IGNORED

2000AD & The Meg

Stilly

• 2 months later...

This is a bit of a weird post, sorry. What do all of you subscribers to the prog think about the ‘Regened’ all ages issues? They are getting quite frequent, but are always their own thing - interrupting the regular stories for a week, before they pick up again in the following prog.

I don’t resent getting them in my subscription, but I am always looking forward to the next regular prog instead. I don’t actually think the ‘all ages’ tag works, because there’s no way my kids could follow the stories unless I read it to them.

Anyway I’m putting my back issues into the binders they release each year - can fit 28 issues into each one. I’ve just caught up to the period when they started publishing Regened issues. Would you include it in the binder or not? My OCD is pulling me in different directions. I would prefer the numbers to be continuous with no gaps, but in a binder of continuing stories it doesn’t make much sense to have that break in there.

As they also kind of follow each other even though the issues are months apart, I’m thinking to keep them all separate so I can introduce my son to the stories when he’s a bit more ready.

These cordex binders are quite a job to put issues in, so I don’t want to do it more than once. Help!

I applaud them for trying to bring in a younger readership, and think the stories in the regened progs are fine and some of the artwork is lovely.  It's been explained a few times why they interrupt the main prog sequence, as apparently there are difficulties in launching new titles due to the way UK magazine distribution works (don't know the exact details), so it's seems like a smart move generally to tag them into the main prog for practical / business reasons.

My only criticism is I don't really like the idea that for something to be for kids, it has to feature kids as the main characters.  I mean, I loved 2000ad when I was 7 or 8 (I know it was a different beast then to what it is today).  I'm not sure I would have fell for 2000ad at that age if it starred only junior characters - kid judge dredd, baby rogue trooper, whatever.  It would have felt like I was getting something sanitised for kids, and it wouldn't have appealed to me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm really struggling to justify continuing to buy 2000AD. 

All the stories are dire, the art is bland and derivative or muddy and confusing. 

The last good original story was the first book (how I hate that expression) of "the out" the second book was long and rambling and just sort of ended with a lame "Abba playlist saved the day" nonsense. 

Scarlet traces petered out into a "lets all jut get along ok" boring plot devise to set up "the real bad guys this time TM". 

The Order is just dire and confusing.

Kingmaker thinks its better than it is.

The first Proteus Vex was brilliant. now its just dull and has none of the wit that made it great. Now its just another space fight travel blah blah blah aliens story.

Where have all the great stories and artist gone? How the bloody hell does the order keep getting recommissioned. Deadworld is still an incomprehensible dirge. And Judge Dredd has gone form "the small house" to "the musical"

Why am I bothering to buy it still ?

Are old copies of 2000AD, presumably from the 80s worth anything to anyone? 

My father in law died recently and the missus found a stack of them the other day while clearing out stuff from the house. They’ll have belonged to her brothers but assuming they don’t want them are they worth doing anything with or should they just be tipped? 

They go for a quid or two each on ebay, a bit more for the 1970s ones, and obviously very early ones like #1, 2, 3, etc., plus a few random ones (#70 or so there was a banned issue, #150-#152 or so because of Judge Death) go for a fair bit more.

If you can't be arsed ebaying them, at least give them to a charity shop - someone will enjoy them.

I'm missing #140 and #150 and some in the 50s, so let me know if you have them!

Assuming her brothers don’t want them I’ll get them home and create a list of what there is, the condition and then stick it up here. 

That way if anyone here wants any they can have them for the postage price. 

@Ste Pickford has first dibs on the ones mentioned if they’re there. 

On 03/02/2022 at 15:16, Sidewaysbob said:

All the stories are dire, the art is bland and derivative or muddy and confusing. 

The last good original story was the first book (how I hate that expression) of "the out" the second book was long and rambling and just sort of ended with a lame "Abba playlist saved the day" nonsense. 

Scarlet traces petered out into a "lets all jut get along ok" boring plot devise to set up "the real bad guys this time TM". 

The first Proteus Vex was brilliant. now its just dull and has none of the wit that made it great. Now its just another space fight travel blah blah blah aliens story.

Where have all the great stories and artist gone? How the bloody hell does the order keep getting recommissioned. Deadworld is still an incomprehensible dirge. And Judge Dredd has gone form "the small house" to "the musical"

I’d agree it’s going through a poorish patch, but that’s always a possibility with portmanteau comics. There are times when every strip is great, times when a few are and times like now.  

Agree with Ste that Dredd the musical was great. Love sensitive Klegg.

Disagree about the quality of the art though. Henry Flint and Chris Weston are both great. Colin McNeill is still active, and whilst I don’t think the colouring sometimes helps his art, it’s still good stuff. You can buy original pages from him relatively cheaply, and it’s really interesting to see how his style has changed. I think he’s really under appreciated. Tom Foster’s stuff, although rare is consistently brilliant. D’israeli is interesting and whilst I’m not a huge fan of The Out, the art is fine.

Sad news. Ian Kennedy passed away over the weekend. He was 89.

Not massively prolific in the prog, and might be more familiar from Commando covers. He was a brilliant artist for planes.  But when 2000AD met Messerschmitts, then he was fucking brilliant.

image.thumb.jpeg.4b95b93a792bc96bd5dbfe61f0d26887.jpeg

4 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Can't see anything about this anywhere. Where did you here it? 

Saw a few tweets from UK comic people this morning.  Just did a search, and found this tweet:

So it seems like it was a mistake.  Sorry for adding to the confusion. 

I met him at the 40th Anniversary and positively gushed about his work. Midnight Surfer! I think he's one of the definitive Dredd artists and should be put on the level of Ezquerra, McMahon, Smith etc. He was so nice too. 

gT9op0uC_0901140856431.jpg

I have always enjoyed the surfer stories going back to that fantastic artwork posted above. The recent Dredd strip "Working girl" has a lovely angle on the surfer thing but not as keen on the artwork - The new Surfer strip in the Meg is also great. But neither have the magic touch of the artwork above.

On 03/02/2022 at 15:16, Sidewaysbob said:

I have really struggled with the latest slate of strips. Proteus Vex I have no idea what is going on , The Order is riffing on Armoured Gideon but lacks the charm of that but i do like the steampunky stuff, Kingmaker is OK but a bit pedestrian, and I loved the Out but it seemed to fizzle at the end.

But then it is the same previously - I am reading through 800-900 and there are chunks where all the strips are a bit meh and then something new appears and it picks up again. Saying that now we are moving to new strips and Saphir2 has just appeared and isn't really grabbing me. The last set before this included Dexter which was great, the earlier Out was better, Diaboliks was quite fun but the artwork didn't do anything for me and scarlet traces was a slog.

• 2 weeks later...

There’s another Humble comics collection available.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/rebellions-masters-british-comics-featuring-judge-dredd-2000-ad-treasury-british-comics-books?fbclid=IwAR3kZSHRRlb3xRnW4y2-je9R98M9UQ6ICcACbMqhQ9rtWKRmfrx3GWJcRS0

Not just 2000AD, it includes a fair bit of rebellions treasury of British comics stuff.  There’s also David Roach’s marvellous Masters of British Comic Art, and all three volumes of the Trigan Empire. Then there’s all three volumes of Charley’s War.

From the prog/Meg, there’s Cursed Earth, The Small House and Day of Chaos. Plus three volumes of Lawless, featuring Phil Winslade’s epic hand drawn artwork.

For less than £20, it’s an absolute no brainier.

6 hours ago, theredstar said:

There’s another Humble comics collection available.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/rebellions-masters-british-comics-featuring-judge-dredd-2000-ad-treasury-british-comics-books?fbclid=IwAR3kZSHRRlb3xRnW4y2-je9R98M9UQ6ICcACbMqhQ9rtWKRmfrx3GWJcRS0

Not just 2000AD, it includes a fair bit of rebellions treasury of British comics stuff.  There’s also David Roach’s marvellous Masters of British Comic Art, and all three volumes of the Trigan Empire. Then there’s all three volumes of Charley’s War.

From the prog/Meg, there’s Cursed Earth, The Small House and Day of Chaos. Plus three volumes of Lawless, featuring Phil Winslade’s epic hand drawn artwork.

For less than £20, it’s an absolute no brainier.

I got another one which I think had Dredd collections 1-5. How does this sit with that? Do you know?

Humble Bundles comics have been some of the best value entertainment for me.

12 minutes ago, DC said:

I got another one which I think had Dredd collections 1-5. How does this sit with that? Do you know?

Humble Bundles comics have been some of the best value entertainment for me.

There have been two previous Rebellion bundles. As far as I can see the only cross-over with this is Hondo City Blues, Mega City Undercover and (I think) one of the Devlin Waughs. 

This is mainly  Treasury of British Comics bundle, which wasn't included before. 

For anyone who gets this bundle, don't overlook the SMASH special (a revival of a bunch of british action heroes from the 60s that most of us probably don't remember).  The middle strip is written by Charlie Higson and it's genuinely very funny.

There's some cracking stuff in that collection! Will be picking it up soon I think! Thanks for the heads-up.

I've just been re-reading some of the Judge Anderson strips - namely the ones which Arthur Ransom illustrated...man, he's one of my absolute favourite Dredd artists for sure - such an intricate style. Helps that the stories are really decent too, mind!

• 1 month later...

I’m laid up with the billy ray which gives me ample time to listen to 2000ad @ 45 on YouTube. Schedule is here: https://2000ad.com/news/the-galaxys-greatest-full-schedule-announced/

live now on the 2000ad YouTube channel. 

I’ll definitely be watching pat mills, John wagner, the comedy one, the rpg play through and whatever else I get time for. New writers on now, rob williams, alex de campi and ales klot (who I think has done a great job with Devlin Waugh).