NFL/NCAA American Football – Thread for experts and newcomers alike

Rex Grossman

Great games for the neutral on Saturday.

My Packers did better than I expected yesterday, but the outcome was still as I expected. Some strange play calling when we had it at first and goal leading to the levelling field goal. A near interception drop and dumb ass rush at a running QB rather than contain on third down costing at hellish FG distance costing us on that last 49ers drive.

Great games for the neutral on Saturday.

My Packers did better than I expected yesterday, but the outcome was still as I expected. Some strange play calling when we had it at first and goal leading to the levelling field goal. A near interception drop and dumb ass rush at a running QB rather than contain on third down costing at hellish FG distance costing us on that last 49ers drive.

Was touch and go, I thought we were going to do. I can't believe Hyde's missed chance for the interception. It was a very makable interception I thought. The injuries early took they toll as well, had to adjust and it took a little while to get it right. Capers did a good job this year improving the defence but he has to take another step for next season. The D just isn't good enough at the moment.

We also need some better luck with injuries, missing Mathews was huge for this game. Then Rodgers been out stopped us in our tracks a bit. Even though he had some good plays I still thought he wasn't quite at it.

Also, didn't see that last night but that is damn close to a block on the FG attempt. Does it that go through both arms?! :o

9 month wait now to see the Green and Gold play again :(

I hadn't seen that field goal block attempt. I was actually was cursing another sack when Rodgers somehow managed to not only not get sacked but come out with the ball and then complete a pass! Why we then tried to get Cobb to run and then pass on a first and gaol situation still baffles me. First down should have been Lacy's all day, or at worst Starks. Knock a couple of yards off each play and make the third down manageable.

I agree our D isn't anything like Championship winning quality. Injuries have been an issue all year for us (I'm starting to think our team is actually made of cheese), so it's hard to gauge how much work needs done on that side. We did find out that no Rodgers means our season is fecked though!

What the fuck was Colston thinking on that last play? Caught the ball, just step out and you get one 40yd throw to the endzone. Nope, I'll do an obvious forward pass and get penalised and that's that. Dumb.

Want to watch game 2, but I'm tired and off to bed. Hope Luck plays better than he did in last week's first three quarters - he certainly can't rely on that much luck again! Come on you horsies.

Luck got tripped by the Pats defensive lineman Joe Vellano on 3rd down, he was performing a block and stuck his (rather large) leg out behind him. The commentators said it should have been a penalty - rightly - and a new set of downs. None of the refs saw it. Of course Vellano was happy with the result as he was getting his high fives on the sidelines.

Broncos giving the Chargers a bit of a schooling in game control here. Manning has the bolts defense jumping all over the place. Quite amusing.

Broncos not really playing that well offensively by their own standards, but their D is dominating, so they've gotten a three score lead without looking particularly sharp.

Going to be hard for anyone (even the impressive Pats) to match the "greatest offence in NFL history" if they play to their potential.

Edit: Woot! Chargers finally get on the board in the 4th. Need their D to stiffen up now, and maybe, just maybe the Broncos will get the wobbles...

The fact that the 49ers have a recent history of going to Seattle and being battered makes me almost certain the 49ers are winning. I did think the same about the Saints game too mind you, so I'm just trying not to tempt fate. When Tate fumbled that onside kick though I thought it was curtains.

Really excited for these two games today. Think they could both be crackers. Will be watching AFC game via Sky Go (thanks Dad!) but I'll probably have to catch the second half of the NFC game tomorrow evening on Channel 4's highlights show - just starting way too late for me and work in the a.m.