Bangai-O Spirits DS

shynra

Ok, I'm loving this game, but at the same time hating it because it shows off my mediocre skills. How do you defeat the big fuck off robot on Level 8 of Treasures Best? I can't get anywhere near him and he just swats away all my bullets.

Bloody hell. :( Good work! I can get a minute 5. Must try harder.

Cheers! I actually think I might be able to better it with a better EX setup, since I totally forgot about arranging my weapons and just had my default setup. I reckon homing break or homing napalm might get the job done even quicker... Also, I think I was a bit lucky, the number of mecha destroyed at the first strike really makes a difference. I wasn't expecting to get such a good time though, I wish the replay had been a bit 'flashier' to show off! I think it's quite funny that I haven't actually been able to finish any of the 'other' category stages yet... Well, I've still got two of Treasure's Best to do.

!!!

If a level in this game only takes me 21 tries I consider it to be one of the very easiest.

So true!

Holy shit, 12-13 seconds for The Earth? :D I managed 00'16'96, and even that was pushing it.

I have beaten all the Treasure's Best-levels without ever using Direct EX. Actually, I've never used it at all.

I fucking love the bat and the sword. Those really huge blue fuckers have nothing on me if I have one of those equipped.

I just did that one. :( Fucking cunt of a level, especially since it's not allowed to shoot crates near corners that have those big, red, round spheres attached to them. Still, exhilirating stuff.

Anyway, HALP. How the fuck am I supposed to do Puzzle level 009?

You have to be really dexterous and boost to success - took me loads of goes, that one! It's definitely possible, and the time allows for 1 or two absolutely MINOR mistakes, but really, you have to be lucky or a robot. It's a shame there's no way to cheat it like the other stage where instead of impassable blocks, every other block other than the path is explodable.

Ok, I'm loving this game, but at the same time hating it because it shows off my mediocre skills. How do you defeat the big fuck off robot on Level 8 of Treasures Best? I can't get anywhere near him and he just swats away all my bullets.

Velos' technique is solid, but for a ridiculously quick win - 3-4 seconds, just get up close (not too close mind - you shouldn't be in the range of his sword attack, stay just outside it) and use homing/bounce or homing/break or whatever EX attack - when he repels it with his sword - if you're close enough, he'll be destroyed the instant you repel the shots back at him.

It's easy, man! :( Like you said, he swats away all your projectiles, so go mano-a-mano at him. Don't let his size intimidate you. Grab the sword or bat. Now, remember his only attack (his huge, fuck-off sword slash) will only work if he's facing you, so use your speed to your advantage and get behind him! Start pounding him in the ass like a mofo. He'll be too slow to turn and retaliate. Easy-peasy!

And one quick go later, and it's done. Cheers.

My left hand is broken. Seriously, it's hurting so much... but I want to play more. :(

EDIT: Oh, how I detest Longai-O's.

I can relate to the pain. It's just so addictive though!

I hate Longai-O's too. I don't mind ninjas now, but I hate the way Longai-Os can infinitely reflect attacks back at you. Grr.

Yeah, I thought I hated the ninja's and the hedgehogs the most, but Longai-O's are ten times more annoying. Grrr. Any good strategies? When I can corner them, my sword makes quick work of them, but otherwise...

I know a couple of fairly risky EX strategies for dealing with the oversized ones.

You may have noticed that sometimes when they reflect your EX, you're too close to be able to respond and are instantly annihilated, right? Well, you can do the same to them, but it requires some gambling - the method is something like an arms race! Basically you have to fire an EX into them and be close enough to them not to be instantly annihilated by the return but close enough to be able to tap (not hold) R or L to instantly reflect back. This should return at maximum power, so the missile sprites are already over him before he can react if you're close enough. This should kill them, but it's really hard to pull off.

It's also possible to overwhelm them if the above doesn't work - when your EX has been reflected, dash away a bit and use the bat to smack the EX back at them - it should knock out a chunk of their attack - now charge your EX while you wait for the rest of their missiles to home into the gap you just created and he reflects the missles which you just batted at him, use this to get a massive 100x4 attack and as long as you are still fairly close to the Longai-O, this should kill him. It's basically the same as the above, except it's a bit easier to manoeuvre yourself into the position to kill him.

I haven't found any easy strategies yet. :(

Wow, dude, I just tried using the Direct/Break EX combo (with a bat for some deflecting action) and it works like a mofo on Longai-O's! :(

Excellent news! I was just about to fire up and experiment! I'm wondering what reflect does to them at close range too...

EDIT: not that great - you use up more EX power than a homing mix EX anyway.

Well this has finally started to click. If anyone is still struggling I'd advise to stick with it - smashing a lone enemy into a wall with a volley of 100 missiles is one of the most wasteful yet satisfying things I've done in a long time.

Working through Treasures Best strictly in order. Currently on stage 13 (wide samurai), must have tried that bastard at least 30 times but I'm enjoying it now which is making the difference. The guide Tim Spoons It posted really helped make things clear.

Blu3Flame - I've experimented with the direct EX, but find that my EX attack is basically my 'panic button', so I need it to clear an area to give me breathing space. No doubt I'll need the direct EX on some of the more one-on-one levels.

I'm struggling with the FastBots at the mo - any advice for these?

I'm struggling with the FastBots at the mo - any advice for these?

Just dash out of the way when they're curled up. Whack em with the bat when they're stationary and then kill em with whatever projectiles you like when they're sailing through the air.

I'm not really getting on very well with Direct/Break, since I'm a fire in all directions kinda player. I'll give it a go on some of the more linear levels.

Wow, dude, I just tried using the Direct/Break EX combo (with a bat for some deflecting action) and it works like a mofo on Longai-O's! :D

Pffff. Reflect EX > Longai-O, as they say at Gamefaqs. :(

Fire a single homing EX at the mofo. He retaliates with an EX of his own. As soon as he does this (and the frame rate will lock up to indicate the time is now), hammer the Reflect EX et voila, 400 odd missiles shoved right back into his grimacing mug, point blank range. Then, and only then, are you allowed to shout "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!".

Pffff. Reflect EX > Longai-O, as they say at Gamefaqs. :(

Fire a single homing EX at the mofo. He retaliates with an EX of his own. As soon as he does this (and the frame rate will lock up to indicate the time is now), hammer the Reflect EX et voila, 400 odd missiles shoved right back into his grimacing mug, point blank range. Then, and only then, are you allowed to shout "GIGA DRILL BREAKER!!!!".

I'll get on it right now, SIR! I see my earlier problem was timing, I only managed to get about 286 back, which were instantly rebounded and crushed me every time!

:D

p.s. is GIGA DRILL BREAKER not even allowed with 100x4 reflect attack? I need every excuse.

Similar to velos, just done the spikey levels and the direct came into its own - it was essential for the ant level after too. It seems as though all the weapons are good. Except maybe the shield - anyone use it?

Any tips for "Don't give up"? I die within seconds every time.

Similar to velos, just done the spikey levels and the direct came into its own - it was essential for the ant level after too. It seems as though all the weapons are good. Except maybe the shield - anyone use it?

Any tips for "Don't give up"? I die within seconds every time.

Tried the shield for the ant levels, it didn't seem to do anything. :D

I die in 'Don't Give Up' no matter what I do. :D

1) Holy shit, this sound stuff really works! :D

2) Nice one, dude; I especially love how you finished off that FastBot with the bat at the end. :D

;) cheers, I like how you can hear me desperately trying to spam EX after it had run out to try and finish it quicker!

I've been messing about with the level editor a bit, and slowly I think I'm learning to make some fun stuff, so I'll put some up pretty soon I think.

Has anyone done any level editing? I remember Blu3flame saying he'd done some a while back, did that ever get posted up?

The bat levels (Other, levels 27-29) are so much fun and perfect bat and reflect training. A hundred bat men and a hundred balls and I'm just batting and reflecting it ALL from left to right. By the time I got to the end there was so much flying about that the huge robots were instantly toast. Amazing!

What a game!

I found a fairly foolproof way of dealing with Longai-Os - charge any bullet attack as they boost towards you, directed towards them, let go when they're about three Bangai-O's away, then as soon as they reflect back start hammering reflect yourself, it should go straight back at them x3 or 4 (because you're so close) and kill them instantly as they've no time to react. I did it three times in a row to make short work of that Other "Longai-O" level.

I found a fairly foolproof way of dealing with Longai-Os - charge any bullet attack as they boost towards you, directed towards them, let go when they're about three Bangai-O's away, then as soon as they reflect back start hammering reflect yourself, it should go straight back at them x3 or 4 (because you're so close) and kill them instantly as they've no time to react. I did it three times in a row to make short work of that Other "Longai-O" level.

Oi, are you actually reading this thread!? I patented that method on the previous page. :blink:

Best thing about Reflect in a big group of enemies is the knock-back effect, sending them spinning helplessly all over the place. A Reflect shortly followed by a Bounce or Napalm EX makes short work of just about any packed room. Doesn't work with turrets though obviously.

The key to Don't Give Up is to not give up.

Oi, are you actually reading this thread!? I patented that method on the previous page. -_-

ERROR

The other levels are all a bit easy after the Treasure's best ones aren't they? I must have done about 40 in an hour last night. Bit disappointing really. Some are still great, though.