Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

Damn. Im out of the loop when it comes to graphics cards...whats the general conscencus at the moment as to who has the best cards on the market? Ive been an ATI 4870 user for the last few years, ever since my 8800GTs was plagued with "display driver has stopped responding" errors.

I wouldnt mind upgrading tho, if it meant being able to run physx properly.

I'm pretty out of the loop myself when it comes to the best cards and Nvidia Vs ATI. But Nvidia have recently brought out the 460 which is getting really good reviews, good performance at a good price point, plus you have PhysX. I really am tempted to upgrade from my 4850 to the 1GB version if the price comes down a bit more, but then I play some Red Faction: Guerrilla and see I can do decent physics if the developer doesn't go for restrictive methods.

I'm pretty out of the loop myself when it comes to the best cards and Nvidia Vs ATI. But Nvidia have recently brought out the 460 which is getting really good reviews, good performance at a good price point, plus you have PhysX. I really am tempted to upgrade from my 4850 to the 1GB version if the price comes down a bit more, but then I play some Red Faction: Guerrilla and see I can do decent physics if the developer doesn't go for restrictive methods.

Just had a look at some benchmarks for the 460 1GB, seems like it really doesnt outperform my 4870 by that much, seemed like a boost of maybe 10fps or so in games like Clear Sky. If im paying for a new card i want something thats literally going to double my FPS :lol:

RFG Doesn't use physx thankfully. Proof that physics doesn't need to be proprietary :)

For the record, I think physx is a massive waste of time. Either make it open to all formats or don't bother - you're not going to convince me to buy a particular brand of card by having a few bits of paper on the floor etc. I feel exactly the same about 3D - I'd rather have the raw performance, thanks. Even when I had 2x GTX280's I still turned it off in favour of performance in Arkham Asylum/Mirrors Edge.

Anyways, here's some footage... utterly raped by the youtube compression, natch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_xIfTnX3fg

RFG Doesn't use physx.

For the record, I think physx is a massive waste of time. Either make it open to all formats or don't bother - you're not going to convince me to buy a particular brand of card by having a few bits of paper on the floor etc.

I know, was just saying that you can have games with great physics effects no matter what your card if the developer doesn't go down the PhysX route. Which then stops a large portion of your customers experiencing the game as you want them to. I do agree it's a con and things would be much better if it was open, or developers only used stuff that worked no matter who made your GPU. Still, Mafia 2 does look impressive with it all on, but it will be fantastic whatever and I can't wait for Friday.

I know, was just saying that you can have games with great physics effects no matter what your card if the developer doesn't go down the PhysX route. Which then stops a large portion of your customers experiencing the game as you want them to. I do agree it's a con and things would be much better if it was open, or developers only used stuff that worked no matter who made your GPU. Still, Mafia 2 does look impressive with it all on, but it will be fantastic whatever and I can't wait for Friday.

I completely agree - I was agreeing with you in the earlier post.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I love the Mafia series for what they are and what they try to achieve and for those who like more freedom or more crazy action in their sandbox games there's thankfully plenty of other quality games to choose from.

I absolutely love the little touches in it compared to stuff in GTA. Some people might be put off by the amount of realistic shit, but I absolutely love the fact that you have to put petrol in the cars, can store stuff in the boot along with the fact that you can tinker with the stuff that is in your house.

I had zero interest in this, but picked up on some positive comments in this thread and tried the demo off Steam.

Really, really nice. Looks fantastic on PC (ATI 4850, AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit). To a total know-nothing newb to the series, the demo comes across as a 1950's Grand Theft Auto, story and mission-driven with a realistic open-world environment. The gunplay and combat look to be significantly improved over GTA.

I'm thinking this would be good on PC rather than console, but may try a 360 demo unless there are going to be good online multiplayer options which would more suit the PC.

I had zero interest in this, but picked up on some positive comments in this thread and tried the demo off Steam.

Really, really nice. Looks fantastic on PC (ATI 4850, AMD Athlon X2 6000+ 3GHz, 4GB RAM, Win 7 64-bit). To a total know-nothing newb to the series, the demo comes across as a 1950's Grand Theft Auto, story and mission-driven with a realistic open-world environment. The gunplay and combat look to be significantly improved over GTA.

I'm thinking this would be good on PC rather than console, but may try a 360 demo unless there are going to be good online multiplayer options which would more suit the PC.

From most of the impressions in this thread, it seems like if youve got the choice, youd be nuts to go for the console version over the PC version. not that im slagging off consoles or anything, love my 360, but it just does seem like the PC version is the only one that does the game justice

From most of the impressions in this thread, it seems like if youve got the choice, youd be nuts to go for the console version over the PC version. not that im slagging off consoles or anything, love my 360, but it just does seem like the PC version is the only one that does the game justice

The 360 demo isn't that bad at all really, while a good pc is clearly the superior platform for this, I don't think it deserves to be said that the 360 doesn't do it justice

I've been playing this today, it is fucking amazing so far. On the 360 there hasn't been tearing like there was in the apartment. If you have a non-HD TV I suspect you will have a job reading the subtitles.

EDIT- Tears quite a bit in places.

Why do so many reviews go on about it being open world but with little side activities to do ? It was never intended to be like that and it's exactly the same as the first, a linear story set within an open city to create a better atmosphere. It's almost as if they don't know the series roots.

Review are starting to trickle in...

IGN gives it 7.0 - the same as they gave Kane and Lynch 2

Gamespot gives it 8.5

Eurogamer gives it 4 (!!!)

and a smattering of other places I've not heard of have given it anything ranging from 7 to 9.3

Common criticisms are bad lip synching, stiff animations and not enough to do outside of the story.

The fact there are no real side missions is a major plus for me, quite happy to stick to the main story myself.

Agreed - I can't abide 'sandbox' games that make you go out of your way to collect nonsensical shite, shoot pigeons, do endless repetitious side quests or - my personal pet hate - fucking street races.

Agreed - I can't abide 'sandbox' games that make you go out of your way to collect nonsensical shite, shoot pigeons, do endless repetitious side quests or - my personal pet hate - fucking street races.

i enjoyed that demo more than the whole of red dead redemption. i love the setting, styling and can't wait to purchase a nice trilby and tommygun

Giantbomb review

Playing Mafia II gives you the feeling that the developers put more emphasis on telling a great mob story than designing a great video game, but had to split their attention too much to effectively do either one. That story would have probably been better served if the game had shed its superfluous open-world trappings and focused on quicker pacing and greater diversity in the mission design. There are a lot of great mob stories out there already, and this one needed more focus to stand out next to all the memorable tales that came before.

The fact there are no real side missions is a major plus for me, quite happy to stick to the main story myself.

Agreed, I like the fact that it is more focused but the demo (PS3) just didn't quite do it for me. Might give it another go.