IGNORED

2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

Day of Chaos is shaping up well. Especially the current prog. However there's something I'd like to see inserted into the plot as well. Back at the time of the original Apocalypse War 2000AD was a comic for kids. A very good comic for kids but still very black and white (Pun intended). You had good guys and bad guys. There wasn't a great deal of inbetween. So Dredd has always had the argument of "You started it" every time someone from the Sov block strikes back. As the comic has evolved over time we've seen all the shades of grey slowly filled in and a more realistic (I'll use the word) view of the geopolicital situation has emerged. All the Megacities (Sovs, Brit Cit, Sino etc) have done their share of bad things. We've seen Megacity 1 depose governments to get a favourable trade deal and other unsavoury things. The Sov block are blunt and aggressive. MC1 tends to work under the radar. Black ops and suchlike.

So what I'd like to see is Dredd's defense nullified. What if the Apocalypse War was actually retaliation for something MC1 did? What if the "good" guys started it? I'd like to see how Dredd reacts to that. I'd also like to see how Dredd reacts to Orlok finding out. Whatever MC1 did it would have to be nasty. Some really bad shit but something that also fits the MC1 style of covert.

I'd also like to be able to buy the latest prog on my iPad the same day it comes out in the shops please. Retina high-rez would be ace :)

The minute they get that shit up on Comixology, etc the reader numbers should rocket. You never know what fees are payable though, maybe it's not viable for them?

I'm a few progs behind, glad to hear that Day of Chaos is still going strong :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken to reading Dredd in WHSmiths on a Wednesday (and moving it to a more prominent place-do your bit for thrill power), and then downloading on a Friday. Though an automatic digital iPad sub would be nice.

I did come back to 2000ad as the Dark Judges teasers were so effective. TBH though the jumping on point was so ridiculously handled (Dark Judges return! Come back to 2000ad! You'll return to a number of stories half way through, no recaps, and a Dredd story that was a year in, had a non-effective return bearing in mind the build up and popped my enthusiasm like a child's balloon hitting Judge Fears helmet fripperies.

WHat they should have done was started a couple of new stories for that issue, assuming that people would be enticed back by the very well done teaser images, and started Chaos Day itself in that issue but hey ho. Done dusted and less worry for me to keep up with one more thing.

But Day of Chaos sounds like it's been good although I'm a smidge confused: It was a year long build up and Chaos Day itself lasted two progs? The big change at the end is that half the population has been wiped out? It was good wasn't it and not just Zac Snyder's retelling of Apocalypse War?

• 5 weeks later...

PS - signed up for the three-month subscription for £20.99. This is pretty handy for me, I don't often get time to go to WH Smiths, which is one of the few chains that sell 200AD. I've been buying it every couple of weeks because of this.

For that I also got access to back issues going three months back - so now I can read the ending of Chaos Day! (missed that one).

Krioquai - tell your friends it's a lovely app, but if they know anyone at Rebellion, tell them to get 2000AD and The Meg on sale in more places like supermarkets etc! :)

It's an issue with Newsstand apps sadly. You can't just put out your mag and have it appear instantly. Apple have to activate it for you. I read SFX on my iPad and it often doesn't appear until the afternoon. Still I'd have expected 2000ad to have appeared sooner than it did. Perhaps just launch day teething troubles.

• 4 weeks later...

I've started reading again with the issue grabbed above. (drawn in by the movie hype) previously I read from prog 659 up to some time in 1996.

For a moment, because of the apocalypse war art, I thought the whole dredd stripwould be ezquerra, but it was still pretty good, I do think they've slightly mistimed things with the prog on shelves for the movie (and with the big photo of urban) is all ending stories.

The new one yesterday (1800) with the new stories starting is pretty good.

Prog 1800 is out - and it's all new stories starting this issue. ABC Warriors are back too.

This Month's Meg is a movie tie-in issue, with a prequel graphic novel about the origins of Ma-Ma. Looks good but the price has crept up to £5.99...

Think it's out next week?

If I'm after the physical copy, can I get it anywhere else than Smiths? My local newsagent said "if it's not on the shelf, we can't get it in", and for me to get to a Smiths is a 20 mile round trip + parking. I'd just like to try it out again after seeing the movie, and don't want to commit to a years subscription :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...