Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

We got an email about a month ago in work. It is coming out for 360, ps3, and pc apparently. The first one on the PC was terrific. Surely everyone has a pc capable of running it now. If anyone hasn't played it, it is a fiver down in game so go fetch it. I love that game.

I just hope they don't have a racing car level again :(
o/\o

I had to cheat on that level because it WAS SO FUCKING HARD.

I also cheated

*hides in corner ashamed of himself*

I was just joking. The racing car level was a fucking abomination.

Do you want to know something funny? The developers are proud of all those shit, hard, frustrating bits - or so I've heard.

The racing level was an absolute travesty.

I enjoyed the rest of the game, though. The bank robbery level was a favourite of mine. And the level set in the airport. I remember there being a massive shootout and a civilian runs into a phone booth to call the cops. If you shoot him before he makes the call, the cops don't arrive. If you spare him, they turn up mob handed and you've got to shoot your way out.

And the Hotel Corleone mission. Walking into the restaurant: 'Are you so-and-so so-and-so?' 'Yeah...who are you?' 'Nobody messes with the Don!' Blammo.

I also liked the level set at the farm. Reminded me of the siege scene in L.A. Confidential.

I remember the reviews at the time saying that they wanted to snap the disc in half it was so hard. It only took me about 2 or 3 gos. It was very straightforward, slow into the corners, step on the gas for the straightways. Nothing special. In conclusion you all suck.

Many of the missions in the GTA series were much harder.

Do you want to know something funny? The developers are proud of all those shit, hard, frustrating bits - or so I've heard.

I liked the other hard bits, like the unforgiving opening sequence. Tutorial level? Fuck off, have a car full of gangsters up your arse instead. It was a hard game in general, and I hope to god that the sequel is equally hard. The race wasn't hard, it was impossible.

I remember the reviews at the time saying that they wanted to snap the disc in half it was so hard. It only took me about 2 or 3 gos. It was very straightforward, slow into the corners, step on the gas for the straightways. Nothing special. In conclusion you all suck.

Many of the missions in the GTA series were much harder.

When did you play it? There was a patch released later on that removed the cheat and made the race much easier, so even the devs realised they'd fucked up.

o/\o

I had to cheat on that level because it WAS SO FUCKING HARD.

I found it really hard as well...I think I tried it 20 times before nailing it. Later that day I went to my mates, and he was stuck on the race. I told him I'd done it, he didn't believe me so I said I could do it for him. I managed to do it on my first go. I think it was just getting used to the sensitive handling of that particular car.

The racing level was like the drugged up baby crying levels in Max Payne, either you did on your first or second go and wondered what all the fuss was about, or it was the hardest thing ever and either put you off the game or forced cheating.

The race was easy once you figured out the best way to approach it.

I still remember the Eurogamer review, where they have a fucking tantrum about the idea having to attempt a level more than once. It's so depressing that the developers had to patch the game to let you skip the race, purely because PC gaming is full of kids, most of whom don't even pay for games in the first place, who basically want games to be long, stupid films.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly have been down to poor design. That part of the game is notorious, obviously. If it wasn't that big a deal, not as many people would have taken issue with it.

If the developers approach the sequel without taking feedback like this into account, Mafia 2 is not going to be well recieved; times have changed a lot in games since Mafia was originally released.

If it's basically a 6 year old game in shiny clothes it's going to get ripped apart. And I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen.

Yeah, it couldn't possibly have been down to poor design. That part of the game is notorious, obviously. If it wasn't that big a deal, not as many people would have taken issue with it.

I'm not holding it up as a shining example of good design, but it works as intended (whereas much else in the game doesn't, if we're being completely frank). But the internet ensures that any game that doesn't offer up solutions on a plate gets crucified.

The bulk of Mafia's development predated the 3D GTAs. I doubt that they've ignored them in the intervening time.

I used a force feedback steering wheel when I played Mafia. I'm also a big fan of racing games and found the driving engine in Mafia to be really, really good. Not only did I nail said racing level the first time, I continually went back to play it again and again because I found that level so enjoyable. Each to their own I suppose.

Man I loved Mafia. The first thing I did when I got my new PC was to play through Mafia a second time to see it in all its shiny glory. Looks a bit dated now but the story was superb, even if it was suspiciously similar to Goodfellas (which is no bad thing!).

This leads me nicely on to my only real concern for Mafia 2. It's not the game mechanics or graphics etc, it's the story. I really want it to be different from the first. This might be difficult if they insist on the player being a semi-good guy again. In the first game, you were essentially a good guy. The people you killed were just baddies from a different Mafia family and the occasional copper. When it came time to do nasty work, the players character always ended up doing the (morally) right thing. Well, I think GTA has showed the world that Gamers don't really care which side of the ethics fence their characters sit on. Personally if I think playing as Tommy DeVito would be more fun than playing as Henry Hill. A lot more fun!