IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden 2

merge

Chapter 13 took me ages; I kept losing my conentration due to boredom.

Same here. The opening especially. It just seems to go on forever.

Good tip about the sacks btw. Not that I'm gonna replay this, but it might come in handy for Talvalin. :lol:

As for the weapon run achievements, allegedly you can get up to Chapter 13 (on Acolyte) just using ninpo and projectile weapons. This might look like a weasel way of doing it, but I've already done it once (and lost the achievements because I was offline then recovered my profile at a friend's without having uploaded first :D), and it would still be quite tedious/tricky. For example, the only way to kill Genshin is to tag him with an incendiary shuriken whilst he's in the middle of a combo.

Can't you wear enemies down so long as you don't kill them? I can't be bothered attempting it because those are some lame, low reward achievements, but I remember hearing that it's okay so long as you don't mince them.

You've played the game at least twice through already so this may sound utterly redundant, but be sure you're well stocked up on items at the last save point before you save.

I kinda wish the last stages were like the airship level, especially while you're on the deck. some beautiful slaughter based action going on there.

On another note, I got an email from Itagaki's assistant the other day asking if Valhalla Game Studios can put my message up on their website. Ace. :lol:

I kinda wish the last stages were like the airship level, especially while you're on the deck. some beautiful slaughter based action going on there.

On another note, I got an email from Itagaki's assistant the other day asking if Valhalla Game Studios can put my message up on their website. Ace. :lol:

Or something like the epic climb through the Emperor's Palace leading up to the boss run and then the Emperor himself (even if he is a bit of a shit boss - has anyone managed to kill his first form without using ninpo to dodge the laser beams?), or even the Eternal Legend mission (ball-achingly hard though it is).

What message of yours is going to be put on the website then?

Ah, it's just a message I sent in saying that I was looking forwards to seeing what Valhalla Games Studios are going to come up with in the future and wishing them all the best for the future. I met Itagaki five years ago at the Master Ninja Tournament, and he's a really cool guy in person. Could understand my accent better than the American guys I met.

It'll be interesting to see what games do come out of that studio - I'm not sure how much they can afford to budget their games as a new development studio, but all Tecmo's games since Doa 4 seemed to suffer from budget cuts under the new management - it doesn't make sense that the team that gave out the Hurricane Packs for free would also be the same team that charged 400 points for one swimsuit pack in DoaX2, and NG 2 was clearly both rushed and CG deficient.

And yeah, while the emperor's palace was a cool place, I wouldn't mind an end run that isn't the standard 'oh look, you're in hell now' approach to an endgame - though I still love the world turning upside down as you entered the palace in the original.

And no, I always used the Inferno to blast the emperor down. :lol:

So where do I sign up for the Master Ninja Club? B)

I lost the gamer pic when I switched Xboxes so I've been kicked out. :lol:

Also congrats! Like me do you want to never, ever play MN mode again? Mentor is the right mix of challenge/fun.

Master Ninja Mode's fun and all, but if you blink you've probably just been bounced off five exploding arrows and you suddenly look like an Incendiary Shuriken porcupine. I do enjoy it, but you need your game face on for it.

Also, congrats Talv - excellent work!

Best.Game.Ever.

I approve. Still don't get why the Jellyfish were ever allowed through testing, mind. That section in Africa where they respawn indefinitely and kill you in one hit is a standout example.

I don't think it's even close to being the best game ever. It bears all the hallmarks of a rushed game, with some glaring technical errors and bits that should've never gotten through testing. If it was ever tested in the first place. I agree with Tim's sentiment that about half the levels are actually pretty mediocre and most of the bosses are weak. For my money, the first is a better game. When this shines, it really shines though.

That's the thing - the flaws are there (some lacklustre level design, bugs, etc) , but the combat is easily the best I've ever seen in a game. I'm still coming back to it two years later, and the combat's so much better in this that going back to the original is surprisingly tough.

The more I play this, the more I appreciate it - but the thing is that while I'd probably class the first game as a good contender for the best game ever made, this is easily the best combat game. With (a hub world a la Tairon) and some more inspired, adventure friendly design (ditto) this would blow the original out of the water. As it stands, they both have their strengths.

I can see where you're coming from, though. When this was being developed, Tecmo management were crippling TN's development with significant budget cuts, rushed releases and refusing to pay out bonuses for work done several years previously on Doa 4. It's like a different company - NG 1 gave out Hurricane packs for free, then years later Tecmo were trying to charge for unlocking costumes in DoaX2. That's nothing like the same studio values at work there - under the circumstances, it's surprising NG2 turned out even half as well as it did.

And again, OT'ing enemies just feels so damn good.

It's not flawless, but god damn does it feel incredible.

Well, I'm still a huge NG2 fan of course. I've been through the game three times, which I don't do with many games. I don't think it's my fave combat game ever - I prefer the combo heavy Bayonetta with its brilliant dodge system - and I think the GoW games destroy it in terms of presentation and variety, but in the end it's up there with my fave games.

Curious to find out what Valhalla comes up with. :(

Yeah, as I said I can understand that and NG 2 didn't have the shine it could have when it was first released. Bayonetta left me pretty undecided - it's one of the few games I've skipped most of the cutscenes in without ever having seen them played out once, though the combat's got a pretty decent feel to it. The enemy design's generally a lot better than in Ninja Gaiden design wise, but the way they fight... just doesn't give me the same feelings of fun or adrenaline. To an unskilled eye both games may look like they play similarly, but they don't feel the same at all. Combo centric games in the DMC style just don't grab me as hard - I've had Bayonnaise* since launch and I'm still on chapter 14 since every time I pick it up I do a level and then stop. Not that it's bad, I actually kinda enjoy it it and Witch Time is inspired - defence is every bit as important as attacking in an in-depth combat game I felt Kamiya understood this much better than he did when making DMC.

Probably just got my hopes up too high from the hype.

God of War blows both games clean out of the water in terms of spectacle, but the actual combat engine doesn't come close to either of them. I quit playing God of War 2 halfway through - some point after I'd been on some giant chains connecting a few islands and big titan things together, I think. It's got a lot to offer in its own way, but the combat system, at least in the first two games, felt uninspired and dull to me.

As for Valhalla, I can't wait either... just slightly nervous about their funding. New studios aren't usually renowned for excess cash to sink into development. Shame they'll never do Ninja Gaiden 3, the website lists a lot of staff that have been with Itagaki since the NG1 days and before.

*Bayo = Mayo!

It's fair enough, it's a matter of taste in the end. Being a fan of the genre, I'm just happy that we got Gaiden II, Bayonetta and GoW III this gen. DMCIV wasn't bad either, though for me it's by far the worse of the bunch. I think Bayo has the best combat system, GoWIII has the best presentation, biggest wow moments and most coherent story while Gaiden II gave me the best masochistic experience of my gaming career. :(

Yeah, when my eyes burst in sheer rage during the start of chapter 11 I couldn't see for weeks. It was great. :(

And yeah, DMC4... I was kind of in two minds about it. I enjoyed the game, but had no interest in even slightly trying to master the game. Just didn't click for me, and one of my little problems is that I'm not a particularly combo centric player and I don't play for style - in fact, I finished DMC using the Tri Tri Tri sword combo though about 95% of the game. It was working, so I used it excessively and shrugged off the crap grade results I was ending up with.

As for me, Gaiden 2 leads the bunch soley due to the combat system (love those OT's, and the enemies don't piss around), Bayonetta comes in second (again, just due to the combat) and GoW... doesn't seem to be in the same genre to me. Works as an adventure game, but not so much as a combat one.

Though I did notice you were saying that GoW 3's got a much better combat system in the main thread for it, so I may check it out at some point in the future. I just got done with Dante's Inferno, and it was an okay experience which I kinda enjoyed. I had low expectations though, and that can make a game come across better than if you go in expecting the world.

• 1 year later...

As a partial warm-up for NG3, I'm back on mission mode trying at a minimum to get gold on the Vigoorian Flails survival and to possibly start getting golds on the other missions.

In the past week of trying, I've managed 1.96 million which was frustratingly close (got grabbed by a teleporting mage, the cheap fucking bastard) and tend to average around 1.4-1.5 million. I'll get it at some point, but the green essence spawning feels somewhat random and not being on x5 by the end of the first wave is just shit, plus I'm still rubbish at dealing with spider ninjas, then rocket ninjas + assorted other enemies. The rasetsu and mech section is getting easier, but I usually start that wave with about 1/3 of my health. Bah.

• 3 years later...

I completed this on Acolyte back in 2010. Started my Warrior run almost immediately afterwards, this time trying to do all the Tests of Valor and mop up the Crystal Skulls I'd originally missed along the way.

Over the next few years, I'd periodically pick up the game again, progress a bit, then abandon it for another few months. Last time I did so was in October.

I continued it again yesterday, completing Chapter 11 (the return to the Hayabusa village). Incendiary Shuriken Spider Ninjas ARRGHGRGGHGSDZZVXZVZCCAQ!!! :angry: Then I checked an FAQ, realised that I'd missed one or two Crystal Skulls in that chapter, restarted the chapter from its first save point, completed it again... only to find that I'm still missing a Crystal Skull somewhere in the game, because I only have 29. :(

On the plus side: I've done all the Tests of Valor on Warrior! :omg:

Now I'm on Chapter 13, after the save point past the centaurs, on the bit where you have to break through the egg sacs that contain enemies. (I am terrible at fighting those big tarantula-men Fiends.) Unfortunately I used up pretty much all my healing items in the Dual Fire Armadillos and Zedonius boss fights, and didn't have enough to buy many more at the next Muramasa statue.

Via NeoGAF, here is a video of a player completing Master Ninja without taking any damage. It's multi-segmented, in that the video is edited at the save points, and the bits I've watched involve a lot of baiting enemies around corners to unleash UTs, and running away to despawn enemies. But even so: rather impressive!

I've just watched how he does the Chapter 12 Zedonius boss fight that gave me such trouble on Warrior. Not sure what's going on there! :o

• 7 months later...

I completed this on Acolyte back in 2010. Started my Warrior run almost immediately afterwards, this time trying to do all the Tests of Valor and mop up the Crystal Skulls I'd originally missed along the way.

Over the next few years, I'd periodically pick up the game again, progress a bit, then abandon it for another few months. Last time I did so was in October.

I continued it again yesterday, completing Chapter 11 (the return to the Hayabusa village). Incendiary Shuriken Spider Ninjas ARRGHGRGGHGSDZZVXZVZCCAQ!!! :angry: Then I checked an FAQ, realised that I'd missed one or two Crystal Skulls in that chapter, restarted the chapter from its first save point, completed it again... only to find that I'm still missing a Crystal Skull somewhere in the game, because I only have 29. :(

On the plus side: I've done all the Tests of Valor on Warrior! :omg:

Now I'm on Chapter 13, after the save point past the centaurs, on the bit where you have to break through the egg sacs that contain enemies. (I am terrible at fighting those big tarantula-men Fiends.) Unfortunately I used up pretty much all my healing items in the Dual Fire Armadillos and Zedonius boss fights, and didn't have enough to buy many more at the next Muramasa statue.

UPDATE: Last night I fired up the game for the first time since the above post (see, told you I tended to leave it months between sessions!) and now, just under five years after finishing Acolyte, I've finally completed Warrior. :ph34r:

I'd forgotten loads about the game in the years since that first playthough - most of the second half of the game was so much less memorable than the latter stages of NG Black.

In particular, I'd forgotten how long the boss gauntlet in Chapter 14 was, so I used up lots of healing items on Genshin and Elizabet. At the save point and Muramasa statue after them, I realised I should probably restart the chapter and try to conserve a few more items. But instead, thinking that I'd only got one more boss fight to go, I opted to press on, with only three Grains and one Herb to save me. (I'd used all my Thousand Gods items much earlier.) Even after realising how much was left to do, I still decided to set myself the challenge of making do with what I had.

I had a lot more deaths on the Archfiend's first form than I should have, because I kept manually aiming my arrows at his head, so didn't notice that every headshot activates his belly weak point for massive damage. Beating Dagra Dai and the final final Archfiend mainly seemed reliant on getting a favourable pattern of attacks that let you safely deal damage: I breathed a sigh of relief every time the Archfiend did his easy-to-dash-through laser attack, or that thing where he keeps walking into the cliff for no apparent reason.

I tallied up my deaths as I went through those Chapter 14 boss fights:

Sixty-five. :lol:

So now I've done Normal, am I going to do Mentor next? Hahaha!... no.

• 5 years later...

@Talvalin @Vemsie@Kayin Amoh

I think it's you three who finished Master Ninja, right?

This is a really cool full run-through and commentary of the world's first no-damage run on MN. For years it was considered impossible/improbable and this is a great trip down memory lane from one of my favourite games, in all its flawed glory. The co-commentator can be a bit overly sarcastic and GDQ, if you know what I mean, but overall a really nice watch. 

37 minutes ago, Timmo said:

This is a really cool full run-through and commentary of the world's first no-damage run on MN. For years it was considered impossible/improbable and this is a great trip down memory lane from one of my favourite games, in all its flawed glory. The co-commentator can be a bit overly sarcastic and GDQ, if you know what I mean, but overall a really cool watch. 

Haha. I'll have to give that a watch. I wish we'd get another game with this kind of flashy, brutal combat.

11 hours ago, Timmo said:

This is a really cool full run-through and commentary of the world's first no-damage run on MN. For years it was considered impossible/improbable and this is a great trip down memory lane from one of my favourite games, in all its flawed glory. The co-commentator can be a bit overly sarcastic and GDQ, if you know what I mean, but overall a really cool watch. 

Cool. I will check this out whilst wondering to myself how I ever managed to get through this on MN. The first two levels being bastard hard, the multi-rocket bastards and d'ya like dags? Not really, and especially not with bloody swords and shurikens in their mouths.

So, by about 2015, I have managed to get gold medals for all but one of the Survival missions in the DLC (only needed the Kusarigama one) but managed to nuke my save data on my old 360 and so started again from scratch via BC on my Xbox One earlier this year, and after 6 years of not playing the game I was unsurprisingly rubbish, getting battered in the first wave with every single weapon I tried. The skill will come back with time, but those gold medals took long enough first time around and I'm not sure I have the patience any more (and let's not even talk about the other ridiculous boss rush missions - ugh).

14 hours ago, Timmo said:

This is a really cool full run-through and commentary of the world's first no-damage run on MN. For years it was considered impossible/improbable and this is a great trip down memory lane from one of my favourite games, in all its flawed glory. The co-commentator can be a bit overly sarcastic and GDQ, if you know what I mean, but overall a really nice watch. 

Yep!

One of the unfortunate things about a lot of MN runs is that they absolutely abuse UT's over and over - which makes sense given the whole invincibility thing, but can make them seem a little one note. I'll check this one out soon.

Skimmed a little of it, and they're talking about the Guillotine Throw being amazing. This is correct - imagine being hurled into a wall hard enough that your arm just explodes. What a goddamn awesome game.

Just now, Kayin Amoh said:

Yep!

One of the unfortunate things about a lot of MN runs is that they absolutely abuse UT's over and over - which makes sense given the whole invincibility thing, but can make them seem a little one note.

You're absolutely right, and unfortunately as it's often the safest way to play you'll see it here a lot. That said, he plays with a lot of pride - he rarely uses Ninpo, he doesn't upgrade all his weapons on the first stage by grinding, he rarely uses glitches and he doesn't skip battles.

Heh. I will happily admit to skipping fights and de-spawning enemies at every possible opportunity through my MN run. I did do the stairs fight though, which admittedly is just a long series of chaining UTs with the the weapon of your choice (obviously the tonfas, although I may have used the Falcon's Talons on MN for the easy Izuna Drop come to think of it), but what a glorious set-piece that is.

How can you grind the first stage though? Are there any areas where enemies spawn continuously?

38 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

Heh. I will happily admit to skipping fights and de-spawning enemies at every possible opportunity through my MN run. I did do the stairs fight though, which admittedly is just a long series of chaining UTs with the the weapon of your choice (obviously the tonfas, although I may have used the Falcon's Talons on MN for the easy Izuna Drop come to think of it), but what a glorious set-piece that is.

How can you grind the first stage though? Are there any areas where enemies spawn continuously?

I can't remember exactly where but they mention it the video a couple of places where you can get enemies to keep spawning. I think one is where you jump up to the area with the river running through.