IGNORED

Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

Ooh, hadn't noticed this thread. I loved Mafia. A 1950s update would be ace.

o/\o

I had to cheat on that level because it WAS SO FUCKING HARD.

I was doing that with a force-feedback joystick which helped a bit, but what actually made me win it in the end was the lead car spinning off into a tree in some freak accident/glitch and me maintaining the lead afterwards :wub:

• 7 months later...

Either way, I can't wait for this. To be honest, I'm starting to itch to replay the original. In places it was a bit too linear, and you had next to nothing to do beside following the missions, but overall the game had an amazing atmosphere and a great story, along with some awesome set pieces.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first one apart from the incessant whistling so I'm looking forward to this loads, I do enjoy the proper gangster side of stuff and I really enjoyed some of the levels in the first one, the bit where you go escaping across a rooftop being chased and then end up in that funeral and have a big shoot out in the church too was epic.

I actually quite liked the race level to be honest, was arguably a bit harder than any other driving you'd done up to that point but I don't think I had to restart it that many times.

I am concerned that it will be a bit too similar to the previous one somehow but I think I'll still get it just for the scenario and everything, least it's not bloody WWII again...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Beautiful. But there's something a bit... clunky about it. The general walking and combat bits don't look upto the same amazing standards as the atmosphere and environments. It feels a bit PC circa 1999, but with modern textures and voice work.

Still looking forward to it though. Production values are high and a lot of love has been clearly smeared over it. Fingers crossed and all.

Eurogamer Preview

In a sense it's no wonder that Mafia II was delayed until next year (something 2K Czech simply puts down to the fact it isn't finished), because the developer isn't merely constructing an open-world playground into which you can pour out your frustrations by running people over, firing rocket launchers at helicopters and dressing up ridiculously. It's constructing a life within The Life, no doubt grading itself by the authenticity of the behaviour it can elicit from you, rather than the authenticity of the sort of world into which we're used to marching and then behaving absurdly. Doing so is about mastering the details, and that takes time. The fascinating thing to discover won't necessarily be whether the developer achieves that, but what kind of story it then brings you to tell by the quality of your actions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/mafia-ii-preview_5_9

Sounds amazing, really can't wait for this.

And the above footage is from the 360 version. :(

Actually that stuff in the part 2 vid (which I didn't see the other day is really really appealing to me, the one thing that I think GTA4 'lost' was it's attempt to be totally straight in regards to the storyline and being all about morals and alleged deep themes but then still being quite silly with all the sandbox stuff.

I like the fact this one seems to be consistent in it's world and so on, I still think SR2 was better for remaining daft throughout the whole game, rather than pretending it was high brow during missions and then just going a bit silly.

The ability to duck down an alleyway or what have you to evade cops is much better as well (if it works) that always annoyed me in GTA that you could go on some elaborate garden hopping, vehicle changing shenanigans or what have you but magically the cops knew exactly where you were, before it even got to a situation where you had police choppers on you.

I'm looking forward to meeting the family again.