IGNORED

Civilization IV

Eats hoops and leaves

The one thing that really gets on my tits with Civ4 is every foreigner constantly asking you for open borders. If you didn't get the first 20 times Frenchy, it's time to go Waterloo on your arse!

I like to wedge civilisations on peninsulas in to their starting area by building cities around them and declining open borders.

Then, when they refuse your trumped up demands for gold, they'll be too weak to stop you taking it by force.

Good ol' force of numbers.

Are there nay decent hints and tips around for this? I played a couple of games over the weekend, won one, lost one, but never really felt like I knew what I was doing. The FAQs on Gamefaqs seem to just be rehashes of the manual, virtually.

Depends on what you want to know. Different civilisations and types of map mean different tactics in most cases.

I personally either like to play as Cyrus or Louis XIV. Both have the +2 culture spread, which is incredibly important for the early game and the founding of cities near enemy territory. Cyrus has the extra health, to allow for rapid city growth, and Louis has the always useful 50% speed increase on building wonders.

When you start, try to build a scout as soon as possible, if you start with a warrior the benefits from villages and movement range impairs you more than you would realise at the start. Keep an eye out for marble and stone, pretty much everything in the early game is built faster with it, so plan your city building so that you can guarantee a source of one of them for your civilisation (if you spot both, get them, even if it means one city is cut off from the rest of your empire, you'll just have to make sure you keep the respective civs between you and the resource are friendly so you can keep up open borders). Obviously, this means you have to have a whole bunch of workers plodding about the place, so make sure you have 2-3 building a trade network to ensure all newly discovered resources (horses, copper, etc) are connected up ASAP. There is nothing more annoying than having an advanced unit and not being able to build it because your trade network isn't set up properly.

If you're playing on an archipeligo, do everything possible to make sure you have the best capable navy. Always, always, always have two of your most advanced defensive units in all cities, with at least 3 on border cities (especially if you're near an aggressive Civ, like the Aztecs/Greeks). Choose your religion carefully, don't convert to one just because you've discovered it. I always choose the same religion as the majority of civs, then try and spread it to my neighbours. More wars are holy wars than any other.

If you find a civilisation that starts on a peninsula try to hem them in with cities as soon as possible, deny all requests for open borders, and pile up the +culture buildings and citizens naerby to try to encompass them in to your Empire. Great artists are brilliant for this, the +4000 culture bonus has bagged me a free city more times than I can remember. Most times they'll then be too weak to prove any kind of bother, especially if they have 3 cities or less. You can only do this in the really early game though.

There's no real set formula to it after that. If you're unlucky enough to find yourself at war a lot, make sure you have barracks and are researching military technologies, if you aren't, go for techs that give you an advantage over other players (free techs, free great people, free building X in each city etc). Some victories are easier than others, with space race and points generally being the easiest, but sometimes the game works out in a way that you have to adapt your plan for a different type of victory.

That should do you for starters, if you need any more help, this is a great website:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/

Nuclear war was most unsatisfying in Civ III. Has it been improved? It was always my favourite strategy. It won me no favours, or games, and the rest of the world immediately declared war on me, but what were they going to do? I had about 300 ICBMs.

Nuclear war was most unsatisfying in Civ III. Has it been improved? It was always my favourite strategy. It won me no favours, or games, and the rest of the world immediately declared war on me, but what were they going to do? I had about 300 ICBMs.

The graphics are certainly improved. The ugly orange pollution is gone and in its stead nuclear attacks leave a pleasant glow around a city.

• 2 years later...

In previous threads about war games, I talked about wanting a game that lets me broadly control a WWII scenario, without getting quite as detailed as something like Hearts of Iron. On this sort of thinking, I got Making History, but still found it quite confusing. Although I love Civilization Revolution on the PS3, it took me ages to think of trying Civ 4 with some WWII scenarios. Beyond the Sword comes with a really fun, basic WWII scenario set that I've been totally addicted to. My only problem with it is that the bought version makes you pick either a Pacific or European campaign, but I heard you can download a mod for a worldwide scenario (why that wasn't there in the start, I have no idea). I have actually factually been playing the Road to War WWII campaign every day for a month now.

I'm sure this is news to no one, but just in case anyone hasn't heard of this and has similar interests, I'm going to indulge in some thread resurrection (it's been 3 years since the last post). In the Road to War mod of Civ 4, which is part of the Beyond the Sword expansion pack (probably available to download seperately though, as it is a fan-made mod), you pick just about any country which existed in the late 1930s and guide them through WWII. There are three levels to choose from after your first turn, a strictly historic one (everything happens when it really did), a roughly historic one (everything happens around when it did, depending on your actions) and a totally free version that merely presents the situation.

At first I picked the 'free' version, and managed to repeat my early success in Making History, getting the Greeks and Turks to join the war from a chain of events leading from a pre-emptive attack on Italian forces in North Africa. Soon though, everything became crazy to a mind-melting end. The Dutch attacked France, Norway tried to invade Germany, etc. Around the time I found myself, as the British, occupying Amsterdam and ceeding it to the French, I realised something had gone wrong.

So the best bet is one of the other two modes. Personally, I find the roughly historic version the best. You lose the ability to declare war yourself, but it keeps with the wider understood themes of the war and it adds a little mystery while still hold your attention. You know America will enter the war in the next few months, but not exactly when. This is versus the strictly historic mode in which you are almost in a countdown.

One thing I wanted in a game of this type was wide political powers. Unfortunately this is mostly available only in free mode, but even in historical modes there is some wiggle room. I remember in Churchill's History of the Second World War that he wanted American troops to be stationed in Northern Ireland, prior to America's entry to the war. In my last game, I immediately gave Belfast to the Americans at the outset. Just the fact of all of Ireland being neutral really changed the way some of the later events played out.

You can choose to start in 1936, and therefore build up to war / decide when you want to come in, or start in 1940, with the end of the Phony War and before the fall of Francel. Obviously if you pick 1936, and a historical mode, you will be waiting a long time for action unless you picked the Czechs to play as. Likewise, a 1940 historical game as the Republic of Ireland or so on won't be very exciting, although I think it is great you can select that if you wish.

My biggest complaint is that the AI of rival and allied nations seems horrible. They never seem to attack, no matter how strongly you urge them, and they will give you every resource they have if you ask them for it. Therefore alliances are worth nothing but what they can give you. Also, some of the stats are a bit up the left. For instance, a British crusier tank an an Italian tank are considered to be at roughly equal strength, whereas I don't think many historians hold this view. Likewise, the strength of the Italian navy is incredibly exagerrated, making war in North Africa even harder than it actually was.

The breakdown of any real feeling of alliance (you are told at the start you are allied with the Canadians, but in all the games I've played so far, no troops have ever come from there and I cannot order them to do so) is a black mark against the title but generally, what a lot of fun! I remember seeing my friends dad play Civ 1 on his computer as a youngster and think "How boring". Little did I know, eh?

If you know any other strategy / war games with a WWII setting that might be my cup of tea, please let me know. I am interested in War Leaders, but it seems to put too much emphasis on RTS battles.

If you know any other strategy / war games with a WWII setting that might be my cup of tea, please let me know. I am interested in War Leaders, but it seems to put too much emphasis on RTS battles.

Not played them myself but the Hearts Of Iron games are very highly rated - Hearts Of Iron III is the latest one.

This is the first Civ game I've ever played. I lost five fucking hours to the tutorial, within about half-an-hour it'd popped up the message "Now you're ready to play the game", but I kept going and going.

I lost all yesterday to it. And probably the next few days as well. I'm just fucking grateful I picked it up when I had so little on.