IGNORED

PS3 Play TV

JPickford (retired mod)

* Make TV an interactive experience with Live Chat. PlayTV lets you text chat with friends and other PlayStation Network users while watching live TV, and without interrupting your viewing.

* A new premium programme guide that lets you plan your TV viewing seven days in advance. You can also find tonnes of information on programmes and movies, as well as discovering new things to watch by searching TV listings by genre, actors, directors, producers and more.

* Make sure you never miss an episode of your favourite TV series with the new Series Link ability.

* Tell the world what you like by recommending all your favourite programmes to PSN and Facebook friends using PlayTV's Recommend This Programme feature.

* Be inspired with PlayTV's Community Favourites feature that lets you see what your friends and the rest of the PSN community are watching and enjoying.

This is out on PSN now. £6.50ish on its own, £4.50ish if you have PS+. Called 'Live Chat Update'... don't think I'll be bothering but if anyone does buy it, post impressions please!

£6.50 for series link?

Right, Off to ebay you go Play TV

Indeed, I'm furious that this update leaves me with a PlayTV unit that only does everything it already did. The option to update it with extra features is a slap in the face to all of us who bought the device based on its advertised features. How dare they spend time developing additional software and expect financial reward for it.

Trying to set it to record a series on a channel that appears more than once in the channel list is fiddly. BBC1 for example appears twice in the channel list (at 001 and 802), so when trying to series link The Apprentice on BBC1 channel 001, Play TV sets it to record on channel 802. Not the end of the world but it's annoying to have to scroll all the way down to 802 to get an 'at a glance view' of your series link. The only way I've found around it is to set it to record a series then go into the series schedule and cancel the series link. Then it reschedules the recording to channel 001.

Just downloaded the update and now about to go and purchase the new PlayTV software. £6.50 seems reasonable TBH.

You might have to rescan (or whatever) cos BBC ONE shouldn't appear at 802. From what I have read on Digital Spy in the past, that's usually down to receivers not being scanned properly (usually when there's low signal).

EDIT: Got new software. Now how do you use the Series Link feature?

You might have to rescan (or whatever) cos BBC ONE shouldn't appear at 802. From what I have read on Digital Spy in the past, that's usually down to receivers not being scanned properly (usually when there's low signal).

EDIT: Got new software. Now how do you use the Series Link feature?

Rescanning doesn't fix it, it stills picks up BBC 1 and 2 at 001, 002, 802 and 803.

To series link, press X to record, then select record, then select record this series.

Hmmm... the 800 channel thing does seems to be something to do with reception (and two threads seem to suggest that it may be because you're receiving muxes from two different transmitters). Have a look at this, this, this and probably try this search.

Thanks for the advice, looks like low signal strength is the culprit. I can live with the hassle though, having a series link is very handy.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been using the new update since it was made available. I have to say I'm not totally impressed by the "series link" thing. It frequently keeps on adding episodes that are shown at the dead of night, usually repeats of ones already recorded. Also, it keeps on highlighting two episodes that are adjacent to each other as if there is going to be a problem recording both (despite that they really don't overlap). If I delete a particular episode (that is a part of a series), it simply sets the recording of a repeat of the exact same episode, even if it's on another channel). It's bizarre.

There's a new update for PlayTV, 2.02. No word on whether it solves the batshit series link bugs.

EDIT: It doesn't. Motherfuck! I've finally decided that I HATE IT. It's utterly rubbish as I have to constantly check the schedules to make sure it hasn't added shows being broadcast on other channels that have either been watched already (so are repeats) or are not actually part of the regular series (i.e. specials). In fact, just today it's decided to record the repeat of a show on ITV2 despite me already watching the scheduled-from-Thursday-on-ITV1 recording today, and by recording this repeat, it's pushed out an already-scheduled recording on Fiver. This is completely unacceptable and I'll be manually setting the recordings from now on, seeing as I can't trust series link to actually record a series.

my play tv keeps stuttering. a quick bit of google-fu showed that this is a hard drive issue; and to help this, the buffer setting should be set to buffer only when paused. this has helped but not completely.

the problem was much less pronounced on my earlier launch model PS3 (before it broke down).

anyone else getting this issue? seems quite common looking at avforums/PS forums.

sorry if already covered, i didn't read the whole thread to see if so.

pretty damn disappointing esp as sony don't seem to be acknowledging this issue presumably due to what might be a low play TV install base, and quieter-than-broken-xbox-hardware-owners complaint volume..

I only very occasionally get stuttering but I have always assumed that it's down to the reception.

What kind of stuttering do you get, is it the sort of stuttering where the sound is fine but the picture stutters?

I get that on mine.

Is there any reason why this couldnt show the free HD channels that are available like BBC, ITV etc?

Because HD in the UK is broadcast using the DVB-T2 broadcasting protocol, whereas the box is designed to receive DVB-T only. The box was designed a while back, the final decision by the broadcasting authorities to use the newer DVB-T2 was taken fairly recently (at some point in 2008 I think), probably too late to change it.

EDIT: Thanks to the stupid series link ONCE AGAIN prefering a repeated recording of a show on ANOTHER CHANNEL over something that is already scheduled in that time slot, I've had to manually set the programmes. So where is the option to repeat a manual recording daily, weekly or otherwise? It's disappeared, that's what. Once again, Sony has surpassed itself. Idiots. Just bring back the latest version 1 software, version 2 is a complete disaster.

it is stuttering during normal transmission and playback of recordings - presumably as the unit records the stuttering. it affects audio and visual. i'm not far from the crystal palace transmitter. it doesn't affect all stations, so mebbe it's a signal/aerial issue. grr

• 4 weeks later...

PlayTV 2.02 update knackers software installation.

There are two 20+ page threads on this on the Sony PlayStation forums, all outraged that at some point when loading 2.02 it's hung the PS3, requiring a complete deletion of the PlayTV software which results in losing all the recordings you still have. Unfortunately, this means having to reinstall v1.00 (losing the features introduced in subsequent updates) and dismissing the notification for updating to 2.02. Some of them have demanded and got refunds for the paid portion of the update.

Funnily enough it hasn't happened to me... but my problem with it is that Series Link is utter shite and implemented in a totally stupid way.

I've had a play tv in my amazon basket for ages now and not pulled the trigger yet.

Is series link working properly yet? That's pretty much my sole reason to purchase and if it doesn't work right I might not bother.

One other thing, can you set reminders on programs? So flick through the EPG, flag what you want to watch and have it prompt you or change channel automatically?

If I get it and it doesn't have all the features we use on our current tv epg the missus' just won't touch it, which defeats the point really.

Ignoring the freezing/hanging fiasco, Series Link is totally broken. See my last post and the one before that.

You can't set reminders on programmes.

If I was you, I'd steer clear right now. I wish I did, cos I paid £6.something and don't use Series Link cos it keeps on ignoring recordings and deciding that recording a repeat at 2am in the morning is better, even if I've already recorded it, watched it and deleted it.

Well, I just lost 65GB of recorded movies and TV. Cheers Sony!

Yes - I lost everything recorded over Christmas. The nippers will kill me when they find out that the Gruffalo has gone :-(

2.02 was fine for me until I installed Gran Turismo 5. The next time I started PlayTV - the hang of death.

Won't help, but mine is still working... :unsure: Right now I fear the hang-of-doom will fall upon my 60GB PS3 before Sony eventually patches it. I've watched and deleted most things on there now. All that is left is something I can't remember and The Incredible Hulk.

• 1 month later...