BBC3 at risk?

womblingfree

BBC3 is embarrassing, it doesn't do anything worthwhile. None of the shows seem to be edgy or interesting, they just seem to be things that hope to get onto BBC2 and then finally onto BBC1. They need to have things like a (relevant) version of Newsnight Review, more live music and generally things delivered with a bit of passion rather than everything having feeling like it has accepted it is not getting viewers.

BBC4 on the other hand is amazing, the exact opposite. Everything feels like it is on there for a reason and that people are happy to be there.

If they just set out their stand and then chased it aggressively I'm sure it would be fine. It needs to find itself a TFI Friday or something similar and stop the culture of things being "promoted" to BBC2 or "relegated" from BBC2. They should be different types of programs, not different tiers.

The main thing I want from TV is more new British comedy.

I catch some news and current affairs programmes, and the odd film, but other than football and The Wire pretty much the only thing I sit down and watch on TV is comedy*. Virtually the only new programmes I always check out are new comedies.

Since BBC3 started there have been slightly more new comedies commissioned. Some shit, some which would have ended up on BBC2 anyway, but a few more that might not have seen the light of day without the channel (say Snuff Box and the brilliant Dogtown).

So due to that I would want to lose it because there might be slightly less comedy comissioned, but I don't like the channel. I'd be happy if they spent the £93m just on new comedy - I couldn't care less what channel they transmit it on.

* Actually, I stumble across all sorts of programmes I really enjoy, particularly on BBC 4, I just don't seek out anything other than comedy shows.

Here's a few good reasons why BBC Three should die a death -

"Help! I Smell Of Fish!"

"Under 18 And Under The Knife"

"Most Annoying Pop Songs"

"Danny - Escaping My Female Body"

"Lucy : Teen Transexual In Thailand"

"Dog Borstal"

"Help Me Anthea - I'm Infested"

Some of the programme titles which will can be seen in the next 7 days. It reads like something out of TV Go Home, except it's frighteningly real.

I don't like to bitch about the BBC because on the whole I do like them (BBC4, CBBC and CBeebies are fantastic) but I've just turned on the TV to be confronted by The Worlds Greatest Elvis Auditions on BBC1. Enough with these talent contests. This is prime time Saturday night and we get this crap. I realise Ant and Dec are on ITV so the ratings on BBC would always be hit at this time but at least try and put on something more competitive.

Oh and Vernon Kay is hosting.

Jesus.

• 8 years later...

So they renamed it BBC II!? That's confusing.

In an age of smartphones we needed a whole new system that fits the digital world, not something analogue just shoehorned into it. We needed to develop something that worked on a TV screen and as an app icon. Look at Snapchat. Theyre doing OK without having Snapchat in their logo.

Amazing.

Marketing wank:

Ms Carr explained the three bars were chosen because the new channel is founded on three principles which underpin everything it does.

"The first is 'make me think'... The second is 'make me laugh'... The third, the exclamation mark, is 'give me a voice', which is what we will do for young people," she said.

Edit: Crudely animated gif to illustrate that.

v2mhIru.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/0f9df107-a2d2-4687-a691-887ed6fd4aa9

BBC Three's logo hasn't changed in 8 years so in an age of smartphones we needed a whole new system that fits the digital world, not something analogue just shoehorned into it.

But BBC3 has always been a digital channel...

Thanks to W1A we're cursed at the BBC when it comes to marketing and I dont want to come across all Siobhan Sharpe but forgive me some lingo.

No WE WON'T FORGIVE YOU. And since you mentioned it...

Ms Carr explained the three bars were chosen because the new channel is founded on three principles which underpin everything it does.

"The first is 'make me think'... The second is 'make me laugh'... The third, the exclamation mark, is 'give me a voice', which is what we will do for young people," she said.

Of course! It's so obvious when you look at that new logo.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 years later...

It's coming back!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56251020

BBC Three will return as a fully-fledged TV channel in January 2022, six years after it moved online.

When it returns, the channel will be targeted at audiences aged 16-34, broadcasting from 19:00 to 04:00 each day.

As a result, CBBC's broadcast hours will revert to closing at 19:00 - as was the case before 2016.

It currently runs until 21:00.

The move will still need approval from media regulator Ofcom before it can go ahead.

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Wonder if they’ll get Family Guy rights back for the fall-asleep-on-the-sofa crowd.

I'd argue that's exactly the kind of thing BBC Three shouldn't be spending its budget on anymore especially now that the whole series is so easily accessible on streaming.