Bangai-O Spirits DS

shynra

I just can't be arsed to put time into stage 14 and 16 of Treasure's Best. I really don't like those purple blocks.

EDIT: 14 is great once you figure it out, and 16 isn't too difficult, I thought it was one of the better levels!

That's why the 'Other' levels are not in 'Treasure's Best'. On the Japanese release all the levels were in one big group, for the western release they highlighted a few of the best levels and stuck them in their own section.

There are some diamonds in the rough though - I still can't bloody do Face or Sabu, brilliant examples of sheer bullet hell though they are. And you can't deny the rest are very inventive. I think some of the Other stages are just there to show you what's possible with the level editor.

BTW, has anyone been able to try out the co-op multiplayer? Bizarrely, my missus and friends aren't into this...

I've been strictly keeping to doing the stages in order, and not allowing myself to move on without completing a stage first. With the vast choice on offer from the outset it seemed like this would be the best way for my brain to cope with it. Needless to say, progress has been slow.

Has anyone else done this? Are the levels in the correct difficulty curve order, or are some of the early levels potentially some of the hardest in the game? With all this freedom to pick and choose am I missing the point?

I've been strictly keeping to doing the stages in order, and not allowing myself to move on without completing a stage first. With the vast choice on offer from the outset it seemed like this would be the best way for my brain to cope with it. Needless to say, progress has been slow.

Has anyone else done this? Are the levels in the correct difficulty curve order, or are some of the early levels potentially some of the hardest in the game? With all this freedom to pick and choose am I missing the point?

It's what I'm doing, for pretty much the same reason. I'm now stuck on a level where you have to run along tight corridors - but not dash since the corridors are lined with explosives. I've tried it quite a few times so far ...

I started playing it like you, but have since enjoyed flitting about haphazardly. Each play session I do try to make sure I finish the level I've started so I'm not left with all the levels I'm less keen on. Treasures Best seem much harder (and far less inventive) than the Other stages as far as I can see.

Think of it as your Christmas tin of Quality Street.

Treasure's Best have a pretty good curve with the exception of the two or three puzzley ones which I'd advise you to leave if they're troubling you. They're mostly action. After playing most of the Other levels they're definitely what they say, the best levels.

I started off doing levels in order, but I can't really be bothered now, and I'm having a bit more fun because of it. I did do all of Treasure's Best (in a vaguely orderly manner) before moving onto Other stages though. The puzzle ones I finished almost right away, so that wasn't an issue.

Think of it as your Christmas tin of Quality Street.

Very tempting to dip in and finish off all the golden toffees first though. :lol:

Treasure's Best have a pretty good curve with the exception of the two or three puzzley ones which I'd advise you to leave if they're troubling you. They're mostly action. After playing most of the Other levels they're definitely what they say, the best levels.

Thanks, that seems like good advice. I'll stick with Treasure's best in order for now and see how I get on. Maybe for the other stages I might be able to liberate myself into a more pick-and-choose approach

One thing - if you've finished Treasure's Best, you'll find most of the Other levels really, really easy. So if you're playing for challenge you might want to do the Other levels first. The only thing is, you'll play 10 easy ones in a row then be faced with a very, very hard one. They aren't ordered very well.

I did the puzzle levels first actually, because I was so crap at the action stages when I first started...

Stage 15 was a bitch though. I remember using some really dodgy technique to finish it. I still have no idea how to do it properly!

I'm now really, really liking this for the following reasons.

- It feels completely abstract. Levels seem to exist because they work, not because they fit within the confines of the game. It's a 2D sci-fi scrolling shooter, yet it has giant ants that are at odds with the perspective. You have falling block puzzles to solve. You find giant footballs for no apparent reason. You swipe at things with a baseball bat. It's one of those games, partly due to the sheer amount of onscreen chaos, that you can watch without fully ever understanding whats going on. And for that I like it.

- It has traps everywhere. Seemingly simple levels soon reveal hidden depths. It's a trigger happy game that demands caution, quick reactions combined with a steady thought process. Missiles bounce back, timed events escalate from bad to worse, a panic-induced EX attack can release even more enemies into the action. The number of times I've cursed my own stupidity is relentless.

- It produces amazing moments when you least expect them, Due the the flexibility of your attacks, combined with the variety of levels and opponent, you can unwittingly produce moments of carnage that you'll soon forget how you ever created in the first place. I'm not even sure that the game always expects them. I've seen a confused homing missle spin round in circles not knowing what to do or how to cope with the sheer scale of it all.

- It's tough, but if you die it's probably your fault. The slight exception to this being the insta-kills of a first play on a new level, otherwise it's a skill to be learnt and savoured. Weapon experimentation only adds to the challenge. Some levels I've barely scraped through, vowing never to return, yet I've since gone back and breezed through them like a tutorial.

- The slowdown adds to the charm. On the rare occasions that play returns to a normal speed it feels too fast. I like the crunching noise of two-hundred plus missiles combining. I like the feeling that my DS could at any moment explode into flames trying to process it all.

A downside? I can't always get down into a space quick enough, and my my brain is still overwhelmed by the choice of levels from the outset. Otherwise, after endless early frustrations and five-second deaths, this has slowly become one of my favourite DS titles.

I immediately boosted down to the lower right corner of the screen and took out the blue health cube with the tip of the bat. Then I Napalm/Bounce-EX'd the rest while boosting myself out of the falling blocks.

This is exactly what I did.

I can't get enough of the bat, ever. Nothing beats the satisfaction of taking out one of the big samurai by knocking a whole screenful of footballs, baseballs, enemies and missiles into their chops.

I think it's time we had some forumite level edits and share them with the sound load option. I'll try and knock one up this weekend.

Also, there is an IGN competition from 10 industry types to make levels which are available for download: here

D3, have done a really great piece of promotion for this: they sent copies of Bangai-O spirits to a bunch of western developers, like Infinity Ward and Naughty Dog to see what they could come up with in the level editor. I've just downloaded them and am about to test them out, but they can all be gotten and read about here.

D3, have done a really great piece of promotion for this: they sent copies of Bangai-O spirits to a bunch of western developers, like Infinity Ward and Naughty Dog to see what they could come up with in the level editor. I've just downloaded them and am about to test them out, but they can all be gotten and read about here.

erm, isn't that exactly the same link that I posted in the previous post?

Seriously - let's get some forum level designs for Bangai-O spirits on the go - I designed a wicked level today, and spent literally hours trying to beat it and make it even more hardcore. The level editor is amazing: intuitive and direct, and allowing you to knock up a playable level in minutes. The game itself has such a simple yet addictive mechanic, but once you start making levels it's addictive :D

It's like something I dreamed about when as a child, when I designed loads of extra levels for bubble bobble in the hope that they would make bubble bobble construction kit (like shmup construction kit) having clocked the speccy version.

I'm on a field trip at the moment, but when I get back to base camp I'll share some of my levels. Everyone should have a copy of this game. Everyone needs to submit levels.