Braveheart

choddo

Just watched this on Sky MoviesHD anytime thingy and while I've seen it before, I was absolutely riveted again and I want to find out if I should think it's as good as I do.

I think it's very good. Have I had too much wine?

I dunno. It would be hard to miss with the subject matter, really. It's like Schindler's List, which is also hard to criticise objectively. As a film, I think it's pretty poor; full of lazy caricatures and stereotypes with some nonsensical romantic entanglements and unlikely plot contrivances. But it gets the blood going with all that 'FREEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!!!' nonsense and the sheer carnage of it all. It's a good blockbuster; like a muddy War of the Worlds.

Always reminds me of a story in the Daily Record of how after watching it, locals in St Andrews would go out and start beating up English people (of which there are many). Ban this sick filth etc.

Don't really remember much about it, other than Mel's attrocious accent.

Great movie. Always makes my cry but then again some of my descendents fought in those battles...and I'm Scottish so it holds a special place.

A freind of mine who's Scottish hates this film with a passion, say's it pisses all over your history from a great height. Ruins it for a cheap buck.

As an action film, it's not too bad. You just have to get your head round the historical inacuracies I suppose. I can't stand Mel Gibson though.

Course it pisses all over history.

The Princess was about 4 when he was around.

He was at least a foot taller.

However, as a simply Hollywood movie showing how much the English fucked us over 900 years ago then it nails it pretty damned well.

I dunno. It would be hard to miss with the subject matter, really. It's like Schindler's List, which is also hard to criticise objectively.

Of course you can criticise Braveheart objectively. It doesn't just take a few artistic liberties, it's an entirely fictitious tale using the names of real people. It might as well be an episode of Doctor Who.

Great movie. Always makes my cry but then again some of my descendents fought in those battles...and I'm Scottish so it holds a special place.

I don't know a single Scottish person that doesn't think this movies complete shite because...

it pisses all over [our] history from a great height. Ruins it for a cheap buck.

Course it pisses all over history.

The Princess was about 4 when he was around.

He was at least a foot taller.

However, as a simply Hollywood movie showing how much the English fucked us over 900 years ago then it nails it pretty damned well.

ive seen the broadsword. How the hell anyone weilded that is beyond me.

Cracking film. Yep, inaccurate and all that, but by god, those battle scenes are amazing scenes in themselves. I remember the sound of the horses charging in that first battle when watching it at the cinema and I felt like I was being pushed back in my seat. Awesomeness.

Cracking film. Yep, inaccurate and all that, but by god, those battle scenes are amazing scenes in themselves.

Yeah, worth watching just for that. It really gets across how brutal and scary thousands of people running at each other wielding big, sharp bits of metal with the intention of hacking limbs off is.

Not that I have any first-hand experience of that of course....

I don't know a single Scottish person that doesn't think this movies complete shite because...

You obvoiusly haven't met many Scottish people then. Most folk up here love it, probably too much.

Hating it for factual inaccuracy would be to pretty much hate every single histroical related film to have come out of Hollywood, it's not a documentary. It's hardly an anti-English film either which it was labeled as by some during its release, as it does highlight the constant clan bickering and backstabbing that caused just as many problems as the constant invaders.

All in a decent film, not a great one in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...