it simply isn't a feasible solution, with the programmer hoping for Microsoft to make a concession. He stressed that the issue is merely a storage problem and has nothing to do with the power of the Xbox 360 hardware, while adding that the PlayStation 3's Blu-ray format is Sony's one leg up on the competition.

Carmack also noted his belief that neither Doom 4 or Rage will be digitally distributed online, as id isn't looking into that sort of distribution for its major titles at this point.

During last year's QuakeCon talk, Carmack stated that the PlayStation 3 edition of Rage would ship on a single Blu-ray disc, with the PC and Mac versions likely to arrive in both Blu-ray and DVD form.

Source

That said he does say in the Gametrailer interview the PS3 isn't entirely the smoothest console either as regards to maxing out its unique architecture, so I guess there isn't that much of an advantage working on the Sony's platform apart from the storage according to him anyway.

Although I can see this as becoming an issue of continued embarrassment if Microsoft fails to budge on the technical concessions Carmack hinted as crucial to enhancing performance on a level anywhere near what the scope of this game in particular demands from the host hardware. Especially when you consider that Kim Shane, VP guy from MS recently saying MMO's are problematic for the 360 (owing to what is again primarily an issue of lack of storage as standard).

Ah well, tis only one game i guess. Shame its the one i was probably most looking forward to, given its a Road Rash/MM clone.

What i find ironic is this comes out during the release of GW2 RE - one of the most addictive games ever. So you have this "360 can't do this" chat, and probably one of the best selling games on XBLA released at the same time.

It's not really a technical problem though. They just want a lower rate for royalties.

Well it sorta' is because of Microsoft's policy of not making mandatory HDD's within all SKU's of the console making it infeasible - like Carmack says in the video to cache data using the HDD. Otherwise they would be able to stream less of the data from the disc as on PC or even PS3.

One of the reasons why I said this might become a problem is if every developer creating a massive blockbuster game did the same by appealing to Microsoft to make an exception in royalty payments due to the lack of disc capacity I very much doubt Microsoft would be flexible enough to either have the game on one disc and make HDD's mandatory just for these types of games and force an install or (even more unlikely) just plain reduce the royalties. Although I'm pretty sure they must have eagerly jumped at the chance of making such concessions as regards the Square-Enix deal owing to the magnitude of the franchise.

Makes no difference to me. I, like any SENSIBLE person, was always going to get it on PC.

I wish I could say the same for me too but I'm skint at the mo' ^_^ Even though for someone as inexperienced as me at building a gaming PC I would happily go the lengths to do so just to play the game how it was meant to be played what with the standard control interface of mouse and keyboard being essential for id games in particular).

Are they not expecting this to sell then? Lost Odyssey came on 4 discs, so the royalty cost obviously wasn't a problem for them. I would have expected this to sell more than Lost Odyssey if it is any cop. But maybe I'm underestimating Lost Odyssey compared top this.

Have any games which haven't been published or had the development paid for by Microsoft even used more than one disc so far?

Maybe this Microsoft policy of charging more licensing money for more discs is actually their way of helping their customers as it actively discourages developers and publishers from making games which would use multiple discs as it becomes financially unfeasible for them, while ensuring customers don't have the hassle of disc swapping and remembering which disc was the boot disc.

Carmack's interview on 1up was very informative, he certainly didn't let his non-existent PR handler stop him from giving his honest opinion on things ^_^

Annoying, as part of the reason I bought the pack was to have everything available from a handy integrated menu in Steam. Oh well.

You can set up Doomsday shortcuts and pop them in Steam. Slightly fiddly but you only have to do it once, and after that you have the benefit of a massively improved experience.

Well it sorta' is because of Microsoft's policy of not making mandatory HDD's within all SKU's of the console making it infeasible - like Carmack says in the video to cache data using the HDD. Otherwise they would be able to stream less of the data from the disc as on PC or even PS3.

Even with the option of a HDD install, you'd still need three or more DVDs to ship the game data.

Charging a higher licensing fee (not just media costs) on multi-disc games, purely to save face, with no regard given to how this will fuck over developers and cripple data-intensive games? Absurd, selfish idiocy.

Even with the option of a HDD install, you'd still need three or more DVDs to ship the game data.

Charging a higher licensing fee (not just media costs) on multi-disc games, purely to save face, with no regard given to how this will fuck over developers and cripple data-intensive games? Absurd, selfish idiocy.

I know but hey that's surely a possibility especially when you take into account MS's past corporate strategies, most of which can only be seen to bullish attempts at saving face despite us finding out later down the line that the dialogue process is a foregone conclusion at best and an utter sham at worst.

By the way whilst I don't presume anyone to have in depth knowledge about the particular royalty fee system MS employs in practice but in this case is it that they charge more per extra disc or that they add the same charge for the first disc onto any additionally included discs? Thanks.