All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

Yakuza/Kiwami 2 is still my favourite Yakuza. But even 3, which I found a bit of a chore, had a wonderful story around the orphanage and some knock-out memorable moments. Regarding 2, I was sad that 

Spoiler

Sayama

never made it to the later games (as far as I remember) as she was great.

Have to say that Like a Dragon may well knock 2 off the top spot if it carries on getting better, although the tone is very different. Ichiban is an amazing character.

Kaoru was great. I don't really get why she was completely dropped from the rest of the series, either. Even just being in a minor role would have been better than immediately fading from existence.

13 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Kaoru was great. I don't really get why she was completely dropped from the rest of the series, either. Even just being in a minor role would have been better than immediately fading from existence.

She's definitely one of my favourite supporting characters in the entire series. iirc they wrote her out because Japanese fans didn't like her too much.

1 minute ago, Mafro said:

She's definitely one of my favourite supporting characters in the entire series. iirc they wrote her out because Japanese fans didn't like her too much.

(eyelid twitches)

Saeko was an amazing character in 7, so she's probably next for the chopping block if those dunderheads have their way. I can only hope they've more faith in their characters and writing now.

I'm playing 5 right now for the first time.

I'm on Shinada's story and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, which I'm surprised by as I read that many players aren't too hot on it.

The Saejima arc is totally boring (ok, not *totally* boring, I did enjoy the hunting enough to finish the bear storyline). But half the time spent in the city with him it is a tinted half rendered version, the other half requiring you to go about town avoiding police), and Saejima himself is about as engaging as a bag of potatoes.

The Haruka stuff is a change of pace, pretty fun, but most substories end up as another dance off, and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of switching between her and Akiyama do I probably missed quite a bit.

I think Shinada's arc is as good as Kiryu's; it's fun because it's a new city, with new characters, and feels the most like a traditional Yakuza game even if his fighting style is a little bland. I spent an hour racing Chickens last night (each new Cochin being named after a different fried chicken place - Tennessee is killing it right now!) and doing odd substories that aren't always a basic fight.

I just wish the game would switch between characters more often. Like if the story shifted from Saejima to someone else once in a while it wouldn't feel like such a departure from the story for so long.

Anyway it's a long winded way of saying the have is heavily flawed but I'm enjoying this arc.

1 hour ago, Openrob said:

I'm playing 5 right now for the first time.

I'm on Shinada's story and I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit, which I'm surprised by as I read that many players aren't too hot on it.

The Saejima arc is totally boring (ok, not *totally* boring, I did enjoy the hunting enough to finish the bear storyline). But half the time spent in the city with him it is a tinted half rendered version, the other half requiring you to go about town avoiding police), and Saejima himself is about as engaging as a bag of potatoes.

I played the first part of Yakuza 5 on the PS4 about six months ago - played through Kiryu's section and got a fair way into Saejima's section (up to the hunting at least). Well I say "played the first part" but as I did most of the taxi stuff and all of Kiryu's sub stories that probably constitutes about 30 hours of gameplay.

I really enjoyed what I played, I thought Saejima was actually a bit more engaging than in Y4 where I really hated playing as him. Amazing what a haircut can do to a man really.

Tempted to just restart the whole thing on the Xbox now. Skipping all those long-ass cutscenes in the prison section in particular should speed up the process of getting back to where I left off previously.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I played the first part of Yakuza 5 on the PS4 about six months ago - played through Kiryu's section and got a fair way into Saejima's section (up to the hunting at least). Well I say "played the first part" but as I did most of the taxi stuff and all of Kiryu's sub stories that probably constitutes about 30 hours of gameplay.

I really enjoyed what I played, I thought Saejima was actually a bit more engaging than in Y4 where I really hated playing as him. Amazing what a haircut can do to a man really.

Tempted to just restart the whole thing on the Xbox now. Skipping all those long-ass cutscenes in the prison section in particular should speed up the process of getting back to where I left off previously.

Yeah it's like, great you jump in to a new city with Kiryu, and do all this stuff but  then game basically comes to a dead halt with Saejima.  But after that it picks up again and it's back to good old quirky Yakuza. Like I said it would feel more more dynamic if the game just gave you a bit of reprive from the prison/mountain section as it's such a slog to get through.

So I put on Yakuza 0 yesterday just so I could delete it and say I've tried it (like so many games on gamepass!). Ended up completing chapter 1 in the first sitting and I can't stop thinking of it today. What a game! The drama and characters are memorable and interesting. The combat is kind of like a 3D streets of rage. Hope it stays this good.

It gets better! I recently started Yakuza 0 and spent a good 45 hours on it, and probably could've easily spent much longer. I've just blasted my way through Kiwami (a much smaller game) and looking forward to ploughing through the rest on Gamepass!

29 minutes ago, Jackson said:

So I put on Yakuza 0 yesterday just so I could delete it and say I've tried it (like so many games on gamepass!). Ended up completing chapter 1 in the first sitting and I can't stop thinking of it today. What a game! The drama and characters are memorable and interesting. The combat is kind of like a 3D streets of rage. Hope it stays this good.

Oh god you are in for such a treat. See you in about a thousand hours when you've played all 8 Yakuza games back to back.

2 hours ago, Jackson said:

Just wait until you discover the weird and wonderful side stories, probably the best part of the series.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

What was that Yakuza zombie game?

I think I remember playing one donkeys years ago, but it might just have been a dodgy dream after a cheese sandwich.

Yakuza Dead Souls on ps3. 

I’ve just finished Kiwami and immediately jumped into Kiwami 2. There’s a great catch up summary in the beginning of K2 in the graveyard with a recap of Kiwami’s story. Do Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 also have this recap? I honestly don’t know if I can be arsed to play them (played 4 and 5 years ago but can barely remember the story) and want to move on to 6 and Like a Dragon.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:14, Jg15 said:

Just wait until you discover the weird and wonderful side stories, probably the best part of the series.

Haha yes I've done a few of them now. They're great. Also just discovered slot car racing! Incredible how fleshed out it all is. Not just throwaway minigames at all.

On to Yakuza 3 now and…it is very dated.

Am I imagining things or was there a fairly substantial visual boost starting with 4? 3 usually looks like a game with its roots planted firmly in the PS2.

57 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Haha yes I've done a few of them now. They're great. Also just discovered slot car racing! Incredible how fleshed out it all is. Not just throwaway minigames at all.

It truly is amazing the depth of side stuff available, from quests to mini games. Some of those games mind, like Shogi Majhong etc, haven't got a clue how they work and never will!

45 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

On to Yakuza 3 now and…it is very dated.

Am I imagining things or was there a fairly substantial visual boost starting with 4? 3 usually looks like a game with its roots planted firmly in the PS2.

I'm near finished Kiwami 2 and dreading the step down with 3. Apparently it does get better with 4 and then 5. Read that the game engines are as follows:

5, 0 & Kiwami - All use the predecessor to the Dragon Engine, its fine but everyone has giant hands.

3 & 4 - Oldest engine, early PS3 days.

Kiwami 2, 6 & Judgement - Dragon Engine (latest one).

Finished Yakuza 5 this evening (I say finished, I have a 'completion rate' of under 30% lol).

Without getting into spoilers, that last section gives you no space to breath does it? From the moment you leave new Serena it's 2 hours of cut scenes and Epic fights, but no save point! 

Others in the house wanted to watch TV, but I wasn't about to give up an hour's worth of play time hahaha. Ahh well, great game, though I'm a little burnt out on them and might give it a while before I jump into 6.

On 19/03/2021 at 16:45, Nosejam said:

I’ve just finished Kiwami and immediately jumped into Kiwami 2. There’s a great catch up summary in the beginning of K2 in the graveyard with a recap of Kiwami’s story. Do Yakuza 3, 4 and 5 also have this recap? I honestly don’t know if I can be arsed to play them (played 4 and 5 years ago but can barely remember the story) and want to move on to 6 and Like a Dragon.

All the mainline Kiryu Yakuza games have a recap. Yakuza 2 (Kiwami 2) has the in-game graveyard scene and 6 has a purgatory-like optional flashback sequence, but ALL of them have a recap accessible from the main menu iirc, including all the cutscenes per game.

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

All the mainline Kiryu Yakuza games have a recap. Yakuza 2 (Kiwami 2) has the in-game graveyard scene and 6 has a purgatory-like optional flashback sequence, but ALL of them have a recap accessible from the main menu iirc, including all the cutscenes per game.

Thanks, good to hear.

After being quite disappointed with Kiwami I was intending to just main line the story in Kiwami 2, but it has really surprised me with much better side quests, a gripping main story and of course the hostess club! Almost as good as 0 so far.

On 20/03/2021 at 13:25, Jg15 said:

It truly is amazing the depth of side stuff available, from quests to mini games. Some of those games mind, like Shogi Majhong etc, haven't got a clue how they work and never will!

I'm near finished Kiwami 2 and dreading the step down with 3. Apparently it does get better with 4 and then 5. Read that the game engines are as follows:

5, 0 & Kiwami - All use the predecessor to the Dragon Engine, its fine but everyone has giant hands.

3 & 4 - Oldest engine, early PS3 days.

Kiwami 2, 6 & Judgement - Dragon Engine (latest one).

3 is a big technical step down for sure but there's loads to like. It's got a great new setting, it has some of the most memorable characters in the whole series and the substories (of which there are loads) are a huge improvement over 1 and 2.

4's a technical step up but I don't think it's anywhere near as charming overall. You're restricted to Kamurocho for the whole game and the main plot is excessively stupid even by Yakuza standards.

5's a completely different beast though, like you say it's on the Zero engine and it's just rammed with content. It feels a hell of a lot more modern than either 3 or 4.

Re: Shogi/Mahjong, not sure if you have a Switch but if you do then 51 Worldwide Games is a great trainer for both of those games! Shogi's really just a variation of chess and Mahjong is surprisingly good fun. They're not essential to enjoying Yakuza games of course but you might be surprised how good they actually are.

31 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Thanks, good to hear.

After being quite disappointed with Kiwami I was intending to just main line the story in Kiwami 2, but it has really surprised me with much better side quests, a gripping main story and of course the hostess club! Almost as good as 0 so far.

Kiwami 1 is a remake of the first Yakuza they ever made. It's impressive how good it immediately was, but it wasn't until Yakuza 2 that they found their confidence and really started leaning into it.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Re: Shogi/Mahjong, not sure if you have a Switch but if you do then 51 Worldwide Games is a great trainer for both of those games! Shogi's really just a variation of chess and Mahjong is surprisingly good fun. They're not essential to enjoying Yakuza games of course but you might be surprised how good they actually are.

Yeah, it's like they did the main game, then threw in Bridge and Chess simulators as an aside. I paid as much as I did for Yakuza games for a Shogi game on PC back in the day... I don't know what level the Yakuza game plays at, but it's amazing it's in at all.

Yakuza 5 always feels like it's just about to buckle under its own weight - there's almost too much stuff in it really. It's an amazing game in all sorts of ways though, although I'd rather not go hunting again for a while ;) 

2 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Yakuza 5 always feels like it's just about to buckle under its own weight - there's almost too much stuff in it really. It's an amazing game in all sorts of ways though, although I'd rather not go hunting again for a while ;) 

It always felt to me like it was originally supposed to be the final chapter of the Kiryu saga. Like you say, there's so much in it. It's also filled with callbacks to the earlier games, and almost everyone pops by to say hello.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It always felt to me like it was originally supposed to be the final chapter of the Kiryu saga. Like you say, there's so much in it. It's also filled with callbacks to the earlier games, and almost everyone pops by to say hello.

Definitely - Yakuza 6 almost feels like a lovely coda to the story really. 

Which is why I like that one the best I think :) . 

(So far - yet to pick up the new one!)

Edit: Just waiting until Y6 is available on PC, so I can do a whole Kiryu run again :D 

18 minutes ago, JoeK said:

So far - yet to pick up the new one

7/Like A Dragon is my current favourite of them all, fwiw :) The main protagonist is incredibly charming and great, in fact their writing/characterization has never been better. Yakuza Studios at the top of their game.