Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

ARHHH,all this techno PC spec talk is hurting my head. How do you guy's do it?

All I see are lot's of meaningless numbers. Why can't they just make PC gaming more simple already, it's ridiculous.

Just to get out of the hastle of messing around with my PC all week I'm going 360 on this baby.

<_<

ARHHH,all this techno PC spec talk is hurting my head. How do you guy's do it?

All I see are lot's of meaningless numbers. Why can't they just make PC gaming more simple already, it's ridiculous.

Just to get out of the hastle of messing around with my PC all week I'm going 360 on this baby.

Uh, you look at how much money you've got and then you ask 'best graphics card for £x' in the building PCs subforum and buy the most common answer. It's not that complicated. Even if you're buying a whole new PC, just go and look at the latest build suggestions on bit-tech (or similar). I recently bought a car and I found it much, much more complicated than buying a PC has ever been.

As far as all the tech talk of framerates and resolutions go, that's the point of PC gaming, those things matter. On the console you like it or lump it. It's always the way in a PC game thread - the starcraft 2 thread is heaped with tech talk in amongst the talk of the game itself.

:lol: ouch, but then Tarutaru and now Lalafell punting in crystal clarity must be worth the cost.

Whats the rest of your specs? Cause even the 4850 should give good performance in mafia 2.

Those demo videos of physx are very imrpessive alright, when i can eventually afford to build a whole new pc itll be soemthing i take into consideration for sure

Part of the enjoyment is the challenge of having to get your head around half this shit :lol:

The performance is fine, well apart from with PhysX but that's more down to Nvidia only wanting it to run fine with their cards. It is more the case that full PhysX really does look amazing in Mafia 2 even just the way your clothes move, just adds to the game. I've not really been tempted by it before, but it's a case of it looking great, the excellent 460 coming out and my wanting to switch from ATI to Geforce for a while all coming together at once making me think about it. Also I do get some problems with my card, diagonal artifacting on boxes and things after playing for a while, black dots flashing up in certain games, must stop or I'll talk myself into buying one.

I've just bought and installed a GTX480 so everything runs pretty peachy and at the framerates i want (finally!).

(Well, apart from Rfactor - of all things - which is having difficulties).

Framerates are really important to me these days. Nice card though and i got a fair price over at Overclockers.

Er... where the eff did this come from? Have I just not paid any attention to articles about this because I wasn't bothered with the origianal or has this litterally come out of no-where as seemingly being the best game of the summer? The Demo is just astonishingly well made. The opnening bit in your house as proper life goes by out of your window got me as excited as that opening train journey into Black Messa all those years ago, a real 'wow' factor.... With this and Starcraft a golden time to be a pc gamer once more.

There does seem to be a lack of interest surrounding this, no idea why though, I've been looking forward to this for ages. :omg: . Think this could be a sleeper hit for many akin to Arkham Asylum.

poeple have managed to stop the countdown timer, anyone know how?

The timer isn't that bad at all really. When the time is up, you're good to go again in about 20 seconds. The obligation to answer the phone each time is a bit annoying, but it's no "MY NAME IS BOLA SANTOSI..." cutscene.

I applied the patch...

Now i'm playing my own game of 'see how long you can hole up in the gun store'. 8)

Sounds fun. The demo did give the feeling that this will be a fun world to mess around in and do things such as that, something that GTA4 felt a little lacking in compared to the earlier ones. Hopefully it will be quite moddable as well just to add to it.

Pczone have a review, gave it 80%. They say the characters a little cold and it's very linear, personally I don't mind linear or open world games, variety is the spice of life and all that. Slightly more concerning to me personally is they say you'll clock it in around 10 hours, so maybe a Steam Sale game for me then. Please don't turn this into a quality vs quantity argument as this is just my preference.

Pczone have a review, gave it 80%. They say the characters a little cold and it's very linear, personally I don't mind linear or open world games, variety is the spice of life and all that. Slightly more concerning to me personally is they say you'll clock it in around 10 hours, so maybe a Steam Sale game for me then. Please don't turn this into a quality vs quantity argument as this is just my preference.

It's a shame it isn't longer, double that and I'd have been really happy. Still I expect I'll get a lot of fun just messing around in the world and if the demo is anything to go by I'll happily play through the story a few times. Anyone know if there are any plans regards DLC on the PC for it?

I might be wrong, but another review also mentioned it's not very long. (10hrs or lower, I can't really remember which)

It's probably down to the lack of diversions in the game compared to others like SR, GTA, etc (although this isn't really a fair comparison as they are aiming for very different things), there doesn't appear to be much in the way of activities either (although that might just be because it's a demo) and the cops are so fierce and you're so weak that it makes killing sprees a little pointless.

There's always free-ride extreme and the hours you could waste away taking in the game world, but even that probably won't cut for long.

Yeah, well, they said Black and White was one of the best games ever - don't listen to em!

The sheer amount of detail in this is great. I just found out that you can rob all the shops, and in slightly sicker detail you can leave bloody footprints on corpses by walking over them after walking in blood.

I robbed the clothes store earlier, and a few minutes later I went past and there was a 'crime scene' that had been set up with tape across the door. :lol:

There are loads of nice little touches, the radio station has some awesome tracks, I found the original be a bit bland in that regard, and some of the debris looks fantastic. There's nothing like skidding into a load of trash cans and wreaking havoc. I actually managed to get past one of the red barriers by accident earlier which was quite amusing, walking too far out of bounds fails the mission though. :facepalm:

Aye, it seems very well-optimised.

The detail is just stunning, too. Each car has its own unique number plate, and to legalise a car you can have the plates changed to whatever you want as well as repainting it.

I've figured out the wanted system, too. There are three separate aspects to it, and you can have any combination of them at once. There's a Wanted Poster icon that appears, which shows that your appearance is known, and you can get rid of this by changing clothes, although the original outfit remains 'wanted'. There's also a 'Wanted' number plate icon, which indicates that the vehicle you're in is known to be hot and will cause the police to chase you. Finally there is a sliding scale of stars. 1 star - police will ticket and fine you. 2 stars - police will arrest you, though you can bribe your way out. 3 stars - police will shoot to kill, with handguns. 4 stars - police break out automatic weapons like Thompson SMGs, and shotguns. Not sure if there's a 5 star level.

If, for instance, you're spotted stealing a car but drive off quickly, the police will look for the car but may not have a description of you, so you if you get out and walk you're safe. If you commit crimes unseen the police will turn up but as long as you're out of the immediate vicinity and no longer holding a weapon or whatever, you're safe once again. You can get rid of all wanted stuff by using a telephone to call a contact in the police department and bribe him to make things blow over.

Works very nicely, I think. Much more involved than GTA's simple stars.

If you commit crimes unseen the police will turn up but as long as you're out of the immediate vicinity and no longer holding a weapon or whatever, you're safe once again.

Heh, that's how it should work, but it seems that standing on top of a corpse is A-OK.

Has anyone found a way to escape a fist fight? Without pulling your gun? Bit of an oversight no?

Damn, there needs to be a 'doff your hat' button. :hat:

There's a demo up on Steam now. My three year old PC managed to run the game fine...I was really impressed with it.

Welcome to the party, but the tuna volovants were gone days ago. :P

Really like the demo (on 360), bar the camera feeling a bit tight indoors. Sure it won't take long to get used to.

Genuinely impressed by the game world, can't wait for the full game and a proper explore.