IGNORED

2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

I agree, didn't it start off as a separate special a couple of years ago? It would have been better to stick with that although I suspect I'd not have bought any after the first, and presumably the prospect of lots of their other subscribers doing the same is why they played it safe instead.

Anyway, two things: The Out is just wonderful, and I've never been so underwhelmed by an apocalyptic Dredd story. We're obviously heading for a big red reset button because there's no way they're going to delegate

Spoiler

killing Anderson

to anyone other than Wagner and/or Grant. Dredd has always been good at sticking with the long term consequences of devastating events but this feels more like a Marvel or DC comic where the main cast will be miraculously resurrected in time for the next big story.

Having said that, I'll be impressed if they've fooled me and these events stick. But I don't think they will.

On 19/08/2020 at 21:24, theredstar said:

Reminder that today is the final day of this (until 7pm)

21 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Well, that was one of the worst Dredd stories I've ever read. The ending didn't make a lot of sense and then it ended with a button being pressed and everyone can go home for a nice cup of tea. 

Or something. 

Rubbish./10

Completely agree. Worst mega epic since Inferno. Did Dredd really punch Death and kill him. Utter bobbins.

Didn’t think much of Flint’s artwork either, and I normally love his stuff.

The opening Dredd story in this month’s Meg is much better.

• 2 months later...

Prog 2211.

The return of death World. 

I've never liked this from the start. I think the art is dull, muddy, confusing, childish and just a bit too random. The story doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me and just seems to be a exercise in joining up point A to point B in the most perfunctory way possible. I hate it really. 

So this episode with the pregnant mother getting to the hospital was the low water mark of utter shitness. I really, really hated this, it's just nasty and ugly for the sake of it. There's no really merit to it for me. 

How can they continue with this shit. Who actually likes it? 

This is going to be a bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else remembers an ancient Dress story that has popped into my head. It was one of my favourites when I was younger, and I'd like to try to track it down to re-read it.

I think it appeared in a special rather than a regular prog, so it might not have been collected in the case files.

The story, from what I remember, involves Dredd interrogating a juve. They know he's done something wrong, but aren't sure what. After some back and forth, the Judges work out he's been trespassing in someone's garden. That's right - a garden in Mega City One. Someone has created this beautiful walled-off garden, and this juve happened to find it, and has been heading there regularly to lie in the grass and commune with nature. It's the only place he can be happy. It turns out that the owners were fully aware of him, and didn't mind him visiting. Of course, the Judges lock him up anyway.

It's one of those classic Dredd stories with zero action, that just concentrate on the characters and what the world of Mega City One us like to live in. 

Does anyone else remember this story and know where I could find it?  I feel like it was called the secret garden or something, but googling that doesn't find any results.

Thanks for the use of your brains, and apologies if I send anyone off on a futile search.

On 12/12/2020 at 14:00, Ste Pickford said:

I think the whole prog has been in a bit of a dip lately.  It all feels a bit tired and formulaic, kinda going through the motions*.  Feels like it needs a bit of a shake up, or some big new ideas.

Although maybe that's just me?

* although the Fiends story was great.

I can't comment on the last few months, but I definitely felt this was the case in the months leading up to that*, which is why I've got everything since the last jumping-on prog (2200) sitting unread waiting for me to dive back in. I'll plough through them over Christmas but if they don't grab me it might be time to cancel my sub again. I already cancelled the Meg a while ago because I realised I was only buying it for Lawless, which I always buy as graphic novels when they come out anyway.

*Apart from The Out, which was brilliant, obviously.

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

This is going to be a bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if anyone else remembers an ancient Dress story that has popped into my head. It was one of my favourites when I was younger, and I'd like to try to track it down to re-read it.

I think it appeared in a special rather than a regular prog, so it might not have been collected in the case files.

The story, from what I remember, involves Dredd interrogating a juve. They know he's done something wrong, but aren't sure what. After some back and forth, the Judges work out he's been trespassing in someone's garden. That's right - a garden in Mega City One. Someone has created this beautiful walled-off garden, and this juve happened to find it, and has been heading there regularly to lie in the grass and commune with nature. It's the only place he can be happy. It turns out that the owners were fully aware of him, and didn't mind him visiting. Of course, the Judges lock him up anyway.

It's one of those classic Dredd stories with zero action, that just concentrate on the characters and what the world of Mega City One us like to live in. 

Does anyone else remember this story and know where I could find it?  I feel like it was called the secret garden or something, but googling that doesn't find any results.

Thanks for the use of your brains, and apologies if I send anyone off on a futile search.

"Beyond the wall?" 

RCO264-1.jpg?resize=768,1065&ssl=1

Yes! That's the one! Thanks, @RipePlums

I wish I had more than just one pos to give.

It's strange how memory works, in my mind it was in full colour, kind of pastel colours.  It was in a special - the 1986 sci-fi special to be exact. I tracked that down from your post, and seeing an image of the cover gave me a real Proustian rush. If it was 1986, it must have been one of the first Dredd stories I ever read, possibly the first. It's collected in volume 2 of the Restricted Files, so I'll be ordering that.  :)

There's a Misty winter special out at the moment from Rebellion, which I finally got round to reading at the weekend.

There are only two stories, and I really enjoyed the first one a lot.

One of the things I liked about it was that it was a one-off story, with and ending, but was over 30 pages long.  The format worked really well, with plenty of room for the story to breathe, get to know the characters, etc., and it made me realise that I pretty much never come across comics in that format.

I don't read masses of new comics, so might be missing stuff that works like this, but generally the comics I come across are either ongoing stories with vast page counts, or shorts one-offs (Future Shocks, etc.) of just 5 or 6 pages.  These are both fine, but it felt really refreshing to read a comic that was longer, but with an ending.

• 3 months later...

Not being in work for the last 3 months has ment not picking up 2000 AD from the corner shop.  As restrictions have eased I popped over to the shop yesterday to collect 10 issues and 2 judge dredd issues.

And you know what, up until Thistlebone I didn't miss a thing.

Judge Dredd carry on up the the floating rocks, looked like a first year art project, i had no idea what was going on and for a bunch of floating rocks it has no grand vistas or sense of scale to it. It looked like a muddy room mostly.

I loved the Flints art work in Proteus -Vex first time around, Jake Lynch is very much a tesco value alternative. so little imagination.

Durham Red just seems to endlessly drag on and on. Again , panle after panel with no detail just blank walls and colour fade backgrounds. its dull

And then there's yet another Slain strip ... and oh look it's Pat Mills making sure we all know how awful the english are or the "Brutain" as we are now. the art style is fine, if a little soulless and meh. lots of hues of blood red and brown. Each episode appeared to be about getting to the full page splatter fest as fast a possible with the least amount of humour possible. And as for dragging up Slough Feg as a bad guy yet again, let him go for the love of god.  This character has been trading on Bisleys art for 20 years now. Mills hasn't had an original story idea since "the horned God"

The fact that they didn;t show the last episode because the artist had missed the deadline due to Covid reasons, didn't even register with me. Looking in the issues to check stuff just now i realised the last episode isn't there. 

I was really looking forward to catching up, but it was all so unforgettable

Thank god for the return Thisltebone. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finding the 2000AD online store pretty frustrating. The limited editioning of stuff means it’s hard to get what I’d like.

Would love to get the Third World War books, but only Volume 2’s available. Would love to get the Nemesis Early and Later Heresies, but all sold out with no indication of whether they’ll ever be back. And if not, why are they on the store? Likewise Judge Dredd: Control hardback looks amazing, but the story that preceded it, The Small House, is nowhere to be seen.

It probably makes financial sense to do this, but it’s really annoying.

8 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Finding the 2000AD online store pretty frustrating. The limited editioning of of stuff means it’s hard to get what I’d like.

Would love to get the Third World War books, but only Volume 2’s available. Would love to get the Nemesis Early and Later Heresies, but all sold out with no indication of whether they’ll ever be back. And if not, why are they on the store? Likewise Judge Dredd: Control hardback looks amazing, but the story that preceded it, The Small House, is nowhere to be seen.

It probably makes financial sense to do this, but it’s really annoying.

Yeah, I feel the same.  With the back catalogue of British comics they've bought, I expected to see a growing library of editions of classic british strips permanently available.  While they've doing a good job of putting out editions of these classics, the fact that they don't remain available seems to undermine the whole proposition.

I've decided I wanted to read The Trigan Empire, and the Rebellion editions look nice, but they only have volume 2 available.  Volume 3 out later this year, volume 1 sold out.  Seems a bit useless if you can't browse a collection of classic old comics and buy them at your pleasure.  (I ended getting vol 1 and 2 from ebay instead.)

13 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Yeah, I feel the same.  With the back catalogue of British comics they've bought, I expected to see a growing library of editions of classic british strips permanently available.  While they've doing a good job of putting out editions of these classics, the fact that they don't remain available seems to undermine the whole proposition.

I've decided I wanted to read The Trigan Empire, and the Rebellion editions look nice, but they only have volume 2 available.  Volume 3 out later this year, volume 1 sold out.  Seems a bit useless if you can't browse a collection of classic old comics and buy them at your pleasure.  (I ended getting vol 1 and 2 from ebay instead.)

It does feel they need a new approach to how they handle their vast library. At the moment I’m trying to read a few recommended Dredd stories, but hunting down used individual graphic novels is a pain, also expensive. The digital versions aren’t optimised well for readers either, and some just look terribly pixelated.

In the absence of being able to keep this stuff in print, the entire back catalogue is screaming out for a Marvel Unlimited style service so we can access everything from past decades easily.

• 1 month later...

I reread Days of Chaos a week or so ago. It's big and high stakes but I found it very unfocused. They had so much going on that they couldn't give any of it the time it deserved. And it kinda fizzles out at the end. It did lead to some cracking stuff afterwards though.

55 minutes ago, Flub said:

I reread Days of Chaos a week or so ago. It's big and high stakes but I found it very unfocused. They had so much going on that they couldn't give any of it the time it deserved. And it kinda fizzles out at the end. It did lead to some cracking stuff afterwards though.

What was that?

Just now, womblingfree said:

What was that?

Nothing major. Just some good solid tales about the repercussions of losing most of the population and the majority of judges. Like the time Texas city tried to take over.

The 2000ad store is still annoying me no end. Had Nemesis: The Later Heresies on order but it was cancelled due to ‘stock-discrepancies’.

The Stainless Steel Rat exclusive has sold out, despite not even releasing until August.   Etc, etc..

Managed to order the web exclusive Judge Dredd: Control hardback, but that was after a Google search for ‘2000ad exclusive hardbacks’. It’s not even listed on their Graphic Novel section anymore. Let’s see if that’s a stock discrepancy too. Not even sure if it has the same content as the standard paperback as it doesn’t say, or give a page-count.

Wish they would at least email when new stuff was coming to the store. The whole thing seems to be run from someones kitchen.

The iOS app is really buggy as well. It often just logs me out between sessions and often just logging back in won't return my subscriptions. I need to kill the app and relaunch it for that. Then there was one week where randomly my issues wouldn't download (Just gave an error). Tried again the week after and it was fine.

I feel a bit disappointed with how Rebellion are handling the back catalogue / Treasury of British Comics stuff they have the rights to (not so much the 2000ad reprints, which are fine).

Loads of this stuff has been unavailable for years, so I was really excited about them putting out nice editions of classic British comics, maybe allowing me to build a lovely library of stuff I remember, stuff I missed, and stuff I was too young for.

What I imagined was, eventually, a big range of books available of all the great British comics that they own the rights to.  They're sort of doing that in theory, but so much of their stuff soon becomes unavailable again that it feels like we're back to square one with a lot of old strips.  Once again, they can't be bought except second hand at high prices for out of print editions - exactly the same situation those strips were in before Rebellion bought them.

I read that Masters of British Comics book at Christmas and it inspired me to track down a lot of old comics.  I really want to read all of The Trigan Empire, and Rebellion are putting out a new volume every year (vol 3 in July), which is fine, but they only do very limited hardback editions, that sell out really quickly.

I would absolutely love a hardback set of Trigan Empire, but I missed the first two, so that's impossible for me now.  They only sell the softcover versions.  I don't want to get the limited edition volume 3 hardback, as that won't go with my vol1 and vol2 softcovers.

It's the same story with various Ken Reid volumes they've released - hardcovers are limited editions at release time only.  Some of the other reprints go out of print entirely not long after release.

Basically it's impossible to ever buy a hardback set of any multivolume work in one go.  It's only possible to have a hardback set if you're constantly keeping track of new releases and buying each edition on release over several years.

I know that the business of book publishing isn't easy, and maintaining physical stock levels must be difficult, especially for niche products like this, but I think the business model of limited-edition hardbacks at release time is the wrong one for archive / library material like this.  Even if you have to put orders in for second / third printings of hardback editions, and they only do a print run if they get enough orders, that would work for me.

• 1 month later...