IGNORED

2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

Humble did a 2000ad one about a year ago with a lot of the same books.  Just done a quick check and the 33 item bundle is all stuff that wasn't in the last bundle, but the 54 item bundle adds a load of stuff that was in the last bundle.

So if you bought the one last year, you only need to get the 33 item bundle.  I think the Best of Future Shocks would be the only one you miss.

12 hours ago, hub2 said:

What a great deal! I caved and bought it but I'm afraid I need a top 5 of which to tackle first. Any tips would be gratefully received!

Zenith

Halo Jones

Literally anything with Judge Dredd in the title

The Future Shocks volume

Scarlet Traces

34 minutes ago, theredstar said:

After an initial read I can wholeheartedly recommend Insurrection and Mechanismo.

Both feature some lovely McNeill artwork.

And after you’ve read Insurrection (both series) move on to its sequel, Lawless, which is one of the best stories ever set in the Dredd universe.

Agreed, but a bit of a spoiler to say it’s linked to Insurrection.  

Winslade’s art is amazing, proper lovely, black and white line work. As far as I’m aware his stuff never comes up for sale, which is a shame, as I’d love some original Lawless pages.

1 hour ago, theredstar said:

Agreed, but a bit of a spoiler to say it’s linked to Insurrection.  

Winslade’s art is amazing, proper lovely, black and white line work. As far as I’m aware his stuff never comes up for sale, which is a shame, as I’d love some original Lawless pages.

I remember him doing Goddess with Garth Ennis in the 90's. Think I have it all in the attic somewhere. 

On 28/07/2021 at 22:25, hub2 said:

What a great deal! I caved and bought it but I'm afraid I need a top 5 of which to tackle first. Any tips would be gratefully received!

Bit late on this but apart from echoing the recommendations already, "2000AD's Greatest" the 40th Anniversary book of single issue stories chosen by 2000AD writers and artists is fucking brilliant. 

I really like Kingdom.

I really like Gene The Hackman, I thought it was a really enjoyable story with some great characters.

Not only that, but I like the idea of all these comic bundles, but I look back at all I've brought and then remember the fact it's such a ball ache (or was) to get them over to my iPad Pro and read them as easy as I can compare with something as simple as Comixology is!

It puts me off wasting more money on bundles I will never read. 

Edited by Arn X Treme
Stupid laggy connection on my phone.

Kingdom is a great story. Gene is such an amazing character.

What I do with all these comic bundles is use YacReader Library on my PC and Yacreader for iOS to read them. You create a comics folder in Windows and the Library app can read that and present them all in a nice interface. As a bonus you can turn it into a server that the iOS app can connect to, browse and download from.

image.thumb.png.6720443aa724ac74f94754d3c00bd16f.png

Suddenly remembered about the Humble Bundle deal!

Quite a lot I read back in the day, but far more I’ve missed out and can’t remember. For £18 it really is a whole lot of good stuff for the money.

Edit:

Time for a re-read of the COmplete Case Files I reckon :D .

Although I seem to only have up to no.27...sheesh. Another 10 I haven't got yet...

I've only got up to 14, all of which I've bought and read in the last month.   Looking at the page counts I think there are at least another 40 to release to bring it up to the modern era. 

I remember Mayor Dave being a major character for some reason even though it's only two stories.

If I have a print subscription on roughly what day do we expect to receive them?

i only just started sub and last week it arrived Thursday (despatched tues)

this week allegedly dispatched Tuesday but not here yet

i only ask as on 2000ad forum prog reviews for 2245 appeared on 14th august!

3 hours ago, womblingfree said:

Are Megatropolis, Dreadnoughts and Slaine: Dragontamer any good?

All have limited edition exclusives on the 2000ad store at the moment.

I think Megatropolis is great, love the art style and story. Its an alternative universe of MC1 so the same characters,  be warned it does just sort of end without much of an end, there will be another concluding story later.

Dreadnoughts didn't work for me really. tghe art style was a bit to messy for me, but the story is ok. 

there are far better slaine stories available already. This just seemed to be yet another Pat Mills vehicle for beating the reader over the head for being english. The art is very muddy brown and murky, the story isn't all that witty and instantly forgettable. 

I read 2000AD til late 80s early 90s (I have read from prog 1 previously).

I bought the humble bundle to "get back upto speed" and see if I still liked 2000AD style etc.

Blimy Brink is a bit good isn't it. And the 40th anniversary 2000AD had some special stories, the dredd story "Meat" was superb. Just started on Kingdom and that is a fun idea and quite a light read (just finished vol 1)

I now have a sub going forward (as above) but looking into how to catch up on the missing 30 yrs! So mulling it over, I have the Dredd Case FIles upto 10 (all of which I read previously) and Stronyium Dog 1-3 and Robohunter 1&2 (a soft spot for those!) - I could continue with various case files but I know I'd be missing other stuff. Also aweare I have humble bundle to work through but I know that even if I bought all the case files and all the graphic novels I'd still be "missing out" (and be a lot poorer!).

So I wondered about trying to catch up via back issues, maybe from ebay joblots. Is that the best way or is there a way to experience old 2000AD from 1993 ish onwards without piling up old comics :D

What are you guys using to view the digital versions? I have CDisplayEx on my phone, but it is a bit crummy having to pan and zoom all the time and you cannot see 'the whole picture' often. (it is pretty good for how it works though!)

I guess some sort of iPad, but I am living in an android world... is there something that works decently without costing the earth?

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 inch but that's a little extreme for most people. There are plenty of 10 inch Samsung tablets that would do the trick for you. It's not a device intensive process. I used to read them on a 10 inch Samsung that cost less than 150 quid.

4 hours ago, Flub said:

I use an iPad Pro 12.9 inch but that's a little extreme for most people. There are plenty of 10 inch Samsung tablets that would do the trick for you. It's not a device intensive process. I used to read them on a 10 inch Samsung that cost less than 150 quid.

I have to say I've always used a 10'' ipad for reading them, but I always think the larger size would pretty much be perfect for my aging eyes. I keep on getting tempted by picking up a refurbed pro, but I chicken out each time as it would literally be the only reason I'd buy the bloody thing ;)