rllmuk
womblingfree

All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

Replaying 0 on the Xbox at the moment, and it is a nice port. I was worried they might do a half arsed job on it, but on the X at least, it looks and runs perfectly. 

• Upvote 1

That was a nice video, he seems to love making these games. I started 0 on the X last night, the intro videos were blocky as hell and looked poor but once the in game started, it’s lovely and crisp and looks nice. I’m digging it! Played about 90 mins and didn’t want to stop!

• Upvote 1

Didn’t realise Yakuza 0 had come out on Xbox, let alone Game Pass! I got a little ways through it on PS4 so keen to give it another go on the X.

• Upvote 1

Playing 0 on GamePass.  So far the game (about half way through chapter 2) is absolutely dreadful, it's like it was made 20 years ago in terms of design and the weird cutscene style is like it was cut down to fit on a CD (cinematic/ game engine/ voiced static/ text based? What the hell?). Controls and camera are god-awful, the menus are hideously cheap and clunky to use, there's both too much explanation about game mechanics and somehow also not enough.... it's really crap.

HOWEVER..........

It's also awesome. There's so much fun and things to do, the story, characters and acting are all brilliant.

I didn't think any game would ever be like Deadly Premonition again but this really is it - glorious garbage.

I finished Yakuza by another name, Judge Eyes, last night, really enjoyed it. 33.5 hours of joy, the story was excellent despite the loss of the incredible characters of Yakuza, just as the credits finished rolling I was unsealing my Yakuza 3, 4, 5 pack, then installing 3.

I was going to start it today, but decided to take a break and try Astro Bot.

My PS4 won’t know what’s hit it, I played Yakuza 0, Kiwami, Kiwami 2, Judgement in a row :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Freeman said:

My PS4 won’t know what’s hit it

Probably a bicycle. Followed by a traffic cone as a finisher.

• Upvote 3

Saving Judgement for when there is a Yakuza draught. Looking forward to Yakuza 7. 

Only took me 10 hours to find the shrine in Kamurocho .. and a bunch of items that come in handy.

Are the platinum/gold/diamond plates of any use in the game or can those just be sold off to a vendor?

9 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

Are the platinum/gold/diamond plates of any use in the game or can those just be sold off to a vendor?

Sales fodder.

So im not sure if i missed this in the opening few hours, but i didn't realise you need to goto a phone box to save you game?

Fuck sake, played right up to the end of the opening section, when i finished i couldnt see anywhere to save game so assumed it was auto save.  Went back last night and no save game.  Raging! lost 2 hours and now not sure if i'll bother playing it again!

5 hours ago, fattakin said:

So im not sure if i missed this in the opening few hours, but i didn't realise you need to goto a phone box to save you game?

Fuck sake, played right up to the end of the opening section, when i finished i couldnt see anywhere to save game so assumed it was auto save.  Went back last night and no save game.  Raging! lost 2 hours and now not sure if i'll bother playing it again!

Yep, I did exactly the same and wanted to set the thing on fire then throw it in the fucking sea.

Painful, but lesson learnt. I'd say leave it a bit and calm down, then start again. It's worth it in the long run.

• Upvote 1

2 hours aint all that in the long run but yeah .. ancient saving method.

I just finished chapter 4 at 26 hours or so, cant help doing those substories. And Pocket Racing.

• Upvote 1

@fattakin, I did the same when I played it on PS4. I think there's a telephone booth nearby when the game first gives you total control. But honestly, if you play those two hours again, I guarantee it won't take two hours. You'll breeze through it quicker, not forgetting you can skip cut scenes as well.

4 hours ago, SneakyNinja said:

Yep, I did exactly the same and wanted to set the thing on fire then throw it in the fucking sea.

Painful, but lesson learnt. I'd say leave it a bit and calm down, then start again. It's worth it in the long run.

Glad I wasn’t the only one to do this. It took me about 6 months before I’d calmed down enough to do it again! 

Glad I did though because it really is a wonderful game.

• Upvote 1

This is as good a time as any to point out that Yakuza 0 is on Steam for under £4 at the moment! 

A fan-made video for the (incredible) Yakuza 0 theme song ‘Bubble’ that was criminally left off the western release:

I watch this every few weeks and it never fails to make me feel hyped af. Look at all the shit that actually happens in Yak0. What a game. What a series.

I was supposed to be flying to Tokyo this morning, and was booked in to stay at the APA Hotel in the real life Kabukicho equivalent of Kamurocho’s Theatre Square. I’m not even that gutted because I just got to the Kiryu chapter of Yakuza 4. I’m away to do that “pole dancing” drunken Heat action where you forward-roll-into-Hurricanrana somecunt in a blue hoodie :D Kanpai!

• Upvote 9

I feel ya @Calashnikov, have a flight booked in June that’s almost certainly going to be cancelled! Kamurocho is a very reasonable alternative. 

• Upvote 1

How on earth do I get out of rush mode? I started playing this soon after it arrived on Game Pass, switched it on again tonight and I can't remember any of the controls.

Also, how do I execute abilities? And I could have sworn there was some kind of lock on feature. I've been pressing all buttons and none of them seem to do any of these things.

39 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

How on earth do I get out of rush mode? I started playing this soon after it arrived on Game Pass, switched it on again tonight and I can't remember any of the controls.

Also, how do I execute abilities? And I could have sworn there was some kind of lock on feature. I've been pressing all buttons and none of them seem to do any of these things.

I would have thought it'd be like the other versions - use the D-pad, push up for brawler, and right for bear? 

Playing through 0 again at the moment. There really isn't anything like a Yakuza game. They feel like they've been made in a complete vacuum and just carve their own way through. 

Hell, I've still got 3, 4 and 5 to play...plus 6! I was naively hoping they'd come along on PC, but that's looking more and more unlikely. However, my PS4 will do the job at a pinch :p 

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I would have thought it'd be like the other versions - use the D-pad, push up for brawler, and right for bear? 

Thanks, I'll try that.

Only other Yakuza game I tried was a PS3 one where the pop in was so bad I couldn't stomach it for long. Yakuza 0 is miles better in that respect. The cutscenes are my favourite thing about it so far - even the low-budget bits where their lips don't move are very stylish.

That vid is pretty rad, but everyone knows this is the most slapping tune in Yakuza0.

• Upvote 2

Just finished Yakuza 5 (Finally!). Did every side mission and substory, still only got 35% complete. :unsure:

That’s every numbered game done now (including the remakes and the zombie spin off) apart from 7. Is Judgement any good? 

• Upvote 1

I'm about halfway through 5 I think - Haruka's last chapter. Found Saejima's early chapters a bit of a slog, though it got a lot better when he arrived at the village.

Think I'm on more than you, percentage wise, but I have been doing the cabaret club stuff as well as the masters.

I bought Judgement in one of the recent sales. It looks good, though all the trailers have english voice overs, which was a bit jarring. I'll be playing them all in order, so will be a while before I get to that, sorry.

11 hours ago, ann coulter said:

Should be L1 to lock on, when your heat is high enough and you're in the correct situation you'll get a prompt to perform a heat action (the buttons to press should appear on the screen - QTE style) but always start with triangle on the PS. So Y at a guess on the xbox.

10 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

I'm about halfway through 5 I think - Haruka's last chapter. Found Saejima's early chapters a bit of a slog, though it got a lot better when he arrived at the village.

I gave up on 5 on the OG PS3 when I had to play as Haruka, the fun I had before vaporised almost immediately. Never finished 5 as a result.

I'm finally getting around to the remastered Yakuza 3. It's quite primitive compared to the newer games! While there was some charm to running the orphanage in Okinawa for the first few hours, I'm much happier to be back in Kamurocho where the real Yakuza-style plotline is now kicking in.

The combat seems primitive though -- hardly any heat actions. I think I've already encountered the big criticism of the combat: Boss/named characters just block all the time. It's not too difficult, just boring. Since I'm using this quarantine to marathon through Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 for the story and the comedy, I'm not too interested in the challenge of combat, and I'd love to stick the difficulty down to "Easy"... but you can't once you've started. I'll remember to start 4 and 5 on Easy.

I started Yakuza 3 last night too. I know it’s a straight remaster of the PS3 version but it’s still rougher than I’d expected: foolishly I’d thought that Y0/Kiwami were “PS3 standard” but turns out they’re not, at all, and this looks an order of magnitude worse. Also, you can’t pause the cutscenes, which is infuriating, and even dropping back to the dash leaves them happily playing in the background so you miss stuff. 

It’s still Yakuza though! One look at Kiryu’s look of furious concentration as he’s chopping onions in the first chapter and I’m hooked all over again. 

I found Y3 the worst of the new remasters, for those reasons you stated, and the combat is literally the dullest I've seen in a Yakuza game apart from Kiwami 1, and for the same reason - the enemies turtle all the time, leading to chipping away at their health or forcing you to throw them all the time, so fights last way too long. 4 corrected this thankfully, but still has the outdated looking engine from 3.

I dunno what it is with 5, but I enjoyed it up to the Shinada part, and I liked the Haruka bits more than I thought thanks to the dance battles having some pretty cool music, but Shinada just rubs me the wrong way. I think its his fighting style I dont get on with - most of his weapons hit like a wet noodle unless you level up the skills for them (a new thing for a Yakuza game, and one I dont much like), but also his normal attacks look so unrefined and slow that enemies seem to block them most of the time, unlike with the other characters. Couple this with his side story master needing you to fish for a stupid marlin that took me near 3 hours to catch, as well as pool (Eeeeurrrg) and it just added frustration on top of it. More fool me for being a completionist I guess.....