Gamecube Memories

Scorpio

I'm guessing now is as good a time as any for this topic as the sytem is now offically a second class citizen.

I've got over forty games for the little purple monster and generally had a really good time with most stuff however looking back I it'll always be remebered as the arcadey thrills machine for a few titles like Bluestorm, 1080 Avalanche, the second Burnout (still the best pure racer in the series and reminds me so much of my old 16 bit stuff for some reason) must be that split screen two player option, plus a scattering of Nintendo titles, Animal Crossing's insane exploits, Pikmin's 40 day find the spaceship parts treasure hunt, failing to attain any sort of competency at Smash Bros and being a bit let down by the Mario and Zelda offereings.

If I had to nominate one game on the Cube above all else to playy I'd still go with either Pikmin or one of Bluestorm or Avalanche for pure unadulterated arcade fun with Prime rummaging around as about the only long haul game worth investing in. Battalion Wars has proved to be incredibly fun as well and I only picked that up on the cheap a few months ago. There really isn't that many unknown or rare titles for this sytem as far as I know which is a shame as pretty much everyone will own the same set of games I bet.

Oh I forgot Super Monkey Ball! :lol:

The Gamecube was the most disapointing console I have ever owned. Mario & Zelda were disapointing, there were huge gaps in releases and then in 2004 it was comming to the end of its life...

Resident Evil 4 was released. To this day one of the most action packed and hair raising games I have ever had the pleasure to play, just brilliant.

Apart from that I loved Animal Crossing and although there are so many problems with it I love the atmosphere in Metroid Prime. Phendora Drifts. :huh:

I love my GameCube.

I bought it on launch day with Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader and ISS2. It was the first console that I really "got into", with the majority of my games-playing over the preceeding years taking place on PC, Amiga, C64, etc.

During the time I've owned my Cube, I've also owned an XBox, Dreamcast and PS2. They've all been sold or traded but the Cube has been constant. Not once have I considered getting rid of it and even now it sits alongside my Wii and gets regular use. Yes, I know I can play Cube titles on my Wii but I just can't seem to bring myself to pack it away!

There are a lot of fantastic exclusive titles. Yes, it never had a software library the size of the XBox or PS2. Yes, a lot of "multi-format" titles didn't seem to include the Cube. Yes, it did receive a lot of shoddy PS2 ports.

But I still love it.

Cheers,

Ryan

I actually got a little snap of excitement when i bought my GC, albeit late from Uzion. I don't have a great collection but the fact i could play F-zero GX, Sunshine, RE4 and SW RL made it worthwhile to me.

I actually sold my Dreamcast over it because its such a nice lil' thing. The intro music is lovely as well.

Christmas Day, 2004... I was NOT disappointed with Super Mario Sunshine, the cave sections are superb 3D platforming.

Nintendo made a GAMES CONSOLE, not a multimedia entertainment centre or a psuedo-PC in an ugly green box.

I also got one for christmas from my (then) girlfriend with 007 nightfire (she had an appallign taste in games obviously). since then I had some corkers - But best mention goes to Metroid Prime, which has been by far one of the best FPSs (with the strangest, yet loveable control systems ever).

Surely not! I had lots of fun with my gamecube, was the first console I bought since the saturn, joined the GC race when it went down to £70 with Mario Sunshine, and though I didn't like Sunshine, I loved RE4, F-Zero GX, Smash Bros, Tales of Symphonia, PSO 1&2, PSO3, all the Sonic compilations, Mario Kart DD, the Resi remake, and many many others.

One of my fave consoles of all time, tell the truth! Pity the good games are so expensive :(

~~GV

For me F Zero GX is the best game on the system by some margin. I simply love the game and I'm still compulsively playing it to this day. I relish the fact that there are 30 plus vehicles all with unique handling and quirks, and that they're actually interesting to drive unilke dull realistic racers. I spend countless hours trying to win all the master cups, a mighty challange but well worth it for the extra tracks. I'm not touching a wii until they bring out another F Zero, hopefully without gimmicky controls.

The rest of the 1st party Nintendo games really left me cold. I can't belive how dull Animal Crossing was. The Mario and Zelda games were also a bit meh. Metroid Prime was very polished but I found the navigation really irritating.

Other than F Zero the Capcom releases were all fantastic: RE4, PN03, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7. They pretty much kept the system afloat imo.

got around 100 games for the gamecube, split mostly between US and Japanese games

smashing machine with some terrific games and as usual some god awful stuff

RE4 took alot of my time, as did metal gear solid and Metroid Prime

i've got MP2 sitting on my shelf, but i've never played it - might be time to crack it open

The GC is probably my second favourite (non-portable) console ever. First being the Megadrive.

I have a GC, Xbox and a PS2, and the GC probably got 100 times more play time than the other two combined.

And yes, it's too soon. Put this thread into hibernation until 2012.

Not sure how I feel about the Cube, really. Bought at launch with several pads and a few games, and I've still got it now. I loved Aggressive Inline and Animal Crossing, and there were some genuinely original games in there (liked Killer 7 and Viewtiful Joe). These days though, I can't think of any reason to go back to it. The Dreamcast has much more to offer me. Maybe it's just because I dislike most of the Nintendo IP (don't mind Mario, but Metroid Prime was awful, and Zelda wasn't offering much entertainment for me either). In fact, Nintendo's reliance on it's IP (and re-churning out old games) made me sell the DS after a couple of months and vow never to buy a Wii. I suspect the Cube is the first and last Nintendo console I'll ever own.

My first import experience was the cube.

Coughed up about £300 for a switched jap/us one with lugis mansion and star wars with it from Goblin games (remember them?!). Then I choked when the launch price of the uk one was announced at £129 :)

Still had some fantastic games, rip little cube.

the cube was for my money perhaps the nicest machine of the last gen

I loved the design and to be honest it had a LOT of untapped power that would have given the xbox a run for its money.

If more third parties had been on board things would have been a LOT different.

Plus the gundam games on it were great.

get out

Nintendo for me is trusted for bringing great updates of their franchises

I thought Mario Sunshine was appalling

Windwaker was ok, but didn't live up to previous games, sailing yay :)

Mario Kart DD was bad, compare it to the SNES original and its 1/10th as good

Resi 4, I didn't play (until now I've got the wii version), fantastic game that came too late

the new franchises were good, but hardly fantastic

for me it felt like Ninty really were in a low, thank god they did something fresh with the wii

Nintendo for me is trusted for bringing great updates of their franchises

Windwaker was ok, but didn't live up to previous games, sailing yay :)

Mario Kart DD was bad, compare it to the SNES original and its 1/10th as good

Resi 4, I didn't play (until now I've got the wii version), fantastic game that came too late

the new franchises were good, but hardly fantastic

for me it felt like Ninty really were in a low, thank god they did something fresh with the wii

no way, sunshine was a great game, not as good as mario 64 but still a damn good game, the problem with both GC zelda and mario was that thanks to the N64 predecessors they had their work cut out for them to meet peoples expectations. If there was no mario 64 or Ocarina of time everyone would be saying how great sunshine and wind waker are. And double dash was a kick ass game also, much better than mariokart 64 and as usual great in multiplayer

The Gamecube did better than the Dreamcast and Saturn.

and i can see the Wii going the same way in the future.

The Wii has *already* outsold the GC though, hasn't it? And it's been out less than a year.

stick to the DS Nintendo. It works.

They *are* sticking to it, by designing the Wii in the way they have done. Don't you see?

I absolutely love my Gamecube, some of my fondest gaming memories were had playing it, although there were long periods of time it has been left untouched.

I bought one when the Zelda Collection disc was being given away with the consoles, along with a copy of Wind Waker and had myself a zelda marathon in the run up to christmas. This was my first Nintendo home console, so the N64 Zeldas had passed me by, although I had completed all the 2d iterations of Zelda (except the NES and the CD-i games, but who's counting those?). It was amazing playing through Ocarina, Majora's Mask and Wind Waker in order. I wasn't disappointed by Wind Waker at all. I thought, although short and perhaps unfinished, it still oozed charm, and controlling Link felt sublime after the slightly clunky N64 controls.

I really enjoyed Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime as big name releases but it was great to be able to play much vaunted Dreamcast games Skies of Arcadia and Ikaruga on the console as well.

I still have my GC at my flat at university and still regularly play Smash Bros and Mario Kar DD with my flatmates.

And oh man... the controller! So comfortable!

:)

The cube was such a great experience in gaming for me. Myself and a mate had both decided it would need to be imported - as at the time it wasn't even clear if it was going to be released in the UK. He'd managed to order it directly from a retailer in the US on launch day, and waited for me to go round and see it before he unpacked it.

Some sensations just can't be re-created, and the excitement we got from plugging it all in and then seeing Star Wars: Rogue Leader boot up and start was something very special.

I picked up my Jap/US switched machine from LikSang and started progressing through a steady stream of games. Very happy memories of Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Beyond Good and Evil, Donkey Konga, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, RE, RE0 and RE4.

I'd agree that Sunshine wasn't anything near Mario 64, but was still a cracking game overall. Zelda as well, yep - it dipped in the middle, but the opening and closing acts were outstanding, and I still can't get over how amazing it looks. When everything else has dated graphically, Wind Waker will still look absolutely stunning.

I have major love for my Gamecube, I'm rather sad that its packed away now because of the Wii. So the backwards compatibility was both a blessing and a curse.

I bought my Gamecube fairly early on, despite being a rather late Nintendo starter (I grew up with a Mega Drive instead of a SNES and a Dreamcast instead of an N64) For me it was the definative console of the last generation. In truth, I had a lot of catching up to do, and the Gamecube was a fantastic opportunity for me to do so.

Eternal Darkness, Phantasy Star Online, Animal Crossing, and Ikaruga among others, are among some of my favourite gaming experiences ever. The Gamecube never failed to entertain me. It had a wealth of games that I still enjoy discovering, and its given me many happy gaming memories and experiences.

And no controller feels better in my hands than a Gamecube pad.

I got mine when Zelda was released - got the silver version.

Zelda was just lovely; if the TP look was a reaction to the morons who voiced their disapproval of the 'cartoony' feel, more fools Ninty - hope Phantom Hourglass does the business to prove them wrong.

A whole bunch of great games developed for the little box, although a few got ported to the PS2 (Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe, Killer 7) - but RE4 on the GC or the PS2? No contest.

I don't think of it as fondly as I do my DC, but Zelda TWW, Paper Mario:TTYD, Metroid Primes, Ikaruga - lovely games.

Ditto - Here play the same level over and over and over and over and fuckn...... etc. Nintendo could hang a dump in a box and it would be loved the world over. It's pretty much put me off all future 3d mario games.