Reviewing old games (Virtual Console/Live Arcade etc.)

Lothar Hex

Is there ANY point in websites and magazines writing reviews of old Mega Drive, Snes, Nes et.c games that can be downloaded for the various consoles now? Honestly, what's the point in reviewing Sonic the Hedgehog 1 on Xbox Live Arcade? What the hell are we going to be told what we don't already know?

I casn understand for things lie Pac-Man Revolution(essentially a full Pac-Man sequel) or Atomc Tank (or whatever it's called( but why do we need a review of bloody Galaga?

I think www.1up.com has the right idea, giving a brief paragraph on what the game's all about and giving it a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. There is a lot of shit on the Virtual Console, and people without encyclopaedic knowledge of gaming history really do need to know what's not worth bothering with...

Man, I suspect it'll take more than that.

(More seriously: I liked reading reviews. I presume some people still like doing so.)

(And reading a review of a game we all know is fun in the same way reading a forum thread about a game we've all played can be)

(And - as others have noted - Sonic the Hedgehog is kerzillion years old. Many new gamers will have never played it, meaning a review is fine.)

KG

I think www.1up.com has the right idea, giving a brief paragraph on what the game's all about and giving it a simple thumbs up or thumbs down. There is a lot of shit on the Virtual Console, and people without encyclopaedic knowledge of gaming history really do need to know what's not worth bothering with...

That's a good way to do it in my opinion. Gives you the basic info and telling you if it may be worth your time or not.

I quite enjoy reading about games that I missed first time around, and I've made a number of VC purchases purely from reviews. Its very helpful to know whether an old game is worth my time or not.

I do find retrospective reviews of games (non re-released games) a little puzzling though, in that case it is a bit of sharing popular opinion.

Reviews aren't neccessary for Live Arcade games though - you can trial everything and make up your own mind. More reliable than demos for forthcoming new titles as the trials are from a "finished" game and as Arcade games are relatively simple trialling them first always gives you a good idea of what to expect from the full game

I'm hardly the biggest Live Arcade user, but I've thought some of the Trials were simply insufficient to get a taste of the game. Also... you gonna play every single game released on it to find out?

Trials are great when you know you want to try something. They're not so great when you don't know you want to play it even in the first place.

KG

Don't forget that some conversions whether it be for the VC or XBLA can come with numerous problems. The US VC release of F-Zero X FOR INSTANCE being a little underwhelming, or so I was told.

What's wrong with it? Thought the PAL one would be worse (borders, speed)

What's wrong with it? Thought the PAL one would be worse (borders, speed)

The Pal version on Virtual console is nigh on perfect nice and fast and smooth whereas the NTSC version has framerate issues that make it unplayable in the opinion of many people

I'm hardly the biggest Live Arcade user, but I've thought some of the Trials were simply insufficient to get a taste of the game. Also... you gonna play every single game released on it to find out?

Trials are great when you know you want to try something. They're not so great when you don't know you want to play it even in the first place.

KG

I look at everything - it's only one or two games a week. Sometimes I don't get beyond the "How to Play" screen, but if an Arcade title doesn't do it for me from a trial then, for me, it's a fail.

Yeah, exactly. I'm more likely to read reviews of stuff I've already played.

I mean, there's a reason why the biggest threads on Eurogamer are of stuff which everyone's already played.

KG

I thought the biggest use of VC reviews is to know how it's been updated. Knowing that Sonic on Live has more features than Sonic on the VC is a good example.

The Mean Machines Virtual Console Archive: http://www.vc-reviews.com/ is really nicely done, I think.

Far too rose-tinted in many instances (I got Dungeon Explorer on the PCE due to their initial 5 star review, now 4 stars; an all-round terrible game with absolutely no redeeming features), and too harsh in others (TJ&E is worth more than a paltry 3 stars). Overall, idiots.