Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

[yt]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AE01N0xDE&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AE01N0xDE&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71AE01N0xDE&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Inmense. Watch HD.

At least us console players will have the amazing soundtrack still intact though.

• 2 weeks later...
Take Two have today revealed that Mafia II will be getting a demo in August.

In August a comprehensive demo program will begin to run up until the games launch. No solid date has been set for the release yet.

Mafia II will launch on the 24th August.

I have to say, after the sublime 'Mafia', if it is anything but awesome I'll be disappointed.

Mafia was fantastic. Not too many people I know played it. This will be a say one purchase for me. Really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...
Plays great too, the E3 demo has me sold.

:lol:

Are you allowed to talk about it?

If so, were you able to turn on simulation handling? How was it? How did the world feel? It doesn't feel very 'alive' in the footage so far, does it feel lived in with peds doing their own thing? (basically like RDR or GTA4). How's the shooting and cover mechanics?

Sorry for all the questions, just really want this to be good. :lol:

If so, were you able to turn on simulation handling? How was it? How did the world feel? It doesn't feel very 'alive' in the footage so far, does it feel lived in with peds doing their own thing? (basically like RDR or GTA4). How's the shooting and cover mechanics?

Sorry for all the questions, just really want this to be good. <_<

I just played the demo that was on the show floor, which I've sure everyone has seen in video form now. I only had 10 minutes, in which I quickly played through the demo. The combat was satisfying, the cover system worked well and even the car handling was decent. It was just all really solid and has got me excited about its release.

I just played the demo that was on the show floor, which I've sure everyone has seen in video form now. I only had 10 minutes, in which I quickly played through the demo. The combat was satisfying, the cover system worked well and even the car handling was decent. It was just all really solid and has got me excited about its release.

We probably met as I was working the Mafia 2 section :bye::eyebrows: I'm glad you enjoyed it!

• 1 month later...

Any news on what the demo will entail? Will there be an free-roaming elements (a bit like the Just Cause 2 demo) or will it be strictly mission-style (like Red Faction: Guerrilla)?

It's the opening mission they've been demoing since last year. (the one where you shoot up the restaurant). It's unconfirmed though.

And it's not very likely the demo will have free-roaming as the game isn't strictly open world, it's linear (no different from Mafia 1), but it will be receiving some post release DLC that should hopefully offer a 'free-ride' mode. (the first DLC pack - The Betrayal of Jimmy' is a PS3 exclusive and will be free to download for new purchases.)

It also sounds a lot like the freeride mode I mentioned earlier, but I might just be reading too much into some of the comments about the mode.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/06/mafia-iis-ps3-exclusive-dlc-the-betrayal-of-jimmy/

:)

It's the opening mission they've been demoing since last year. (the one where you shoot up the restaurant). It's unconfirmed though.

And it's not very likely the demo will have free-roaming as the game isn't strictly open world, it's linear (no different from Mafia 1), but it will be receiving some post release DLC that should hopefully offer a 'free-ride' mode. (the first DLC pack - The Betrayal of Jimmy' is a PS3 exclusive and will be free to download for new purchases.)

It also sounds a lot like the freeride mode I mentioned earlier, but I might just be reading too much into some of the comments about the mode.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/08/06/mafia-iis-ps3-exclusive-dlc-the-betrayal-of-jimmy/

:)

If it's like the original Mafia then the story will be very linear but the world open world. It had a Free Ride/Free Ride Xtreme mode with side missions and other things to do after you've finished the game. Whether or not this is a part of Mafia 2 or will be introduced as DLC is another thing.

The demo is out on Steam! :omg: installing as I type this! Going to check now if the 360 demo is also out. Edit: not on Live yet it seems. Edit edit: Steam demo 60% done! (but why oh why do Steam downloads sometimes pause themselves - annoying) Edit edit edit: downloaded! Now to try it out :D Expectations are high, hopefully my PC will be able to run it somewhat decently. Edit edit edit edit: woo-hooo 360 controller support! :D

Tired of adding edits so yeah I'm writing a new post. :)

First impressions are very promising! First off, it features proper analogue control, ie push analogue stick slightly to walk and push it all the way to sprint. Holy fuck, it *is* possible and very well it works too. (edit: heh spoke too soon - hold LB to run sprint even faster) In terms of atmosphere and graphical quality and detail it blows GTA4 out of the water, this might be because I'm playing on a PC with everything set to max (except for physx because I have an ATI card) but even so in terms of detail and atmospheric touches it's quite unlike anything else. Those who love the way the old days are brilliantly recreated in the likes of Mad Men are also going to love this, it has a very similar eye for detail for adding nice little touches to recreate the atmosphere just so. This is all based on only a few minutes looking around, but first impressions count for something right? You start off in your house and that bit reminded me of Shenmue of all things, specifically in how I spent some time looking around a detailed and very believable house with all kinds of shit to interact with (get a beer out of the fridge, open and close the windows, turn on faucets - that kinda stuff) with the only disappointment not being able to turn on the TV.

Once you go outside a timer starts and you have 10 minutes to get to your mission objective,. Within that time you're free to explore a small part of the open world, which is what I'm doing right now. I went for a drink and stole a few cars and not much else.

Oh and at the start of the demo it's explicitly stated that the mission in this demo will be different in the full game and not appear as it is here in the demo.

Where is it on Steam? Can't find it anywhere.

For me it was on the front page of the store, it was the first thing I saw when I started up Steam. It also shows up when I type Mafia the search box (I get Mafia II, Mafia II Deluxe Edition, and Mafia II demo as results)

Anyway, the shooting seems pretty good, far better than in GTA4. Cover mechanic also works pretty well, and the shotgun is pure win.

Edit: I replied to a post that isn't there! The forum is haunted :omg:

Pre-ordered! This one mission is already miles better than 99% of the missions in GTA4 (I really got to stop comparing these two games, but it just feels that Mafia 2 is the kind of game Rockstar was aiming for with GTA4....) and the atmosphere is incredible - it's like a cross between The Sopranos and Mad Men. Graphically it's pretty impressive too, in the demo you have to drive over a bridge to get to your objective and the view amazing. This might be the most convincing city in an open world game yet.

Edit: you can pause cutscenes and then choose to either continue or skip - nice!

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00Ghz, Ati Radeon 4890 1GB, 4 GB RAM and using a 1440x900 monitor which is why I'm able to put everything on max and still get a great framerate :)

I've been wandering about for a bit now, looking for negatives and I spotted a little pop-up from small objects in the distance when you're driving sometimes and the running animation when you hold LB is a bit shit.

I do wonder how the console versions are going to hold up though, this looks somewhat beyond the capabilities of the 360 and the PS3. Looking forward to trying the 360 demo out as that is the version I want to buy, so hopefully they managed to work wonders with the console versions.