Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

Its quite amazing how much cleaner this looks over GTA IV, although i dare say GTA has more details overall - esp. in the background.

Not bad though. City seems a little small, another compromise over GTA's sprawling mass and theres a few minor graphical details i won't go into.

Its a bit like playing the Frankie and Bennie version of the Godfather.

I ain't experienced no slowdown in my time with the demo. :coffee:

Nor me, but it's the first game in which I've actually noticed screen-tearing (360). That sort of thing usually passes me by.

Huh, it was near demo breaking in the factory. (especially when the explosions kicked in) :(

But then I've had problems with both demos, the sound kept cutting out in the 360 demo and the PS3 demo had slowdown and tearing.

Finally stuck this on last night (360) having been a bit scared to check it out after reading impressions on here, especially as my 360's connected through VGA which normally makes it especially bad for tearing.

And indeed there was tearing aplenty in the house at the start. But I didn't see any at all after that, even in the factory. I stopped and just swung the camera round and couldn't see any. Colour me surprised.

It's not a remotely impressive-looking game on the 360 but there's no way this Acer lappy's going to run the PC version, I absolutely loved the setting and as soon as I got in the car I was sold. 'Rave On' followed by 'Book of Love'? Yes fucking please.

Wow, must resist urge to jump from ATI to Geforce, but that doesn't really help.

You can also use a cheapo nvidia card as a secondary dedicated physx card and keep your current ATI card as primary for that trademark ATI quality and goodness. I'm seriously considering doing this myself since I'm getting tired of all these physx games.

You can also use a cheapo nvidia card as a secondary dedicated physx card and keep your current ATI card as primary for that trademark ATI quality and goodness. I'm seriously considering doing this myself since I'm getting tired of all these physx games.

Wish I could do that, but only the one PCI-e slot, was on a budget when putting the PC together and thought will never do crossfire/SLI so no need, if only I knew. :facepalm: Keeping an eye on the 460 1GB, comes down to around £150 and I might be tempted, assuming I can get away with a 425w PSU.

I thought they'd stopped that working?

EDIT - Ahh they lifted that so it does now

Wish I could do that, but only the one PCI-e slot, was on a budget when putting the PC together and thought will never do crossfire/SLI so no need, if only I knew. :facepalm: Keeping an eye on the 460 1GB, comes down to around £150 and I might be tempted, assuming I can get away with a 425w PSU.

No way in hell youd get 2 cards on a 425w PSW mate. Running a HDD or 2, DVD drive, all the fans required, and a new'ish GPU will be taxing enough for a 5-600w PSU, id say adding a 2nd card would push it to breaking point. Ive actually got an 8800GTS sitting around doing nothing, if i had more than my 600W psu, and a mobo with 2 PCI-e slots, id definitely try this

No way in hell youd get 2 cards on a 425w PSW mate. Running a HDD or 2, DVD drive, all the fans required, and a new'ish GPU will be taxing enough for a 5-600w PSU, id say adding a 2nd card would push it to breaking point. Ive actually got an 8800GTS sitting around doing nothing, if i had more than my 600W psu, and a mobo with 2 PCI-e slots, id definitely try this

I know I'd never get away with two cards, I can't anyway. I was more wondering if I'd get away with it for the 460 1GB, trying to find tests to see how it compares to the 4850 I currently have.

I know I'd never get away with two cards, I can't anyway. I was more wondering if I'd get away with it for the 460 1GB, trying to find tests to see how it compares to the 4850 I currently have.

Ah i get you. No idea how the 460 would fair. Im running a 1gb oc edition of the 4870 i think..its either 4870 or 50, i always forget :lol: but i think my psu is a 600watt. (built this in 07 and ive bene upgrading it on and off since then so i forget most of what went into it)

Either way it handles mafia 2 fairly easily. Only when i had physx stuff on the FPS in the warehouse secion went down to 10 <_< without it, i had an fps of 30 - 40

Well I've only got a netbook so the PC version is out for me but I thought the 260 demo was pretty good but as said, could have done with some tweaking. Shame that it looks like it won't be getting it. :( Ah well.

I can't believe that screenshot though, I better not look at any of the physX vids that are bound to make me jealous.

God this game is stunning. So detailed, great sense of place, and it runs like a dream to boot, unlike GTA4.

Combat is solid as hell and very satisfying, lack of blind fire aside. Cutscenes are a lot more interesting than GTA as well. Reckon I'll pre-order, but not the pointless deluxe edition.

Oh and I really wasn't expecting boobs at lunchtime. "E to take magazine WHOA!" Unnecessary.

I thought they'd stopped that working?

EDIT - Ahh they lifted that so it does now

I'm no expert and I haven't done it myself, it's just that a friend of mine, who actually is an expert, recommended me this option. And I've seen it mentioned in various forums of games that use physx.

iirc I only have 520w, so would I need to buy a new PSU if I ever wanted to do this?

Seeing the Mafia 2 demo has made it painfully clear how long this gen is and there's still no sign of any next-gen console goodness on the horizon. Might as well use the money I'd usually spend on all the new consoles every 5 years on upgrading my PC and enter the next-gen that way :P Also, being a console gamer, it helps that most new PC titles are fully compatible with the 360 controller so there's really nothing stopping me.

I'm no expert and I haven't done it myself, it's just that a friend of mine, who actually is an expert, recommended me this option. And I've seen it mentioned in various forums of games that use physx.

iirc I only have 520w, so would I need to buy a new PSU if I ever wanted to do this?

Seeing the Mafia 2 demo has made it painfully clear how long this gen is and there's still no sign of any next-gen console goodness on the horizon. Might as well use the money I'd usually spend on all the new consoles every 5 years on upgrading my PC and enter the next-gen that way :P Also, being a console gamer, it helps that most new PC titles are fully compatible with the 360 controller so there's really nothing stopping me.

Well i couldnt say for certain, (im a bit out of the loop in regards to newer cards, last one i bought was early 2009 i think) but given that when i got my 48XX series card then, it had a requirement of a 600w or higher psu then yeah, id say youd be looking at getting a new PSU to get that setup going nowadays.

My pc is a 4870, 8GB ram, and a Q6600 Quad core, and ive honestly been so impressed with how the latest games are running on my rig that im not bothering upgrading anything now til i get a completely new PC, which wont be for a good while yet. The Kane & Lynch 2 demo i thought was honestly one of the best looking games ive ever seen and it runs like a dream. Even mafia 2 ran and looked fantastic. Im sure the physx stuff makes it even better, but even without it, or it on med-low youre still getting a visual experience better than the console ports. Im primarily a console gamer too (i only get to use my pc a couple of times a week :( ) but this just looks too good on PC to pass up :wub:

Well i couldnt say for certain, (im a bit out of the loop in regards to newer cards, last one i bought was early 2009 i think) but given that when i got my 48XX series card then, it had a requirement of a 600w or higher psu then yeah, id say youd be looking at getting a new PSU to get that setup going nowadays.

Actually the newer cards are more energy efficient than the older ones, can see power consumption details here, looking at their earlier tests the 8800GTS has a peak consumption of 239w. But as you say, would almost certainly need a new PSU for a dual card setup, unless a card running purely for PhysX has really low consumption, but can't find any info on that.

Actually the newer cards are more energy efficient than the older ones, can see power consumption details here, looking at their earlier tests the 8800GTS has a peak consumption of 239w. But as you say, would almost certainly need a new PSU for a dual card setup, unless a card running purely for PhysX has really low consumption, but can't find any info on that.

Yeah, maybe you could get lucky and find an ancient AGP Geforce 4 or something that doesnt even require a power cable...tho god only knows how well something that old would run physx :lol:

Er... where the eff did this come from? Have I just not paid any attention to articles about this because I wasn't bothered with the origianal or has this litterally come out of no-where as seemingly being the best game of the summer? The Demo is just astonishingly well made. The opnening bit in your house as proper life goes by out of your window got me as excited as that opening train journey into Black Messa all those years ago, a real 'wow' factor.... With this and Starcraft a golden time to be a pc gamer once more.

ARHHH,all this techno PC spec talk is hurting my head. How do you guy's do it?

All I see are lot's of meaningless numbers. Why can't they just make PC gaming more simple already, it's ridiculous.

Just to get out of the hastle of messing around with my PC all week I'm going 360 on this baby.

Yeah, maybe you could get lucky and find an ancient PCI Geforce 4 or something that doesnt even require a power cable...tho god only knows how well something that old would run physx :lol:

I know I've no hope of doing it, why I'm looking at the 460 which also looks to offer a nice performance boost over my 4850. The 8-series is the earliest you can go back to get a dedicated PhysX card, it does seem to offer nice performance boosts if you can get a dedicated card for it. Not sure if that just tells you more about the implementation of PhysX than anything else and that it's a nice way to try and sell us old stock.

All I see are lot's of meaningless numbers. Why can't they just make PC gaming more simple already, it's ridiculous.

Just to get out of the hastle of messing around with my PC all week I'm going 360 on this baby.

PC gaming is as simple as console gaming if you want it to be. These numbnuts are just obsessive number crunchers, and i'd rather it stayed out of these impressions threads, but hey ho.

The opnening bit in your house as proper life goes by out of your window got me as excited as that opening train journey into Black Messa all those years ago, a real 'wow' factor.... With this and Starcraft a golden time to be a pc gamer once more.

Yeah, that's by far my favourite part. Standing by the window and having the high quality apartment in the foreground, whilst seeing far into the distance.

One thing which bothered me when this gen kicked off... 'next gen' only ever seemed to extend about 20 yards in front of the player. With this, there's just as much life in the background as there is right next to you. It's WOW.

Love the cars too. I want one of those coupes with the red interior and light blue paint. Earlier I shot a female passenger, then took her corpse for a ride. The cops didn't seem to notice my passenger was DEAD TIRED.

I know I've no hope of doing it, why I'm looking at the 460 which also looks to offer a nice performance boost over my 4850. The 8-series is the earliest you can go back to get a dedicated PhysX card, it does seem to offer nice performance boosts if you can get a dedicated card for it. Not sure if that just tells you more about the implementation of PhysX than anything else and that it's a nice way to try and sell us old stock.

Whats the rest of your specs? Cause even the 4850 should give good performance in mafia 2.

Those demo videos of physx are very imrpessive alright, when i can eventually afford to build a whole new pc itll be soemthing i take into consideration for sure

Part of the enjoyment is the challenge of having to get your head around half this shit :lol:

I didn't realise a demo was out until today, I grabbed it on 360.

I think ill whack it onto the pc too, I've got a GTX 275, should run reasonable?

It'll run fucking perfectly.

I agree with Number 28, I wish that the obsessive tech stuff would stay out of the impressions threads like this, particularly for a game that's so well-optimised that anyone who bought a £400-500 PC in the past two years can run it on the highest settings without worrying. Will need to try out the limited open world stuff later, as I pretty much just beelined for the mission on my first attempt.