IGNORED

Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

We've heard it before but it might be on this time...

Take Two hints at Mafia 2 reveal later today

Friday 17-Aug-2007 10:01 AM Publisher tells us to "watch this space" as it prepares to reveal Leipzig line-up today

6 Comments

Take Two has hinted to CVG that we may well see an announcement on Mafia 2 later today, after we spoke to the publisher about a rumour circulating on the sequel's reveal at Leipzig next week.

"Watch this space", a Take Two spokesperson told us, saying that it's announcing its Games Convention line-up this afternoon.

It's been reported that a trailer for the sequel will be shown at the Games Convention in Leipzig next week, word hitting the internet that a Mafia 2 trailer has been rated by the USK, Germany's independent videogame ratings body.

Regular readers may recall that Mafia developer Illusion Softworks confirmed with us way back in 2003 that Mafia 2 was in development, but we've heard nothing on the game since. But it appears that's about to change.

Oh boy, let's hope the sequel really is announced. Stay tuned...

Mafia on the Pc was ace, I never really got into the GTA games, not being a Playstation boy, but really enjoyed the more story driven side of Mafia. Hopefully they won't ruin it.

Mafia was one of my all time favourite games. Brilliant. On the PC anyway. The console version was definitely lacking something.

I played mafia with a force feedback steering wheel and keyboard and mouse nearby too. I was really impressed by the cars handelling too. A lot of people struggled with the 'race' level but with a steering wheel it was a breeze.

Really loved this game and I'm very excited by the prospect of a sequel.

I completed the first one and really liked the twist at the end. That and half-life were two of the first games where a good story really succeeded in merging with a game (well, half-life to a lesser extent). I would like it if the next one was based in the 1960's with mustangs and saloons, but that might put it too close to the GTA series which might spoil it a bit. Anyway, im happy if they get this next one right :P

One of these days I'll get past the first proper mission.

"Oh, a motel. I'll stay outside and wait for my chums to get out."

<gunshots fire>

"Oh, it appears I need to assist them in shooting some fellows."

<gunfight ensues, after getting past an ankle-biting dog>

"Phew, that's that over. Oh, hello son. Where you going with that briefcase? I have to follow you? Fuck off."

Plus the game's opener takes forever and, for some reason, I had massive, massive framerate issues for that section of the game.

One of these days I'll get past the first proper mission.

"Oh, a motel. I'll stay outside and wait for my chums to get out."

<gunshots fire>

"Oh, it appears I need to assist them in shooting some fellows."

<gunfight ensues, after getting past an ankle-biting dog>

"Phew, that's that over. Oh, hello son. Where you going with that briefcase? I have to follow you? Fuck off."

Plus the game's opener takes forever and, for some reason, I had massive, massive framerate issues for that section of the game.

If you found that hard, you'll kill yourself when you get to the race level.

I thought it was bloody great, had some issues here and there definitely but the atmos was great, some of the levels were inspired and it looked bloody nice too.

Except the whistling noise really got on my tits, it became an injoke for all my housemates as during the time I was playing it managed to be the loudest thing in the game and everyone could hear it in the living room. I can't remember now why it happened but I could never stop it for the life of me, I think it was when you were following someone or something...

Well want to play it though, my PC is out of it for new games so hopefully there's a console version, a good one anyway. Maybe even a wii one to challenge scottcr's favourite game the Godfather

I was discussing this game in an "Under-rated games" thread and bringing up the subject that a Mafia 2, then like a day later it is hinted that Mafia 2 will be revealed. :(

I am really feeling the urge to play this game again. I've completed it before (Great ending) and started again but I think I stopped just before the mission Fairplay (i.e. the 'race') but I should definitely give this another go.

2K Games Announces Mafia 2

Highly anticipated sequel to deliver Hollywood movie style action and gameplay

New York, NY – August 21, 2007 – 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that it will publish Mafia 2, a sequel to the original Mafia title that sold more than two million copies worldwide and helped popularize the gangster genre. Featuring a deep mobster-driven narrative packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action, Mafia 2 is the sequel fans have been clamoring for. The game is being developed by Illusion Softworks, developers of the original Mafia title, for next generation consoles and Games for Windows®.

Like the original Mafia title, Mafia 2 immerses players in the mob underworld of a fictitious late 1940’s-early 1950’s scenario. Players will easily become engaged in the game’s cinematic Hollywood movie experience with strong, believable characters in a living, breathing city. By fusing high octane gunplay with white knuckle driving and an engaging narrative, Mafia 2 looks to be the industry’s most compelling Mafia title to date.

"As the original Mafia was a big success, we are excited to leverage the power of next generation console technology to create an all-new experience, while embracing the elements that resonated with the previous game’s fans,†said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “The ‘wow’ factor of Mafia 2 is definitely the benchmark-setting visual quality and action that you expect to see only in Hollywood movies.â€

For more information on Mafia 2, visit www.mafia2games.com.

About Take-Two Interactive Software

Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of interactive entertainment software games for the PC, PlayStation® game console, PlayStation®2 and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment systems, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system, Xbox® and Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment systems from Microsoft, Wii™, Nintendo GameCube™, Nintendo DS™ and Game Boy® Advance. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels Rockstar Games, 2K and 2K Sports, and Global Star Software; and distributes software, hardware and accessories in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.

Microsoft, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox Live, the Xbox logos and the Xbox Live logos are trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the U.S. and/or other countries.

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

Just a short topic-related question here. Was the console version of the first game as bad a port as all the reviews said it was? I mean, the PC game was absolutely brilliant according to most of the press, but the (Xbox) port was horrible if most of the console reviews of that time are/were to be believed...

In other words, should I bother picking up Mafia for my Xbox, or will it be a waste of time anyway?

Just a short topic-related question here. Was the console version of the first game as bad a port as all the reviews said it was? I mean, the PC game was absolutely brilliant according to most of the press, but the (Xbox) port was horrible if most of the console reviews of that time are/were to be believed...

In other words, should I bother picking up Mafia for my Xbox, or will it be a waste of time anyway?

Don't bother with the Xbox version. It was a terrible port. For one, Mafia was awkward to control on PC, let alone on consoles. I haven't seen a game with a similar combat system since.

Anyone remember the Tommy gun? Pop... pop... pop... pop... wise men didn't spray.

Indeed.

Whilst we're all in the Mafia thread... lots of people complain about how slow the cars were, the speed limits, the fact that some cars took up to ten seconds to start having failed a couple of times:

Was it only me who found all of these factors endearing and one of the many things that made him fall in love with the game?

I will never forget the green bolt they gave you in your first real mission. LET'S GO LET'S GO HIT THE ROAD *car starts* GO GO GO *car chokes* HIT IT PEDAL TO THE METAL *car slowly moves along* THE COPS ARE ON OUR TAIL *car reaches ten miles per hour*

I will never forget the green bolt they gave you in your first real mission. LET'S GO LET'S GO HIT THE ROAD *car starts* GO GO GO *car chokes* HIT IT PEDAL TO THE METAL *car slowly moves along* THE COPS ARE ON OUR TAIL *car reaches ten miles per hour*

:lol:

Unfortunatly I was unable to experience Mafia as I couldn't get it to work on my P.C, hopefully this sequel is of a similar quality as I heard purported. The graphics look gorgeous, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...