All things Yakuza! - Start with Yakuza Zero

womblingfree

• 2 weeks later...

The Finale to 5 was fantastic as was the whole game. I did see something online about the final mission being very long even by Yakuza standards. So choose to finish it on a quiet afternoon off work. If I'd have been trying to just get it finished in a late night session before bed it could have been tough but I thought it tied everything up well.

Mini break to play some of my Game Pass backlog then onto 6!

For anyone who has Games with Gold through Game Pass or whatever, there's a free weekend of Judgment going on right now. I didn't buy it initially as I own it on PS4, but I downloaded it for a pre-Lost Judgment refresher and the 60FPS on Series X is really nice.

Started 6 over the last couple of nights. I'm not a huge fan of the bouncy, floaty Dragon Engine combat and the way in which the best way to level up in both this and Kiwami 2 is to eat constantly like you've got worms or something, but it's a nice-looking game and the upgrade to 60fps on the Series X is very welcome indeed. Feels quite small-scale and cozy already after the city-spanning madness of 5.

The internet chat room mini-game is a bit :o:o:o.

Lots of my favourite bits of Kamurocho seem to be fenced off in this one, though - do they open up later in the game or something?

6 was the first outing for that new engine. They pump these games out on a crazy schedule and the quality is always high - but that time around with a brand new engine, something had to give. And that was those closed off areas. Sadly.

As such 6 is the one that feels the floatiest in that engine. They tightened it up massively for Kiwami 2 and Judgment feels as tight as Zero ever did imo.

Onomichi definitely makes up for the smaller Kamurocho in Y6 IMO, it's got such a great cosy vibe to it. And because it's a tiny, intimate area, the attention to detail on everything is stunning. 

16 hours ago, gospvg said:

Yakuza 0 ending spoiler and question

Reveal hidden contents

How does Makato not recognise Majima’s voice?

Spoiler

Majima quite deliberately keeps his trap shut the entire time. He never talks to her. 

14 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Onomichi definitely makes up for the smaller Kamurocho in Y6 IMO, it's got such a great cosy vibe to it. And because it's a tiny, intimate area, the attention to detail on everything is stunning. 

Hide contents

Majima quite deliberately keeps his trap shut the entire time. He never talks to her. 

Spoiler

Damm missed then when it was happening but just watched a replay and when his name is about to be revaled he punches the goons.

I loved 6. Sometimes less is more, there's still loads to do but it doesn't feel artificially bloated like some in the series. It's way better than both Kiwamis IMO, and I really loved Onomichi. After an overdose of Kamurocho it's nice to have a place giving off such strong Yokosuka vibes, and a truly beautiful place at sunset, a proper chillout gaming location. 

So you know that feeling of emptiness you get after completing a game. I've been feeling that during the day and could not find anything else to enjoy so started playing Yakuza Kiwami. 🙂

13 hours ago, gospvg said:

So you know that feeling of emptiness you get after completing a game. I've been feeling that during the day and could not find anything else to enjoy so started playing Yakuza Kiwami. 🙂

It's worth going into Kiwami 1 knowing what to expect. It IS a remake of the original PS2 game, so sub-stories in particular are very rudimentary. Usually "here's a situation, beat up these guys, now you've resolved the situation". Nowhere near the level of, well, pretty much every other game in the series.

Also it has the worst "first major boss fight" in the entire series, which took me a frustrating half hour of chip damage to wear down. If you focus on unlocking the Kiwami moves as soon as they are available to you then you can avoid some of this pain.

BUT they did add a load of stuff for the remake: there's some stuff that follows on directly from Zero (a handful of actually decent sub-stories, a whole load of slot racing stuff), and the Majima Everywhere system which is a matter of personal taste but I kind of loved it for its sheer silliness.

I really liked Kiwami 1: the main plot is really great, it sets up the entire series (and in ways you probably don't expect), it's got loads of Majima in it, and unlocking all of Kiryu's moves was pretty fun. Just don't go into it expecting another masterpiece like Zero, if you're not having fun with the side-stuff then just blast through the main plot and move on.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's worth going into Kiwami 1 knowing what to expect. It IS a remake of the original PS2 game, so sub-stories in particular are very rudimentary. Usually "here's a situation, beat up these guys, now you've resolved the situation". Nowhere near the level of, well, pretty much every other game in the series.

Also it has the worst "first major boss fight" in the entire series, which took me a frustrating half hour of chip damage to wear down. If you focus on unlocking the Kiwami moves as soon as they are available to you then you can avoid some of this pain.

BUT they did add a load of stuff for the remake: there's some stuff that follows on directly from Zero (a handful of actually decent sub-stories, a whole load of slot racing stuff), and the Majima Everywhere system which is a matter of personal taste but I kind of loved it for its sheer silliness.

I really liked Kiwami 1: the main plot is really great, it sets up the entire series (and in ways you probably don't expect), it's got loads of Majima in it, and unlocking all of Kiryu's moves was pretty fun. Just don't go into it expecting another masterpiece like Zero, if you're not having fun with the side-stuff then just blast through the main plot and move on.

Thanks four hours in so far, the first boss fight was indeed tough. Glad you don't have to spend money to upgrade abilities now.

Started 0 today. Got it from Amazon for £14 which seemed a bit of a bargain.

Only 40 mins in at the mo, but can already tell it's my kinda game :)

Real shame I can't play it with my son...for a few more years.

Did this in Y0 the other day and it took me a moment to register that I'd won! I hear there's a trophy for this in Y3 and I dread to think of someone trying to get it for hours on end.

I'm supposed to be on my way to  assassinate someone but I'm spending forever just mucking around. ^_^

On 21/09/2021 at 17:34, Down by Law said:

I loved 6. Sometimes less is more, there's still loads to do but it doesn't feel artificially bloated like some in the series. It's way better than both Kiwamis IMO, and I really loved Onomichi. After an overdose of Kamurocho it's nice to have a place giving off such strong Yokosuka vibes, and a truly beautiful place at sunset, a proper chillout gaming location. 

Yep, 6 really opens up once you get to Onomichi, I'm loving this now. It's got strong Yakuza 3 vibes too, with the chilled-out rural location and all the local Yakuza chumps.

I was crying with laughter earlier playing the Ono-Michio origin story, nice to see where that thing came from after seeing him in both Kiwami 2 (as a hostess outfit) and Like a Dragon.

4bf3eb70-9a1f-43ee-875d-d66bad47bde6.png