IGNORED

Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

That first mission was hellish, yes. Particularly as night missions seemed to really, really kill the framerate. Christ knows how I got through it, after about 30 minutes of driving.

Dude, your PC must have been shite.

Who cares though, at worst those will be cutscenes and even if they're not I didn't play the first one for the facial animations either.

I did. That and those smoke rings. A revolution in graphics.

I like the way Gametrailers refers to it as 'the gritty underworld of the mob.' If you've seen the trailer you'll be expecting Joe Dolce. I am.

This thread (and that trailer) has inspired me to reinstall and play though Mafia yet again (for the 3rd time). This game is in my top ten easily. It was so immersive it was unreal.

I found the cars to be wonderfull. So much so that I play it with a force feedback steering wheel. It's really well calibrated, when you go over brick road you can feel the bricks! It also made the race level very easy. When I play GTA on my pc, I don't bother using the wheel for driving, it's only Mafia that I bother using the wheel for.

What a stunning game Mafia was, and despite the obvious cliche at the end (not right at the end), the plot was fantasically immersive (I thinking especially of Frank's tale here). So many great set-pieces, too; the barn/farm (lovely rain and lightening), the church, the villa...such a great game, I need to get back into my second playthrough (yeah, I'm at the race).

This has been rumoured for ages, good that it's finally been confirmed. The only thing really that surprises me is that it sold 2 million and only now has a sequel confirmed?? Glad it did will, at any rate, as it was one of those games you love but think only sold a few thousand copies. Happy that isn't the case!

This has been rumoured for ages, good that it's finally been confirmed. The only thing really that surprises me is that it sold 2 million and only now has a sequel confirmed?? Glad it did will, at any rate, as it was one of those games you love but think only sold a few thousand copies. Happy that isn't the case!

I get the feeling that a large amount of those were sales as part as one of those cheap budget lines you get for older PC games. I'd like to be proven wrong on that though, it definitely deserves 2 million regular sales.

I get the feeling that a large amount of those were sales as part as one of those cheap budget lines you get for older PC games. I'd like to be proven wrong on that though, it definitely deserves 2 million regular sales.

True, but even so, it is a big number. I'm guessing that even on those budget sales there is still enough of a mark-up to make them viable? But you're right, it deserved 2 million+ sales at full price (although I think I only paid £17.99 from Play on release).

Wow, I really enjoyed the first Mafia on the PC so I'm super happy there's going to be a sequel. It did take some work to love it, the controls needed a fair bit of tweaking to get right (I think I used a GC pad for driving, mouse/keys for everthing else) and there were some pretty dodgy difficulty spikes but it was so atmospheric and well worth the effort. I remember some great missions, the one near the end where you had to rob the bank with Paulie is one that sticks in the memory. And you gotta love that big band soundtrack :wub:

I'll be looking forward to the sequel, I can't see it doing that well commercially but if it's anywhere near as good as the first one then I'll be picking it up.

It certainly was full of moments, and did allow for some improvisation, too. I remember the level where you have to make an example of somebody on a boat, and a weapon has been left for you in the toilet. When I got there I could only find a bucket, and used that to kill my target. I didn't actually even know there was a gun in there until much later! :(

• 6 months later...
I think this is PC only, so most likely it won't even sell a fraction of what GTA IV will do ;)

Gamespot have it down for 360 and PS3 as well, so here's hoping. My PC should be able to handle it no problems, but still, I just prefer using my consoles for games.

EDIT: It seems Take-Two have bought the company making this anyway (Illusion Softworks - being renamed 2K Czech), so whether people buy this or GTA, the money will go to the same place. Hopefully it will also mean a decent level of exposure for the game.

• 4 weeks later...