Mafia 2

Dr Slotter

Played the demo last night on my PC. Such a pretty game! My girlfriend has an interest in 50s America and thought the level of detail that had gone into the environment was very impressive. The architecture, the interiors, the cars, the clothes, the advertising, all were very faithful to the era.

The character models are superb, although it doesn't look like quite as much effort went into the facial animation. It's ok, but Half Life 2 did it a lot better, years ago. The scene with the protagonist (I forget his name - Vino? Tino?) standing at the window was close to photo-realistic, I thought. It's a game that really needs to be played on a powerful machine to get the most of, and judging by what others are saying about its performance on consoles, that's somewhat worrying. If the demo is a fair representation of the final product, it deserves to do well, and I wonder if the sub-standard console ports will hurt its sales.

Someone on the forum said (can't remember who it was, or whether it was in this thread), that someone should invent a mouse + nunchuck combo. That's exactly how I felt, all the way through the demo. I'm getting tired of discrete levels of speed and directions of movement now, and running into walls in my home just made me wish for an analogue stick on my keyboard. Will definitely have to play it again with a 360 controller.

Played the demo last night on my PC. Such a pretty game! My girlfriend has an interest in 50s America and thought the level of detail that had gone into the environment was very impressive. The architecture, the interiors, the cars, the clothes, the advertising, all were very faithful to the era.

The character models are superb, although it doesn't look like quite as much effort went into the facial animation. It's ok, but Half Life 2 did it a lot better, years ago. The scene with the protagonist (I forget his name - Vino? Tino?) standing at the window was close to photo-realistic, I thought. It's a game that really needs to be played on a powerful machine to get the most of, and judging by what others are saying about its performance on consoles, that's somewhat worrying. If the demo is a fair representation of the final product, it deserves to do well, and I wonder if the sub-standard console ports will hurt its sales.

Someone on the forum said (can't remember who it was, or whether it was in this thread), that someone should invent a mouse + nunchuck combo. That's exactly how I felt, all the way through the demo. I'm getting tired of discrete levels of speed and directions of movement now, and running into walls in my home just made me wish for an analogue stick on my keyboard. Will definitely have to play it again with a 360 controller.

I know its not a substitute for analog, but you can press caps lock to 'walk', it saves you running into walls and doors when you just want to have a look around the interiors

This :wub:

I put 2 hours into the demo yesterday!! For the first time this gen ive played a game that made me think "wow...consoles definitely couldnt do this".

Don't say this. Look at Uncharted 2 on the PS3, or Red Dead on the Xbox 360. Both look STUNNING on the consoles. Mafia 2 is just not very well optimized for console i'm afraid. The devs could have done much, much better.

Well, no, they should've just had run, walk and sprint set up like the original game and virtually every other PC game.

Keep believing, Lem! It's definitely poor optimisation, the game's not just trying to do more than the hardware can handle, or anything. Comparing it to a game built from the ground up for the PS3 which only has to deal with less busy, more occluded scenes split into discrete levels is totally valid.

..and both could look much better on a reasonably specced PC.

no shit.

That's not the point though. Mafia 2 could have looked SO MUCH better on the consoles if the devs had put more effort in it.

no shit.

That's not the point though. Mafia 2 could have looked SO MUCH better on the consoles if the devs had put more effort in it.

Not really, read what MK said above. Uncharted is built from the ground up for the PS3 and works around the limitations. It would be impossible to have a fully open ended game world of a similar level of detail due to the hardware.

Look at Red Dead Redemption then which is also an open ended game. It looks 100x better than Mafia 2 on the Xbox 360. Why?

Because it is not pushing anywhere near as much detail as a 1950's US metropolis. The game world is relatively barren in comparison.

That's simply not true. The scenery when you leave your house in Mafia 2 and end up on the streets can be compared to the ranch in RDR. There's also a load of things happening on screen in RDR, sure no cars, but there's the dynamic weather, NPC's, horses, etc

Red Dead on 360 is one of the best looking games I've ever seen, but even then it suffers a bit when you get to the small town of Blackwater. A bustling city is presumably a lot more taxing on the hardware.

The thing is, I'd be happy if this performed as well as GTA4 on the 360, but it doesn't and that is certainly bustling with activity at many points (see Times Square). I'm not saying GTA4 performs perfectly because it certainly doesn't, but it has a better, more consistent framerate, far less tearing and less jaggies. I didn't see anything in the Mafia 2 demo to make me think it was particularly far ahead of GTA4 and so would justify a much worse overall performance.

I was interested in this game for quite a while but the 360 demo was just horrible to look at. Both GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption take a giant shit on this technically. Walking in front of the mirror of your house was one of the most hilarious things I've seen in a game in ages and when I stepped outside it felt like my eyes were going to be sliced open by the jaggies. No way I'm playing something that performs so terribly, definitely one for the PC owners.

I've got to agree i'm afraid, there's simply no reason for the (360) framerate to be so poor with all those jaggies around, look at Just Cause 2 - 100's of enemy npcs, choppers, cars, tank, gigantic forests and oceans, enormous explosions, entire cities rendered on the fly, and it looks gorgeous and is buttersmooth to boot. Alan Wake looks incredible with a rediculous draw distance, tons of fx ,10-15 enemies on screen (especially in The Signal DLC) 4x msaa and post processing,tons of realtime lighting effects yet the frame rate never faulters .

Just a severe case of unoptimisation for consoles, PC version looks fabulous. If i had a rig and not a shitty laptop, i'd definetely buy it. Can't blame Illusion Softworks though - they are PC developers through and through , probably only done console versions cause 2K told them too.

Well, no, they should've just had run, walk and sprint set up like the original game and virtually every other PC game.

Yes, that certainly would help. But even though I do the vast majority of gaming on a PC, and much prefer m&k for FPS, it's hard to argue that analogue movement isn't always an improvement over the alternative. I think a mouse will always beat a stick for aiming, but having more than eight directions of travel and three speeds would be nice too.

Yeah, and like I said before, Im not a PC gamer, so I'm more comfortable with console controls and generally just accept what I'm given.

I'm a console gamer too and thankfully mafia 2 is 100% 360 controller compatible - it plays and controls exactly the same as the 360 version :D

That's simply not true. The scenery when you leave your house in Mafia 2 and end up on the streets can be compared to the ranch in RDR. There's also a load of things happening on screen in RDR, sure no cars, but there's the dynamic weather, NPC's, horses, etc

First off, I agree that Mafia 2 is poor port first and foremost, and it could (should) have looked much better on consoles. But have you actually played the PC version yourself? There's no way in hell the current consoles could come close and I have to point out that the PC version is also a lot busier than the console versions - the streets were practically deserted in the 360 demo in comparison. RDR and JC2 look amazing on the 360 and prove that the 360 version could have looked waaaaay better than it does now, but keep in mind that the PC version of Mafia 2 is leagues ahead of both RDR and JC2 in the graphical whoring department.

This is what I posted earlier in the thread straight after playing the PC demo:

I do wonder how the console versions are going to hold up though, this looks somewhat beyond the capabilities of the 360 and the PS3. Looking forward to trying the 360 demo out as that is the version I want to buy, so hopefully they managed to work wonders with the console versions.

And that is why some people are saying that Mafia 2 could very well be the point in which the PC steams ahead of the current consoles in this gen, the graphics are quite like anything else and in this particular case only serve to enhance the brilliant atmosphere and immersion - that is why I reluctantly went for the PC version in the end even though I was planning on getting it on the 360.

Anyway, this shouldn't be a PC vs Consoles thread, we all agree that it's a shoddy port but the game itself plays wonderfully :)

Very enjoyable demo even if driving with a keyboard is pretty painful. I assume you can use a controller in the demo on the PC as people are saying it's better but the game wouldn't recognise my dual shock that I have connected via a USB adapter. All the options are shaded out, oh and what exactly is ambient occlusion?

Speaking of RDR is it going to make an appearance on PC at some stage? It's about the only time since I sold my 360 that I regretted doing it.

Very enjoyable demo even if driving with a keyboard is pretty painful. I assume you can use a controller in the demo on the PC as people are saying it's better but the game wouldn't recognise my dual shock that I have connected via a USB adapter.

I'm a console gamer too and thankfully mafia 2 is 100% 360 controller compatible - it plays and controls exactly the same as the 360 version :D

Like a lot of current PC games the game supports the 360 controller (Crysis for example is fully compatible with the 360 controller, all the way to the correct button prompts even) so I recommend getting a wired 360 controller. I use one for all my modern PC gaming needs and it's great. If you want to use a wireless 360 controller you'll need an extra dongle though. (oh and if you look at the options screen in the demo and go to the control menu and select controller lay-out, you'll see a picture of a 360 controller which is a pretty big hint ;) )

The PS3 demo is a joke. Blurry, a helluva lot more tearing and slow down and it generally lacks a lot of very basic details compared to the 360 demo.

I know the demo is an old build and I really do hope the game improves visually in the final version but it's 360 all the way for me...stuff the exclusive PS3 DLC. (would be PC if I could afford to spend the time and money on a new PC).

MK, are you suggesting PC games can do without analogue? Oh man...

Tell me about it! Every PC review of a multiformat game goes on and on about not being able to shuffle, canter, trot, fast trot and gallop, and mark down accordingly. All those poor developers that have cried themselves to sleep over the massive, fundamental gameplay changes of having to press shift to run. And the dramatic impact it has on sales figures, well, need I go on.

In summary: basically no game ever apart from Mario 64 has needed analogue movement.

Yes, that certainly would help. But even though I do the vast majority of gaming on a PC, and much prefer m&k for FPS, it's hard to argue that analogue movement isn't always an improvement over the alternative. I think a mouse will always beat a stick for aiming, but having more than eight directions of travel and three speeds would be nice too.

You're using the mouse to steer though?

I don't understand why Gerbik was 'reluctant' to decide to get it on PC, when it sounds like he has a shithot pc and uses a joypad anyway?